1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To Transfer or not to transfer (from suny)

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    Hi everybody. I'm a freshman Physics major at SUNY Stony Brook and I have a few qus about transferring out of here. Stony Brook is a good school, but it was my safety school (got into Boston College honors but not enough aid) and I'm going here for financial reasons. It's the best university in terms of physics I could afford, but i know I could be at a better university. Anyway, I want to transfer to a school that will be generous in terms of financial aid, so I was hoping I could get some advice on what schools I could get into that won't leave me w/ too much debt. I hope to get in for spring of 2011. I was originally going to try for fall of 2010, but i realized i could probably get better LOR from my later classes that arent intros.

Here's my courses

Freshman:
    Physics B (part of a three semester track. Got credit for other 2 in HS)
    Calculus III w/ apps
    News Literacy
    Writing 102
    Sch 101 (BS intro class for scholars students)

Modern Physics (sophomore level)
    Computation for Physics and Astro (277)
    Calculus IV (Mat 305)
    Math Logic Language and Proof (mat 200)
    Film History
    Sch 102 (slightly less bs intro class about US legal cases)

Sophomore
    Phy 301: Electromagnetic Theory
    Phy 303: Mechanics
    Mat 211: Intro to Linear Algebra
    Mat 341: Applied Real analysis
    Elective havent yet decided on

In terms of clubs, I'm currently active in Oxfam, College Democrats, Society of Physics Students, and Hillel.
    In HS i took a total of 11 AP exams and got 5s on all them. My overall GPA was a 3.85. It was weighed down by freshman and sophomore years. In my senior year when I took 5 APs my weighted GPA was a 4.222 (out of 4) and my unweighted was a 3.9 something

Currently I'm on track to get a 4.0 gpa and I'm determined (and hoping) to keep that up. I'm hoping to go to a top 10 grad school program in physics (and not for the prestige. I want to work as physicist in a lab or university setting). I'm worried that coming from Stony Brook might weigh me down or something.

Anyway, I'd be glad to hear any advice on where I have a chance that will be generous in terms of aid. On a side note, if anybody knows of any scholarships for physics/math majors, I'd be glad to learn about those too.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2009 #2
    *bump*

To summarize: I'm a smart student, went to safety (Stony), don't like it, and wondering where I can go with my current resume that will help a financially strapped student.

4. Dec 5, 2009 #3
    ok this is the last time I'm gonna try get attention to this thread. The truth is, I want to go to UPenn. I know i'd be winging it, but I want to wing it at least once.

Do I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting in? (keeping in mind I'd have to transfer for fall 2010, so the classes under sophomore can be ignored)

Edit: if no one knows what my chances are, is there any website you can recommend that I can receive some advice?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook