1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Titration - Calculating the endpoint

1. Oct 21, 2006 #1
    Hello,

I have titrated 25 ml of NaOH with 25 ml of HCl. Both are 0.1M.
    I need to calculate the expected endpoint for the titration of the strong base with the strong acid.

I know that:
    0.025 L x 0.1M = 2.5 x 10^-3 moles of NaOH and HCl each.
    I know that I need the same volume of both to do the titration.

But what I don't understand is: how do I calculate the endpoint? What is it supposed to be, a mole amount, a M amount, a volume, a pH?...

Thank you,

J.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2006 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Question is ambiguous for me. You are asked either about volume of titrant or about pH.

4. Oct 21, 2006 #3
    That's what I thought too...

So, if it is the volume of titrant, since the 2 chemicals have the same molarity, the volume of the initial solution would be equal to the volume of the titrant. So, if they ask for the volume, I can do it.

What if I have to calculate the pH at the endpoint? I know how to predict whether it will be above at or below 7.0 depending on what we start with and what the titrant is, but I am not sure what the formula is to find the exact pH...

Any idea?

Thank you!

5. Oct 21, 2006 #4
    Is this an actuall reaction you are doing or just on paper? In the past all titrations ive done have been volume based.

6. Oct 22, 2006 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Acid/base titration curve calculation. Don't worry about the beginning (description of the general approach). Scroll to read the text below the equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?