Time travel and Asimov's Eternals

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time travel and its effects on history as depicted in Asimov's novel "The End of Eternity." The Eternals, a group of time travelers, manipulate history in order to prevent tragic events from happening, but in doing so, they also hinder human progress. The discussion also includes a recommendation for the book and a warning about potential spoilers.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Time travel and Asimov's "Eternals"

I was reading Asimov's The End of Eternity over the weekend.

The plot: Through time travel, the Eternals have been manipulating history so as to avoid tragic events (wars, etc.) that happened in the pre-manipulation version of history from having happened in the manipulated version. In so doing, they are also destroying humanity's creative potential and delaying the emergence of interstellar travel technology. Humans From The Far Distant Future intervene to remove the Eternals from history.

I thought I'd drop a note and recommend the book to anyone into time travel.

Physics news on Phys.org

I second that recommendation. That's always been one of my favorite books.

Great should have came with spoiler warnings :/

Don't worry. The future will have been irrevocably changed by time you reach the end of the book.

1. Can time travel actually be possible?

There is currently no scientific evidence or technology that supports the idea of time travel. While it is a popular concept in science fiction, it remains a theoretical concept and has not yet been proven to be possible.

2. How does Asimov's concept of the Eternals relate to time travel?

Asimov's Eternals are a group of immortals who have the ability to manipulate time. They are able to travel through different periods and manipulate events in the past to shape the future. This concept is often used in Asimov's stories to explore the consequences of time travel and the potential dangers it poses.

3. Is time travel a paradox?

There are many theories and discussions about the possibility of time travel creating paradoxes, such as the grandfather paradox or the butterfly effect. However, there is no definitive answer as it is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven to be possible.

4. How does the theory of relativity factor into time travel?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, plays a significant role in the concept of time travel. It suggests that time is relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. This theory is often used to explain the potential effects of time travel, such as time dilation and the possibility of traveling to different points in time.

5. Are there any real-life examples of time travel?

While time travel remains a theoretical concept, there have been some scientific experiments that have shown small effects of time dilation, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment. However, these effects were very small and do not support the idea of time travel as portrayed in fiction. There is currently no evidence of any significant time travel being achieved in real life.