Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #4,341
TIL, Friggatriskaidekaphobia is a real condition. however when I searched it and came up with this, I still felt like I was being trolled.
13.PNG

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,342
Likes fresh_42 and Ibix
  • #4,343

Even mild Covid is linked to brain damage, scans show​

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/07/even-mild-covid-is-linked-to-brain-damage-scans-show.html
During at least the first few months following a Coronavirus infection, even mild cases of Covid-19 are associated with subtle tissue damage and accelerated losses in brain regions tied to the sense of smell, as well as a small loss in the brain’s overall volume, a new British study finds. Having mild Covid is also associated with a cognitive function deficit.

These are the striking findings of the new study led by University of Oxford investigators, one that leading Covid researchers consider particularly important because it is the first study of the disease’s potential impact on the brain that is based on brain scans taken both before and after participants contracted the coronavirus.

:oops:

• Informative
Likes Klystron, strangerep, Tom.G and 1 other person
  • #4,344
TIL about a tree that becomes a fountain.

• Wow
Likes Maarten Havinga, strangerep, OmCheeto and 3 others
  • #4,345
TIL... something horrible. Apparently, in Australia, every 11 days on average, a woman is killed by someone she knows. :cry:

I knew domestic violence was an increasingly serious problem, but the mainstream media reports only very few of these murders. I guess it's now so common that it doesn't rate (for them) as news. :oldmad:

So now I'm wondering how this statistic compares to other countries...

• #4,346
Borg said:
TIL about a tree that becomes a fountain.

I don't believe that such a quantity of water comes through roots. I say the tree is hollow and acting as a pipe.

Likes DaveC426913
  • #4,347
strangerep said:
TIL... something horrible. Apparently, in Australia, every 11 days on average, a woman is killed by someone she knows. :cry:

I knew domestic violence was an increasingly serious problem, but the mainstream media reports only very few of these murders. I guess it's now so common that it doesn't rate (for them) as news. :oldmad:

So now I'm wondering how this statistic compares to other countries...
2/week is the stat I've heard for the UK. Given our population is about 70m to Australia's 26m it's a comparable per capita rate. It passes similarly largely unremarked. Another stat I've heard is that it accounts for around 25% of murders of women.

It's worth noting that you said "someone she knows", but you could say "a man she knows". I'll bet you at most one of your 30-odd per year partner killings was by a woman, and probably none.

• Sad
Likes strangerep
  • #4,348
I am not sure how robust the data is but everything I have read on this is you are most likely to be killed by your parents than a stranger regardless of sex if you are a child

https://theconversation.com/men-and...-numbers-and-we-need-to-understand-why-153527

More likely to be killed by an intimate partner if you are a woman

https://www.vpc.org/studies/wmmw2015.pdf

Physical abuse is 60% M 40%

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/sep/05/men-victims-domestic-violence#:~:text=These figures are equivalent to,abuse and 600,000 male victims".

These numbers are going to vary by country culture and decade. for @strangerep

• Sad
Likes strangerep
  • #4,349
Ibix said:
2/week is the stat I've heard for the UK. Given our population is about 70m to Australia's 26m it's a comparable per capita rate. It passes similarly largely unremarked. Another stat I've heard is that it accounts for around 25% of murders of women.

It's worth noting that you said "someone she knows", but you could say "a man she knows". I'll bet you at most one of your 30-odd per year partner killings was by a woman, and probably none.
Jean Struven Harris (April 27, 1923 – December 23, 2012) was the headmistress of The Madeira School for girls in McLean, Virginia, who made national news in the early 1980s when she was tried and convicted of the murder of her ex-lover, Herman Tarnower, a well-known cardiologist and author of the best-selling book The Complete Scarsdale Medical Diet.

• #4,350
TIL that there's a bug in MySQL that was reported in 2005 and is still not fixed. Some of the comments are hilarious:

[21 Jun 2015 8:38] Jarosław Strzelecki
Happy anniversary!
It's 10 years already...

[24 Jun 2015 21:42] v f
This defect is going to be attending middle school in the fall. She's a little nervous and angry at us because most of her friends are going to Valley MS instead of Lakeview.

[...]

[30 Jan 2018 14:22] Maciej Partyka

2018 still going strong!

[21 Jun 2018 18:02] Ash Meu

Happy 13th birthday, 11472! They grow up so fast :')

[22 Jun 2018 4:23] Jishnu Viswanath

Can we apply for the world record for the longest standing bug on opensource projects?

[...]

[21 Jun 2019 14:56] Henry Ayala

Soon this bug is going to be old enough to take driving lessons.

[...][11 Nov 2019 9:12] Fabio Napodano

would be nice to know how is life of the bug report opener. Is he still alive? Is he actually still using MySQL?

[12 Nov 2019 14:29] Omer Barnir

Thanks for asking.
I'm alive and well, and using MySQL.

[11 Jun 2020 21:36] Jacob Bingham

This bug is older than me

[...]

[15 Jul 2020 8:41] Aamir Dakhani

I was in kindergarten when this bug was reported. Now I'm in 2nd year of my bachelor's degree in computer science.

[...]

[15 Jul 2020 12:28] Jay Godara

Guys my girlfriend says that she will marry me once this bug is resolved. Do we have any update on this?

P.S: We've been waiting since 2017 and she's now consider to Gary.

P.S 2: Gary you're a prick!

[...]

[18 Jan 2021 0:49] Alex D

Was just checking to see if our favourite bug made it through the Covid-19 pandemic. Glad to see it's doing well.

[8 Jan 20:34] Ayaka K.

Hello from 2022, this was reported when I was 3 and still here xD.

• Haha
Likes mfb, Klystron, Borg and 2 others
  • #4,351
TIL that there are at least eight levels of minor league baseball.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too
  • #4,354
TIL the trebuchet was invented in China circa the 4th century B.C. .

• #4,355
During the last several days I have been learning the Lebesgue integration theory for functions with values in a Banach space by S.Lang's "Real Analysis". The narration is pretty nice and clear.
Since the construction is very general it does not rely on accidental things like an order in the space of values. This straightens the structure.

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby
  • #4,356
wrobel said:
During the last several days I have been learning the Lebesgue integration theory for functions with values in a Banach space by S.Lang's "Real Analysis". The narration is pretty nice and clear.
Since the construction is very general it does not rely on accidental things like an order in the space of values. This straightens the structure.
Is your picture Von Neumann?

• #4,357
pinball1970 said:
Is your picture Von Neumann?
C. S. Lewis

• Love
Likes Oldman too, Maarten Havinga and pinball1970
  • #4,358
  • Informative
Likes DaveC426913 and pinball1970
  • #4,359
Oldman too said:
I will read all those links. No passwords? That seems crazy!

Likes Oldman too
  • #4,360
pinball1970 said:
They authenticate using your phone. We do this at the hospital.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too and pinball1970
  • #4,361
DaveC426913 said:
Not keen though Dave.

Last edited:
  • #4,362
DaveC426913 said:
Same with most banks.

• #4,363
pinball1970 said:
Sounds risky on first look, the links explain it pretty well though. The hackers are already at a work around for this unless I miss my guess. Still it is an improvement over the current system, we'll see soon enough.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
  • #4,364
pinball1970 said:
Not keen though Dave.
? You mean you don't like it?

I have hundreds of passwords. If I haven't been back to somewhere in over six months I have to reset it.

Oldman too said:
Same with most banks.
Not mine yet.

I confess, I did not like it at first - having to have a second device handy. But now I always have my phone, so it's not such a hardship.

Likes pinball1970
  • #4,365
TIL there are ##\LaTeX## coffee stains!
1651804041136.png

1651804014568.png

• Haha
Likes Oldman too, pinball1970, jack action and 1 other person
  • #4,366
DaveC426913 said:
Not mine yet.
Sorry, I should have specified, that only applies to bank employees. My granddaughter works in a bank and it's their default authentication for all employees. Seems to work great for them. There seems to be a fallback recovery method should you lose your phone.

DaveC426913 said:
I confess, I did not like it at first - having to have a second device handy. But now I always have my phone, so it's not such a hardship.
I'm not even using it yet personally but I'm rarely without the phone handy, I'll be glad to get rid of password authentication.

Likes pinball1970 and DaveC426913
  • #4,367
wrobel said:
C. S. Lewis
1651836019646.png

Definitely some likeness

• #4,368
TIL

CS Lewis was actually Irish and had a hatred of the English for a while after coming to England.
He was an atheist and interested in mysticism before converting to Christianity.

John Von Neuman was a very impressive individual! Too much to mention but one thing I noticed reading his wiki page was he had a guard over him while he was dying at a military medical centre.

He was medicated and military was worried about him talking about US secrets as he passed.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too
  • #4,369
Supposedly, the only question Hilbert asked Von Neumann at his Ph.D. defense was

"In all my years I have never seen such beautiful evening clothes: pray, who is the candidate's tailor”​

Likes pinball1970
  • #4,370
pinball1970 said:
John Von Neuman was a very impressive individual! Too much to mention but one thing I noticed reading his wiki page was he had a guard over him while he was dying at a military medical centre.

He was medicated and military was worried about him talking about US secrets as he passed.
I can not explain that but I feel something not good to pass in such a way.

• Sad
Likes pinball1970
  • #4,371
His was an ugly death. Some sort of cancer and he knew that his mind was not functioning well.

• Sad
  • Informative
  • #4,372
pinball1970 said:
CS Lewis was an atheist and interested in mysticism before converting to Christianity.

My favorite book is his last, Til We Have Faces. It's pagan, and about the the meaning of life.

• Informative
  • #4,373
caz said:
His was an ugly death. Some sort of cancer and he knew that his mind was not functioning well.
He would have been on morphine I would guess. Anyway the list of contributions he made was something else.
Focus on the positives.

Likes Klystron
  • #4,374
Hornbein said:
My favorite book is his last, Til We Have Faces. It's pagan, and about the the meaning of life.
Not read that only the Narnia books.

• #4,375
Now I have to go find my copies of Perelandra and ... I read in high school and I remember them as almost terrifying, but I'm not sure now why.