Today I learned

• #3,101
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Today I learned that if you start an email "Hi Jim. Please find attached..." and don't attach anything, Outlook will warn you that there are no attachments.

Likes Adesh
  • #3,102
Today I learned that at my advanced age with all the sum knowledge and experience that we'll probably never understand the nature of a woman. Some things are just not meant to be understood: )

Likes strangerep
  • #3,103
Humans are stealing it from the universe (for their cell phones and electric cars)
Some are stealing it for psychotic purpose too.

• #3,104
Today I learned that I have become a PF electron. No idea what that metaphor means but I'm no longer a quark, haha!

• #3,105
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
It's related to the points you get from trophies - I think estimated thresholds can be found on this thread (or at least in General Discussion) if you care to search.

• #3,106
It's related to the points you get from trophies - I think estimated thresholds can be found on this thread (or at least in General Discussion) if you care to search.
What does electron signifies?

• #3,107
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Just that the number of trophy points you have is above a certain value. You probably got an alert about a trophy, for replying or posting a certain number of times or whatever. Noting that you have 22 trophy points, I guess "electron" is 20+. As I say, someone reverse engineered it - search General Discussion for posts containing ocean and mountain.

Edit: it doesn't mean we think negatively of you... :wink:

• Haha
Likes Adesh and Klystron
  • #3,108
strangerep
Science Advisor
TIL... that some people now abbreviate Starbucks -> Sbux.

(Hence I also learned that laziness is a monotonically increasing function of time).

• Wow
  • Love
Likes Adesh and Klystron
  • #3,109
TIL... that some people now abbreviate Starbucks -> Sbux.

(Hence I also learned that laziness is a monotonically increasing function of time).
And IBM employees probably use SBX.

• #3,110
Today I learned that Freeman Dyson has died yesterday at the age of 96. Rest in peace!

• #3,111
berkeman
Mentor
Today I learned that it's Stupid Leap Day today! o0)

So I had made an appointment with the San Jose Household Hazardous Waste department for today to drop off some old motorcycle fluids and an old battery. I made the appointment online earlier this week, and thought I'd picked an 8AM Saturday dropoff appointment timeslot. I'd printed out the appointment and some other paperwork, and had it ready to go this morning.

But as I was putting the box of containers in the back of my vehicle to head down to the dropoff, I double-checked the appointment and saw 2/29/2020. But then I looked at my watch and saw 3/01, and I panicked. I started thinking, "How could I have been so stupid to make the appointment for Friday instead of Saturday? I wonder if they'll still let me do the dropoff today, or if I'll have to reschedule..."

So on the chance that they'd take pity on me and let me do the dropoff today instead of yesterday, I headed down the hill. When I got there right on time, I checked in with the guy at the gate, and was all apologetic saying that I think I messed up the appointment and it was for yesterday instead of today. He just asked for my name and checked me off the list for today (and I'm thinking WITW?), and waved me through to the dropoff spot.

I was happy that it went so smoothly (but still confused why I was on his printout list for today), and headed in to work (yes it's Saturday). Now several hours later I notice online that today is Leap Day, and realized that my watch had automatically gone from 2/28 to 3/01. Lordy! o0)

Likes collinsmark and Lnewqban
  • #3,112
We have watches here which automatically synchronize with the official atomic clock ...

Likes berkeman
  • #3,113
Today I re-learned from @berkeman that my watch does not understand leap days.

Likes Bystander and berkeman
  • #3,114
Today, I learned that 70% isopropanol is preferable to 99% for the purposes of disinfection.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
  • #3,115
TIL that apple juice made of apples which had possible grubs officially still count as vegan.

Not that I would care. It's more a case of schadenfreude.

• #3,116
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Just that the number of trophy points you have is above a certain value. You probably got an alert about a trophy, for replying or posting a certain number of times or whatever. Noting that you have 22 trophy points, I guess "electron" is 20+. As I say, someone reverse engineered it - search General Discussion for posts containing ocean and mountain.

Edit: it doesn't mean we think negatively of you... :wink:
Is there anything less than a PF quark?

I don't know if there is an astronomical term for a body that enters the solar system, maybe interacts slightly with one or two planets and then vanishes out beyond possibility of observation? (They might very slightly have altered some orbits and tides scarcely detectably, but overall there is only a small effect bringing forward the running down of the system.) :smile:

• #3,117
Today I learned that it’s important to check to make sure you click reply and not reply all to an email sent to dozens of people. Now I keep getting reply’s from people trying to reply to the first email and instead accidentally replying to mine.

• #3,118
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Is there anything less than a PF quark?
Here's the list that was reverse engineered. Presuming you can't get negative trophy points, I think the answer is no.

• #3,119
Universe is full of giant clouds containing significant percentage of ethanol.
Let's have a party!:biggrin:

Likes Adesh and BillTre
  • #3,120
Hsopitalist
Gold Member
Today I learned that tyro means beginner.

Likes Klystron
  • #3,121
Klystron
Gold Member
Today I learned the word abecedarian as a synonym for tyro.

Likes Hsopitalist
  • #3,123
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TIL that fans heckling the Sign Stealing Houston Astros at a preseason game with signs about the Astro's sign stealing had their heckling signs stolen (taken) by stadium personnel.

Likes Klystron
  • #3,124
Tom.G
Science Advisor
TIL that fans heckling the Sign Stealing Houston Astros at a preseason game with signs about the Astro's sign stealing had their heckling signs stolen (taken) by stadium personnel.
AARRGHH! No good deed goes unpunished!

• #3,125
Today I learned (realised) that Physics is different from Mathematics. Mathematics can help us in Physics but upto to a limited extent only.