Titration question 2 equivalence points. Am i right?

In summary, the question is about determining the molar mass of a weak acid (HA) based on its reaction with 0.110 M NaOH. The answer is 86.63 g/mol. The next question asks for the Ka of the acid based on a pH of 4.34 after adding 8.40 mL of NaOH. Using the concept that pH = pKa at the half equivalence point, the Ka is calculated to be 4.17x10^-5.
A_Munk3y
Titration question 2! equivalence points. Am i right?

Homework Statement

this is the originial question.
A 0.149 g sample of a weak acid (HA) requires 16.80 mL of 0.110 M NaOH to completely reach the equivalence point. What is the Molar Mass of the acid?
and i got 86.63 g/mol. I have already made sure that it is right.

the question continues,
If the pH of the weak acid in question 1 (above) is 4,34 after 8.40 ml of the NaOH was added, what is the Ka of the acid?

Homework Equations

i think i remember this. At the half equivalence point, PH=PKa

The Attempt at a Solution

since PH=Pka at half equivalence point, the PH=10-4.38
giving me 4.17x10-5

am i right? :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Your concept is correct. I did not examine your values, so just trust your concept and you may do your own rechecking of the values.

I cannot confirm or deny if your calculations are correct without seeing your work and knowing the specific weak acid in question. However, your approach to using the half-equivalence point to determine the pKa of the acid is correct. Remember to always double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Good job on your efforts!

What is titration?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution by adding a known amount of another substance with a known concentration until a chemical reaction between the two is complete.

What is an equivalence point in titration?

An equivalence point is the point in a titration where equal amounts of the two substances involved have reacted and the reaction is complete. This is often indicated by a color change or a sudden change in pH.

How do you calculate the equivalence point in titration?

The equivalence point in titration can be calculated by using the stoichiometric ratio between the two substances involved in the reaction. This ratio can be determined from the balanced chemical equation for the reaction.

What factors can affect the equivalence point in titration?

The equivalence point in titration can be affected by several factors, such as the accuracy of the volume measurements, the strength and concentration of the substances involved, and the presence of impurities or side reactions in the solution.

Why is it important to accurately determine the equivalence point in titration?

The equivalence point in titration is important because it allows us to accurately determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. This information is crucial in many fields, including chemistry, medicine, and environmental science.