Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To oxidate HF to F2 with chemicals only

1. Jun 23, 2017 #1
    Is it possible to oxidate HF to F2 putting HF in contact with oxidizing compounds only, that is, without using electrolytic cells or, however, electric energy in general?
    Thank you.
    --
    lightarrow

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2017 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Karl Christe famously did this in 1986:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ic00241a001

His synthesis involves abstraction of two F- anions from MnF62- using two equivalents of the "fluorophile" SbF5. The stroke of genius here is that Christe recognized that MnF4 is thermodynamically unstable and decomposes into the stable MnF3 and F2 gas.

4. Jun 24, 2017 #3
    Thanks.
    Which is the exact reaction involving the oxidation of HF?

--
    lightarrow

5. Jun 24, 2017 #4
    Reactions 3,4 and 5 from the article

6. Jun 24, 2017 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Note: in multi step processes sometimes its is impossible to pinpoint the moment when "something" happens, even when it is obvious from the overall reaction this "something" is what is done during the process.

7. Jun 25, 2017 #6
    Unfortunately I haven't access to that document. Would you please write them here?

--
    lightarrow

8. Jun 25, 2017 #7

DrDu

Science Advisor

You should at least see the first ppage of this article which contains all the formulas.

9. Jun 26, 2017 #8
    Yes, I can see it now, with the PC. With the smartphone I can't, don't know why.

--
    lightarrow

10. Jun 26, 2017 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted