Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Travel Paradox Involving Couples!

1. Jun 27, 2012 #1
    Has Anyone ever thought of this time travel paradox before?
    That a couple or more (some men and some women ok) went back in time via a Time Machine and started, i.e. seeded the Human race? That is the Human Race is a Perpetual Loop?
    What would this be called??
    A feedback loop?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nonsense.

4. Jun 27, 2012 #3
    You could call it the season 3 episode 19 of Futurama paradox.

5. Jun 27, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Or any of a number of really bad science fiction novels (including some by authors who should have known better).

6. Jun 27, 2012 #5
    Ha, my last response made me feel kind of mean. At least davo-3000 is curious.

It's preferred to stay away from the falsely seeming "glamorous" side of relativity that the discovery channel often dives into. This question alone assumes the possibility to travel backwards in time, a feat yet to be scientifically confirmed as possible. No one on this forum would know what would happen in this scenario because we can't even fathom the preceding breakthroughs in our understanding of the laws of Physics.

Hope that helps ease your curiosity in some way davo-3000.

7. Jun 28, 2012 #6
    You have no free will in the universe to play around like that. If you were to travel back in time it must be predetermined. More relevant is time travel to the future which many say is more likely and again the answer is that all of your actions are as predetermined as are the future actions you are visiting.. it's all connected like a puzzle so you can never break it.

The reason people think of these paradoxes is because they think that the future and past are distinct in alteration- but they are not- they are just as much connected as the beginning and end of a movie.

8. Jun 29, 2012 #7

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You obviously don't believe a word of what you are saying or you wouldn't waste your time trying to persuade anyone else to this kind of nonsense. And you obviously have never made a movie--a lot of free will goes into such an undertaking.

And if you object to what I'm saying, it just goes to show that you don't believe my actions are predetermined.

9. Jun 29, 2012 #8

Einstein, if I claim everything is predetermined, THen that truly means that everything is predetermined..

my need to persuade is predetermined, your reaction to my attempt to persuation is predetermined, my reaction to your comment is predetermined.. your reaction to this comment is predetermined e.t.c What part of this is difficult to understand?

10. Jun 29, 2012 #9

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't think you really believed it.

11. Jun 29, 2012 #10
    It's called cause and effect..you think all your thoughts arrise from no source?
    They are all deduced from the previous mental state all starting from your birth.

My radical "belief" is shared by Einstein, Shroedinger, Hume, Russell, Krauss, Davies, Caroll, Hawkings e.t.c

12. Jun 29, 2012 #11

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There you go again, trying to persuade me to change my mind.

13. Jun 29, 2012 #12
    You don't seem to see that there is a reason for every action...for instance if it's predetermined that you will become a determinist, then of course something must bring that about such as persuation from me.

Similarly when you advice your friend not to go out in a storm, you are not just saying something meaningless, but actually you are predetermined to either stop your friend from going out, or predetermined to fail from stopping him.

You don't seem to get that none of our comments are meaningless, rather they serve as the instrument, tool for the future events to occur.

14. Jun 29, 2012 #13

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Without free will, all comments are meaningless (or nonsense). With free will, only some comments are meaningless (or nonsense). Without free will, we cannot determine which comments have meaning and which are nonsense. My free will allows me to determine that this thread contains a lot of nonsense.

15. Jun 29, 2012 #14
    BEST EPISODE EVER!

Must be the "Upgrade/downgrade" Bender one.

16. Jun 29, 2012 #15
    From a causal perspective for sure it's "connected". but from a timeline perspective we each have our own "movie" timeline. Each of our own movie timelines has a distinct past/future.

I find it misleading to use the terms "past" & "future" traditionally when discussing relativity. Because of the point you make of them being traditionally seen as [STRIKE]distinct[/STRIKE] absolute. Which they are along a single world line(?) but are not in comparison with multiple world lines.

If someone is asking if we can go back in time, I would guess they wouldn't have a clear understanding of past/future from a relativity perspective.

Your belief in such a strong "deterministic universe" is surprising. You don't even excuse yourself, other than name dropping who you agree with.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  17. Jun 29, 2012 #16

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So you just said that because you claim something, that makes it true?

18. Jun 29, 2012 #17

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, he couldn't help himself!

19. Jun 29, 2012 #18
    No it's a deductive argument:

<If> I sincerely hold to the proposition: <"everything is predetermined"> I can still make active propositions without contradicting my convictions. This other individual seemed to implie that I was somehow irrational to be commiting myself to an act of persuation.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  20. Jun 29, 2012 #19
    See there you go again..... WHy on earth would predeterminism make us unable to distinguish truth from falsehood ?

Gosh maybe I should write a book or something so much predetermined confusion:smile:

O well let's see if I truly become predetermined to write it.

See? I can make sense of every single statement while holding to my dear determinism.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook