Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Non-Newtonian fluids at the quantum level

1. Mar 20, 2016 #1

I am intrigued by the diversity of Non-Newtonian fluids and need to ask a question.

Can anyone provide me with a breakdown of what goes on at the quantum level as the Non-Newtonian fluid bounces up and down on top of the speaker in the video I have embedded.

What I would like to know is essentially what happens in terms of:
    • Molecules and atoms
    • Electrons orbiting the nuclei of the atoms
    • Protons and neutrons in the nuclei of the atoms
    • Quarks and other particles that make up the electrons
    • Even further down the quantum level would be nice (if possible!)
    Many thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The properties of a fluid are emergent properties. Anything more fundamental than molecule-molecule interactions will play no role in determining the newtonian or non-newtonian behavior of a fluid.

4. Mar 21, 2016 #3

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

A non-Newtonian fluid is composed of molecules whose shape seen from far away is significantly nonspherical. This causes the effective equations derived from a statistical mechanics treatment to be significantly different from the Navier-Stokes equations for Newtonian fluids. One needs additional degrees of freedom to model the deviation from sphericity. That's all.

Given the effective forces of the molecules, classical mechanics suffices to explain the deviations from Newtonian laws. Quantum mechanics, atoms and electrons are only relevant in as far as they determine the possible shapes of the molecules and the effective forces in reshaping them (i.e., their classical molecular force field). Stuff inside atoms works exactly the same as for all matter.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted