Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To find water or not to find water?

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    To find water or not to find water??

Some help guys anyone knows about methods to find water without using point detectors? all i seem to find is sensors that are put over a point were water is suspected to be at, im lookin for something more along the lines of radar like, from a distance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: To find water or not to find water??

Welcome to the PF. Do you mean underground water? How far underground? If underground, I don't think ground penetrating radar will get you very deep, but I certainly am no expert on it. Seems like you would need to use sound instead like the oil exploration folks use.

4. Oct 14, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4
    Re: To find water or not to find water??

Yeah I looked into GPR and it won't cut it because it's a point detector, I need something from a distance.
    I looked into Ultrasonic Rangefinders which use ultrasonic waves, they may be a bit costly so I'm trying to find cheaper ones on the market since its just a small project.
    Would like your opinion on them and thanks for answering to begin with! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook