To prove that Cauchy sequence

In summary, the author thinks that the definition of convergence in this way is close to the definition, but he is not sure why we chose this particular $\varepsilon$.
ozkan12
View attachment 4866View attachment 4867View attachment 4868View attachment 4859View attachment 4860View attachment 4861View attachment 4862View attachment 4863View attachment 4864View attachment 4865View attachment 4869

My Questions:

1) İn both sides of inequality of (*) why we use "n", that is, why we do multiplication with "n" ?

2) in (**) by Letting $n\to\infty$ we obtain $\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} n\left[d\left({T}^{n}x,{T}^{n+1}x\right)\right]{}^{r}=0$ How this happened ?

3) Since, $\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} n\left[d\left({T}^{n}x,{T}^{n+1}x\right)\right]{}^{r}=0$ there exists ${n}_{1}\in\Bbb{N}$ such that $d\left({T}^{n}x, {T}^{n+1}x\right)\le\frac{1}{{n}^{\frac{1}{r}}}$... How we can write this ?
Also, why we use number $\frac{1}{{n}^{\frac{1}{r}}}$ ?

Please can you give an answer to my questions ? Thank you for your attention..

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 5.png
    5.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 6.png
    6.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 7.png
    7.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 8.png
    8.png
    48 KB · Views: 66
  • 9.png
    9.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 10.png
    10.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 1.png
    1.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 2.png
    2.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 3.png
    3.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 11.png
    11.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 65
Physics news on Phys.org
ozkan12 said:
My Questions:

1) İn both sides of inequality of (*) why we use "n", that is, why we do multiplication with "n" ?

2) in (**) by Letting $n\to\infty$ we obtain $\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} n\left[d\left({T}^{n}x,{T}^{n+1}x\right)\right]{}^{r}=0$ How this happened ?

I'm not at all sure I buy it, myself. It's not clear at all from, say, the $(\Theta_3)$ condition that $\theta^{k^n}$ goes to $1$ faster than $n\to\infty$, which is certainly what you'd need to conclude (**). I could buy, from the $(\Theta_3)$ condition, that
$$\lim_{n\to\infty}n^r \left(\theta^{n^k}-1\right)=\ell,$$
where $0<r<1$, but as we don't seem to have much control over the size of $\ell$, I'm not sure that helps us much.

Hang on: I think it might be a typo. I think you could conclude that IF:
$$\lim_{n\to\infty}[d(T^nx,T^{n+1}x)]^r=0,$$
THEN there exists an $n_1>0$ such that for all $n>n_1$, you have
$$d(T^nx,T^{n+1}x)\le \frac{1}{n^{1/r}}.$$
Isn't that pretty close to the definition of convergence? Our $\varepsilon$ is just written in this fancy way. I could be wrong, but I think this works.

3) Since, $\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} n\left[d\left({T}^{n}x,{T}^{n+1}x\right)\right]{}^{r}=0$ there exists ${n}_{1}\in\Bbb{N}$ such that $d\left({T}^{n}x, {T}^{n+1}x\right)\le\frac{1}{{n}^{\frac{1}{r}}}$... How we can write this ?
Also, why we use number $\frac{1}{{n}^{\frac{1}{r}}}$ ?

Please can you give an answer to my questions ? Thank you for your attention..

I think the author wants to be able to do the sums at the very end of the proof, and this form of $\varepsilon$ let's him do that.

Dear Ackbach

İn your post, I think these definitions close to definition of convergence but this carry very special conditions...But I didnt understand why we choose $\varepsilon$ in this way ? Because this is very special, I think that can we take $\varepsilon$ different from this ? This article is hard for me :)

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of real numbers in which the terms become arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses. This means that for any given distance, there is a point in the sequence where all subsequent terms will be within that distance from each other.

2. How do you prove that a sequence is Cauchy?

To prove that a sequence is Cauchy, one must show that for any given distance, there exists a point in the sequence where all subsequent terms are within that distance from each other. This can be done using the definition of a Cauchy sequence and the properties of real numbers, such as the triangle inequality.

3. What is the importance of proving that a sequence is Cauchy?

Proving that a sequence is Cauchy is important because it guarantees that the sequence is convergent, meaning that it will approach a single limit value as the terms continue to be added. This is a fundamental concept in analysis and is used in many areas of mathematics and science.

4. Can a sequence be both Cauchy and divergent?

No, a sequence cannot be both Cauchy and divergent. By definition, a Cauchy sequence must converge to a single limit value, while a divergent sequence does not converge and may approach different values or even infinity. Therefore, a sequence cannot exhibit both behaviors simultaneously.

5. How is the concept of a Cauchy sequence used in real-world applications?

The concept of a Cauchy sequence is used in many real-world applications, including computer science, physics, and engineering. It is used to model and analyze continuous processes, such as the behavior of electric circuits, and to approximate mathematical functions. It is also used in the development of algorithms and numerical methods for solving equations and systems of equations.