Kinetic energy transfer from shockwave to secondary body

In summary: Then that cannot be the answer.The method is to let the answer be of the form velocity=pressure adensitybdistancec. In MLT notation that becomes ##LT^{-1}=(ML^{-1}T^{-2})^a(ML^{-3})^bL^c##.Three equations, three unknowns.
KataruZ98
Homework Statement
I have an object A possessing a known mass of 10kg and density of 1,000kg/m^3 exposed to a shockwave in a way the latter impacts A over an area of one square meter at a right angle. The pressure of the shockwave at the point of contact is 10PSI.
Relevant Equations
Kinetic energy transferred by the shockwave to body A
I would guess that by multiplying the pressure exerted by the shockwave on the body, and then the resulting force - here ~69 Newtons - per the distance the shockwave passed through when traversing body A, I could get the work done but I’m not sure if it’s that easy and whether or not I should consider the shockwave accelerating when passing from a less dense to denser medium.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thinking of it per unit area (doubling the area should yield the same velocity gain) we have a pressure, a density, a distance and a velocity. What does dimensional analysis say?

Likes KataruZ98
Hm, I’m kinda lost honestly. Unfortunately I’m not well versed.

KataruZ98 said:
Hm, I’m kinda lost honestly. Unfortunately I’m not well versed.
Are you unfamiliar with dimensional analysis? Look it up.
It uses M for mass, L for length, T for time,…
Pressure is ML-1T-2
Density ML-3
Distance L
Velocity LT-1
How can you combine the first three, raising each to some power and multiplying the terms together, to make the last?

Likes ChiralSuperfields and KataruZ98
haruspex said:
Are you unfamiliar with dimensional analysis? Look it up.
It uses M for mass, L for length, T for time,…
Pressure is ML-1T-2
Density ML-3
Distance L
Velocity LT-1
How can you combine the first three, raising each to some power and multiplying the terms together, to make the last?
Well I would say I should divide density by the product of pressure and distance - though this leaves a T-2 as denominator.

Last edited by a moderator:
KataruZ98 said:
Well I would say I should divide density by the product of pressure and distance - though this leaves a T-2 as denominator.
Then that cannot be the answer.
The method is to let the answer be of the form velocity=pressure adensitybdistancec. In MLT notation that becomes ##LT^{-1}=(ML^{-1}T^{-2})^a(ML^{-3})^bL^c##.
Three equations, three unknowns.

Likes KataruZ98

What is kinetic energy transfer?

Kinetic energy transfer is the process by which energy is transferred from one object to another due to their relative motion.

How does a shockwave transfer kinetic energy to a secondary body?

A shockwave is a high-pressure wave that propagates through a medium, such as air or water. When the shockwave encounters a secondary body, it transfers its kinetic energy to the body through collisions between particles.

What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy transferred from a shockwave to a secondary body?

The amount of kinetic energy transferred depends on the strength and intensity of the shockwave, the size and composition of the secondary body, and the distance between the two objects.

Can kinetic energy transfer from a shockwave cause damage to the secondary body?

Yes, if the shockwave is strong enough and the secondary body is not able to absorb or dissipate the energy, it can cause damage to the body.

How is kinetic energy transfer from a shockwave to a secondary body used in real-world applications?

Kinetic energy transfer from shockwaves is used in various applications, such as in military weapons, industrial processes, and medical procedures. It can also be harnessed for energy production in the form of shockwave generators.