Titanium dioxide solution in oil

• Thread starter SaketIndra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary: I'm not sure what you're asking. In summary, the individual is seeking assistance in formulating a TiO2 suspension and is encountering difficulty in finding an appropriate dispersant and anti-settling agent. If you know of anyone who may be interested in assisting, please let me know.
SaketIndra
Hello everyone,

I am seeking assistance in preparing a Titanium dioxide solution in oil. Below are the chemical compositions of the solution:

1. Titanium Dioxide (TiO2): 20% by weight, with the product name Tronox CR828.
  2. Solvent/Oil: Isoparaffin, constituting 75% by weight, with the product name ISOPAR M.
  3. Surfactant: Sorbitan trioleate, comprising 5% by weight.
However, I am encountering an issue where the solution clumps together and settles down in the beaker after homogenization. I'm unsure of what I might be doing wrong.

Likes AlexB23
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Technically it is not a solution, but a suspension (or a colloid). Whether it is stable or not depends (between other factors) on the suspended particles size.

Are you 100% sure the recipe guarantees a stable mixture and calls for exactly these brands of components? Such things tend to be highly erratic.

Borek said:
Technically it is not a solution, but a suspension (or a colloid). Whether it is stable or not depends (between other factors) on the suspended particles size.

Are you 100% sure the recipe guarantees a stable mixture and calls for exactly these brands of components? Such things tend to be highly erratic.
Hello, you're absolutely correct. This refers to a colloidal solution where TiO2 is intended to be suspended. After conducting some research, I have focused on formulating a microencapsulated suspension of TiO2 and Fe3O4 nanoparticles for use in magnetophoretic displays.
1688104579868.png

While I understand the necessity of using a suitable dispersant and anti-settling agent, I'm facing difficulties in identifying the most appropriate options. If you happen to know any interested individuals or experts, I would be grateful if you could provide their information. I am willing to create a freelancing job request on their preferred platform, and they can assist me in this matter. Please inform me if you have any leads.

Isopar M is a fairly low viscosity fluid. Have you tried using something thicker?

Have you tried adding the Fe3O4 to the mixture that you have created and encapsulating it? It may have different properties in that physical configuration.

BoB

What is titanium dioxide solution in oil used for?

Titanium dioxide solution in oil is primarily used as a pigment in various cosmetic and skincare products. It is effective in providing opacity and whiteness, making it ideal for formulations such as sunscreens, where it also helps in scattering UV light to protect the skin from sun damage.

Is titanium dioxide solution in oil safe for use in cosmetics?

Yes, titanium dioxide is generally considered safe for use in cosmetics, especially in its coated forms which are used in sunscreen products. It is approved by major health authorities like the FDA and the European Commission for use in cosmetic products, including those applied to the lips and eye area.

How is titanium dioxide dispersed in oil?

Titanium dioxide is dispersed in oil by using dispersing agents that help to stabilize the mixture and prevent the titanium dioxide particles from agglomerating. This process involves mechanical mixing and sometimes sonication to ensure even distribution of titanium dioxide particles throughout the oil base.

Can titanium dioxide solution in oil be used in water-based formulations?

No, titanium dioxide dispersed in oil is not suitable for direct use in water-based formulations due to its oil solubility. However, it can be incorporated into water-based products through the use of emulsifiers or by creating a water-in-oil emulsion where the oil phase contains the titanium dioxide.

What are the stability concerns with titanium dioxide solution in oil?

Stability concerns with titanium dioxide solutions in oil include the potential for particle agglomeration and sedimentation over time. To address these issues, proper formulation and the use of suitable stabilizers and dispersants are crucial. Additionally, exposure to high temperatures and UV light should be minimized to maintain the stability and effectiveness of the titanium dioxide dispersion.