To all engineers/engineers to-be

• Thread starter Mercutio47
  • Start date
In summary: I hate electronics! I've been an engineer all my life and loved it. However, I do believe I could have any of a number of alternative careers in design, art, computing, architecture, philosophy, teaching... If you are bright, you can do anything you want, and then just make the best of it in the circumstances you find yourself in.
Mercutio47
I'm hoping to get into engineering (preferably chemical) next fall for undergrad. Here's my question to all engineering students past and present: if you could go back in time, knowing what you know -- with the exception of the actual concepts, etc. -- what would you have done differently? Better time management? Stronger study habits? Or, perhaps, being less critical of oneself, lessening pressures, pursuing extra curriculars, etc.

Any advice is welcome, and thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Taken a gap year.

I would have picked a different major entirely.

If I had known how badly the engineering sector was going to decline in my country, I might have kept Electronics as an interesting hobby, and taken up something else as a career.

Right now there seems to be only limited opportunities for engineers in the old developed world, particularly in Europe. The situation is of course very different in some places, notably China. Unless you are planning to work in one of those regions, I would not really recommend a career in engineering.

Last edited:
brewnog said:
Taken a gap year.

That's really good advice, but not everyone can do it; some people shouldn't do it - because they'll never leave the gap.

Topher925 said:

Adjuster said:
...I would not really recommend a career in engineering.

You guys are depressing. I've been working for over 30 years, and I still like it, I still learn new things every day.

gmax137 said:
You guys are depressing. I've been working for over 30 years, and I still like it, I still learn new things every day.

There's a difference between being there and trying to get in there.

I am currently looking for an engineering position and in my country the prospects are slim. I honestly would have chosen a different path if I could go back.

I second what Adjuster said.

Slept more, or studied harder. Can't decide.

If you can do second order differential equations and laplace transforms you can do engineering. If you read up in advance on them and gain a clear understanding you will breeze through if you cannot then consider yoga instructor instead

Topher925 said:

Seconded.

I would probably have accepted my admission into a pure math program.

Electrical Engineering opportunities in Canada is great but I don't enjoy EE; it's just meh.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Seconded.

I would probably have accepted my admission into a pure math program.

Electrical Engineering opportunities in Canada is great but I don't enjoy EE; it's just meh.

It's like I'm looking at a mirror image!

To the OP, I would've picked physics or (maybe) mechanical engineering and maybe taken some interesting electives from electrical engineering like Electronics (about the only class in EE I've really enjoyed so far). I tend to have way more fun in my math and physics courses; hell last semester a lot of my time was spent with my Complex Analysis course and that was the most fun course of the semester even though it was by far more difficult than Electronics, Controls, and Logic. EE is just kind of bland and I have little to no interest in some of the subjects like logic and computer design/architecture, they're just boring.

clope023 said:
It's like I'm looking at a mirror image!

To the OP, I would've picked physics or (maybe) mechanical engineering and maybe taken some interesting electives from electrical engineering like Electronics (about the only class in EE I've really enjoyed so far). I tend to have way more fun in my math and physics courses; hell last semester a lot of my time was spent with my Complex Analysis course and that was the most fun course of the semester even though it was by far more difficult than Electronics, Controls, and Logic. EE is just kind of bland and I have little to no interest in some of the subjects like logic and computer design/architecture, they're just boring.

I hate electronics! :tongue2:

I would have taken more programing courses. I love assembly language.

I would also have taken controls and signals but that's about it.

XD I also had too much fun in Real Analysis last semester; I ended up doing not so great in my EE courses.

I've been an engineer all my life and loved it. However, I do believe I could have any of a number of alternative careers in design, art, computing, architecture, philosophy, teaching... If you are bright, you can do anything you want, and then just make the best of it in the circumstances you find yourself in. I don't think you can expect anyone in this forum to guide you into something not of your own choosing. Once you have thouight of a field in which you have an interest, try to get someone practising to give you half an hour of careers advice. If they are enthusiastic about what they do (Or, more cynically, justifying their own decision, mistake or not) they will probably end up giving you more than half an hour. If you are really serious, ask to work shadow someone for a day. You will learn that either it is something you would like to do, or the opposite.

1. What is the role of an engineer?

An engineer is a professional who uses their knowledge of math, science, and technology to design, develop, and maintain systems, structures, and processes. They are responsible for solving complex problems and improving existing systems in various fields, such as aerospace, civil, mechanical, electrical, and software engineering.

2. What skills are necessary to become an engineer?

To become an engineer, one needs to have a strong foundation in math and science, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and strong communication skills. Additionally, engineers need to be creative, innovative, and able to work well in teams.

3. What are the different types of engineering?

There are many different types of engineering, including aerospace, biomedical, chemical, civil, computer, electrical, environmental, industrial, mechanical, and software engineering. Each type focuses on a specific area of technology and has its own set of skills and expertise.

4. What is the process of becoming a licensed engineer?

To become a licensed engineer, one must first obtain a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited university. Then, they must gain four years of relevant work experience under the supervision of a licensed engineer. After that, they must pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam.

5. How do engineers contribute to society?

Engineers play a crucial role in society by designing and developing solutions to complex problems that improve our daily lives. They contribute to the advancement of technology, infrastructure, transportation, healthcare, and many other fields. Engineers also help to create a more sustainable and efficient world by finding ways to reduce energy consumption and protect the environment.