Calculate the molarity of a NaOH solution

• Thread starter casey619
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molarity
It's possible that there was a calculation error or a rounding error. It's also possible that the actual answer given was rounded to three significant figures, while your answer was rounded to four. In summary, the conversation is about calculating the molarity of a NaOH solution using two equations and a back-titration method. The solution is found to be 2.239 M, but the actual answer given is 1.974 M, possibly due to rounding or calculation errors.
casey619

Homework Statement

A 3.125 g sample of primary standard of Na2CO3 was treated with 40.00 mL of dilute perchloric acid. The solution was boiled to remove CO2, following which the excess HClO4 was back-titrated with 10.12 mL of dilute NaOH. In a separate experiment, it was established that 27.43 mL of the HClO4 neutralized the NaOH in a 25.00 mL portion. Calculate the molarity of the NaOH solution. Hint: Solve this problem by considering the two equations below

Homework Equations

For the back-titration (1): total amount of perchloric acid: n1(HClO4) = 2n(Na2CO3) + n1(NaOH)

For the acid-base titration (2): n2(NaOH) =n2(HClO4)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first calculate the moles for equation (1)
(40/1000)[HClO4]=2*(3.125g/ (105.99g/mol) +(10.12/1000)[NaOH]

then eq. (2)

(27.43/1000)[HClO4]=(25/1000)[NaOH]

I then substituted equation 2 into equation 1. My final answer for [NaOH] was 2.239. However the actual answer was 1.974. Can somebody please point out what I did wrong. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything wrong with the solution, I got 2.239 M as well.

1. What is molarity?

Molarity is a unit of concentration that measures the number of moles of a solute per liter of solution. It is often used in chemistry to express the concentration of a solution.

2. How do you calculate the molarity of a solution?

To calculate the molarity of a solution, you need to know the number of moles of the solute and the volume of the solution in liters. The formula for molarity is M = moles of solute / volume of solution (in liters).

3. What is the solute in a NaOH solution?

The solute in a NaOH solution is sodium hydroxide, which is a strong base. It is commonly used in chemical reactions and as a reagent in laboratories.

4. How do you determine the concentration of a NaOH solution?

The concentration of a NaOH solution can be determined by measuring the volume of the solution and the mass of the solute. From there, you can use the molarity formula to calculate the concentration.

5. Why is it important to know the molarity of a NaOH solution?

Knowing the molarity of a NaOH solution is important because it allows you to accurately measure and control the concentration of the solution in chemical reactions. It can also help in determining the correct amount of the solution needed for a particular experiment or process.