To oxidate HF to F2 with chemicals only

• Thread starter lightarrow
  • Start date
Is it possible to oxidate HF to F2 putting HF in contact with oxidizing compounds only, that is, without using electrolytic cells or, however, electric energy in general?
Thank you.
--
lightarrow

Answers and Replies

TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Karl Christe famously did this in 1986:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ic00241a001

His synthesis involves abstraction of two F- anions from MnF62- using two equivalents of the "fluorophile" SbF5. The stroke of genius here is that Christe recognized that MnF4 is thermodynamically unstable and decomposes into the stable MnF3 and F2 gas.

Karl Christe famously did this in 1986:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ic00241a001

His synthesis involves abstraction of two F- anions from MnF62- using two equivalents of the "fluorophile" SbF5. The stroke of genius here is that Christe recognized that MnF4 is thermodynamically unstable and decomposes into the stable MnF3 and F2 gas.
Thanks.
Which is the exact reaction involving the oxidation of HF?

--
lightarrow

Which is the exact reaction involving the oxidation of HF?

Reactions 3,4 and 5 from the article

Borek
Mentor
Note: in multi step processes sometimes its is impossible to pinpoint the moment when "something" happens, even when it is obvious from the overall reaction this "something" is what is done during the process.

Reactions 3,4 and 5 from the article
Unfortunately I haven't access to that document. Would you please write them here?

--
lightarrow

DrDu
Science Advisor
You should at least see the first ppage of this article which contains all the formulas.

You should at least see the first ppage of this article which contains all the formulas.
Yes, I can see it now, with the PC. With the smartphone I can't, don't know why.

--
lightarrow