Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Titration of thiosulphate with KIO3, molarity? PLEASE HELP

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am so confused.

I am doing a "Iodometric Titration of Copper in Brass" lab.

We first made a thiosulphate solution by mixing 500 mL water, 12.5 g of Na2S203 * 5H20, and .05 g Na2CO3. This solution is "supposed" to come out to be about 0.1 M. My actual measurements were about 12.5002 g of Na2S2O3*5H20 and .0502 g Na2CO3.

We then made an approximately 0.02M KI03 solution where I mixed 2.1400g KIO3 dissolved in water to 500mL.

We then added 25.00 mL of this KIO3 solution to a flask, as well as 1mL concentrated HNO3 and 1g of KI. Then we titrated this with our Na2S2O3 solution.

I need to figure out the molarity of my Na2S2O3 (thiosulphate) solution, but I don't know how.

Someone please help my lab report is due tomorrow and I don't even know where to start and I'm starting to panic. :(

I can't do the rest of my report until I can figure this out.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3
    Yes! I didn't know these equations and my google searches were not helping me at all. This definitely clears up a lot!

Thank you! crisis averted! :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook