1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Titration of thiosulphate with KIO3, molarity? PLEASE HELP

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am so confused.

I am doing a "Iodometric Titration of Copper in Brass" lab.

We first made a thiosulphate solution by mixing 500 mL water, 12.5 g of Na2S203 * 5H20, and .05 g Na2CO3. This solution is "supposed" to come out to be about 0.1 M. My actual measurements were about 12.5002 g of Na2S2O3*5H20 and .0502 g Na2CO3.

We then made an approximately 0.02M KI03 solution where I mixed 2.1400g KIO3 dissolved in water to 500mL.

We then added 25.00 mL of this KIO3 solution to a flask, as well as 1mL concentrated HNO3 and 1g of KI. Then we titrated this with our Na2S2O3 solution.

I need to figure out the molarity of my Na2S2O3 (thiosulphate) solution, but I don't know how.

Someone please help my lab report is due tomorrow and I don't even know where to start and I'm starting to panic. :(

I can't do the rest of my report until I can figure this out.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3
    Yes! I didn't know these equations and my google searches were not helping me at all. This definitely clears up a lot!

Thank you! crisis averted! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook