Tips on Balancing Your Own Personal Studies and Full Time Work

In summary, anyone out there work in a profession not math-related that still enjoys studying pure mathematics on a pretty serious basis? According to the speaker, this is possible if one is dedicated to it. One can find key texts in Algebra, Analysis, and Topology, and study them for an hour a day. The speaker also suggests reading a lot of math and doing practice problems. Finally, if one is serious about mathematics, nothing will stop them from learning it.
jmjlt88
Anyone out there work in a profession not math-related that still enjoys studying pure mathematics on a pretty serious basis? What started out a casual side project for me has turn into something very serious. Armed with key texts in Algebra, Analysis, and Topology, I am ready to do battle. Can anyone share some tips? Thus far, I have had at least an hour studying a day since June 9, and I have one textbook completely finished front to back (almost every exercise). I am not so sure that I will have time for these 3-5 hour studying binges that I have the opportunity to do once in a while starting next week, but I am hoping to stay consistent with 1-2 hours a day.

Looking forward to some input. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I find myself in a similar situation. I have an degree in economics and became interested in mathematics around the time I graduated. While there is a low probability I will never be a great and famous mathematician, I do enjoy learning it. I have taken the calculus series at a community college but find myself in a situation where I need to start a real career. Hopefully, I can still take courses and eventually earn maybe a master's degree but I am content in the knowledge that this may not pan out. To me, mathematics is just a way of life, like being a Christian or Jew or Muslim. Once famous example of a mathematician who pursued "The Way" as a hobby was Pierre Fermat, his profession was a being a lawyer.

My tips? I suggest reading a lot of math and more importantly, doing as many practice problems as you find enjoyable. The Shaum's outline series is great for worked examples and problems. I loaded up on a few of these outlines. Dover publishing comes to mind for many cheap texts that cover pretty much every subject in math. These books are very dense. You can also invest in some more pricey current texts when funds are available. There are lectures and videos on YouTube of elementary and even some advanced courses if you need to see a lecture or two. If you are serious about math then nothing will stop you from learning it.

If you're really interested, you could probably find some advance math lectures online from universities. Just an idea :)

(MIT's OCW program comes to mind)

1. How can I manage my time effectively while balancing work and personal studies?

One tip is to create a schedule or to-do list to prioritize your tasks and allocate specific times for work and studying. It's also important to set realistic goals and to avoid over-scheduling yourself.

2. What are some strategies for staying motivated and avoiding burnout?

Some strategies include taking breaks, setting small achievable goals, and finding a balance between work and leisure activities. It's also important to remind yourself of your long-term goals and the benefits of balancing work and studies.

3. How can I communicate my needs to my employer while juggling full-time work and personal studies?

It's important to have open and honest communication with your employer about your workload and any conflicts with your studies. It may be helpful to propose a flexible schedule or to negotiate a reduced workload during periods of heavy study.

4. What are some effective study techniques for busy individuals?

Some effective study techniques include breaking up study sessions into smaller chunks of time, eliminating distractions, and using mnemonic devices to aid in memorization. It's also important to find a quiet and comfortable study space.

5. How can I maintain a work-life balance while juggling full-time work and personal studies?

It's important to prioritize self-care and make time for activities outside of work and studying. This can include hobbies, exercise, spending time with loved ones, and setting aside time for relaxation. It's also important to learn to say no to additional commitments if they will interfere with your work-life balance.