Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To what extent is wind due to quantum indeterminacy

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    I know that wind is the result of fluids being drawn from high pressure to low pressure among other classical forces. Wind though is highly chaotic and random. Each molecule of air is essentially unbound to other molecules. Is the movement of these molecules partly due to QI?

Actually, to make things more clear, I know that atoms move in a fashion called Brownian Motion. To what extent is BM due to QI? I would think that there really is no such thing as an atom. As far as we know they're quarks and quarks certainly obey the principles of QI.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can get chaotic wind and brownian motion (which are different things) with classic molecules ("billard balls").
    Quantum mechanics can influence the dynamics of particle collisions a bit, but just taking a different sort of molecules gives another modification as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook