Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #5,006
gmax137 said:
I found a place nearby that claims to have it. How is it normally used? On toast? Any advice appreciated!
I love it on toast. Trying for the first time spread very thin and put butter on first. The butter counters the bitter flavour of the marmite. It's a balance!
Aussies have Vegemite which from memory is similar.
Marmite also goes with peanut butter, in my opinion
If you hate it, then it will not sit with anything.

• Informative
Likes gmax137 and Ibix
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,007
Ibix said:
Any supermarket will have it, so I suppose so.

I don't think I've even seen that here. I've certainly never tried it. Maybe one day...
It has a lot of B vitamins too.

Likes Astronuc, gmax137 and Ibix
  • #5,008
pinball1970 said:
Aussies have Vegemite which from memory is similar.
Yeah, we're all happy little vegemites...

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #5,009
I know a lot about American cars of the sixties but this was news to me:

Chevrolet 1969, option V75: Liquid Tire Chain Traction Dispenser

liquid-tire-chain.jpg

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes russ_watters and Borg
  • #5,010
jack action said:

Chevrolet 1969, option V75: Liquid Tire Chain Traction Dispenser
The driver could activate a control on the instrument panel, which would turn on two aerosol canisters, each mounted over the rear tires.
So you could accelerate, and maybe decelerate, but you couldn't turn. Hmm.

(Actually I guess you could use the common dirtbike trick of steering with the back end and throttle in deep mud and sand... I never tried it on ice) :wink:

• #5,011
berkeman said:
So you could accelerate, and maybe decelerate, but you couldn't turn. Hmm.
Yes, yes, exactly: an American car. :wink::biggrin:

• Haha
Likes russ_watters and DaveE
  • #5,012
jack action said:
There was a predecessor for that, actually
:wink:

And it's still in regular use :woot:

• #5,013
berkeman said:
(Actually I guess you could use the common dirtbike trick of steering with the back end and throttle in deep mud and sand... I never tried it on ice)
Uhmm... DON'T, there is too much positive feedback. :cry:
(or maybe it is just an exponential function, anyhow, uncontrollable)

Last edited:
  • #5,014
Tom.G said:
Uhmm... DON'T, there is too much positive feedback. :cry:
(or maybe it is just an exponential function, anyhow, uncontrollable)
I have heard ice steering can be done with a motorcycle if sidecar equipped.

• #5,017
TIL that the effects of neutrinos from one second after the big bang have been detected with high confidence.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
  • #5,019
Once again an example that shows - take that with a grain of salt - this unpleasant, and huge gap between popular science (completely useless) and the scientific paper (completely ununderstandable).

One takes a couple of pints not to go nuts about that non-information, and the other takes a study of physics. When will someone start to summarize such a paper for educated people?

• #5,020
fresh_42 said:
When will someone start to summarize such a paper for educated people?
I used to read Science News, a slim biweekly magazine. I thought it was pretty good, but I let it lapse and have not read it in years. Maybe I will look into that.

The main problem (IMO) with summarizing papers for educated people (particularly physics papers) is that most educated people cannot read the mathematics. It is just hieroglyphs to them, likely to provoke "oh how I hated math in school." Even if the pinnacle of their studies was factoring quadratic equations.

• #5,021
I've settled on Science magazine, by American Association for Advancement of Science (AAAS).

I took Nature for a while, but it leaned too heavily on the life sciences for me. Science covers a wider variety of fields, (weekly, about $3.17 per issue with yearly subscription).

Cheers,
Tom

Likes BillTre
  • #5,022
TIL that "The Wiz" referred to the laws of thermodynamics.

• #5,024
Hornbein said:
They want $39 to "rent" that article. Does anyone actually do that?
My MO is read the abstract and see if I understand any of it. Then check here

• #5,025
$39 is pretty outrageous to me, especially if it was produced from government funded research.

I would look into other ways to get the article.
Sometimes I can get articles from either Research Gate or Academia.
Sometimes I can get them from the author's website (usually a university website).
Sometimes that can be found on a preprint site.
Sometimes I can find articles or preprints through a google search.

• #5,026
pinball1970 said:
Einstein came up with some rules for his marriage. I remember laughing in disbelief reading them, even 100 years ago this must have been pretty outrageous.

"A. You will make sure:

1. that my clothes and laundry are kept in good order;
2. that I will receive my three meals regularly in my room;
3. that my bedroom and study are kept neat, and especially that my desk is left for my use only.

B. You will renounce all personal relations with me insofar as they are not completely necessary for social reasons. Specifically, You will forego:

1. my sitting at home with you;
2. my going out or travelling with you.

C. You will obey the following points in your relations with me:

1. you will not expect any intimacy from me, nor will you reproach me in any way;
2. you will stop talking to me if I request it;
3. you will leave my bedroom or study immediately without protest if I request it.
D. You will undertake not to belittle me in front of our children, either through words or behavior."
TIL I learned that this was written to his first wife. Either she met these conditions or he would divorce. In this video you may see this letter in his own handwriting.

Likes pinball1970
  • #5,027
The marriage didn't last long after this. She split with the kids. No woman could tolerate that.

• #5,028
Today I learned that,
The integral of X X
is the planck area of the cartesian diagram.

• #5,029
TIL that "orphaned" oil wells are a thing. A very bad thing.

Likes BillTre, collinsmark, Tom.G and 1 other person
  • #5,030
TIL that the Olympus camera company harbored a decades-long conspiracy to hide a billion dollars worth of speculation losses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCfL-EqkTnY. The execs were convicted but served no time.

• Wow
Likes BillTre
  • #5,031
Hornbein said:
TIL that the Olympus camera company harbored a decades-long conspiracy to hide a billion dollars worth of speculation losses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCfL-EqkTnY. The execs were convicted but served no time.

Fun fact: The company was first named Takachiho Seisakusho. Takachiho is a mountain that Japanese gods live on, according to Japanese mythology. They introduced the brand Olympus (after the mythical Greek mountain & home to the Greek gods) in 1921. During the war years they went back to the name Takachiho, returning to roost on Olympus in 1949.
[-- Wikipedia]

• Informative
Likes berkeman and BillTre
  • #5,032
TIL that David Letterman has a big gap between his front teeth. He must use a prosthesis to cover it up.

(Lauren Hutton, same. But I already knew that.)

• #5,033
That gap's always been there, that I remember.

• #5,034
Hornbein said:
TIL that David Letterman has a big gap between his front teeth. He must use a prosthesis to cover it up.

That's his signature thing. I don't think he covers it up. Although he has had a full beard for the last several years, so I guess there's that.

Likes diogenesNY
  • #5,035
collinsmark said:
That's his signature thing. I don't think he covers it up. Although he has had a full beard for the last several years, so I guess there's that.
Aha. All the photos I got from Google showed no gap.

• #5,036
Hornbein said:
Aha. All the photos I got from Google showed no gap.

Hmm. You're right. I don't see the gap in recent pictures. Maybe he had some dental work done? Dentures?

Well, it used to be his signature thing, anyway.

• #5,037
TIL that Bacopa (just to be clear: Chaenostoma cordatum) is actually a perennial plant.

It's sold here as a one-season pot-plant only, so we too just got rid of the old ones at the end of Autumn, as everybody else.

That is, till one of them just kept on blooming: it was just too nice to be thrown away, and we had a slot under the lamp anyway (we keep some plants inside, with growth-lights during winter), so why not?

.. . and then it kept on blooming all winter. It was a bit suspicious, so I've checked if it's a mutant (should I expect it start to hunt flies/neighbours? o0)) or we've just missed something?

... and so we need to expand the lamp area for next winter :cool:

Last edited:
  • #5,038
I think all plants are perennial, and it is only climate that kills nonnatives each season.

• Informative
Likes OmCheeto
  • #5,039
DaveC426913 said:
I think all plants are perennial, and it is only climate that kills nonnatives each season.
Some plants just bloom fruit and die.
Certain peas are like this. Maybe some tomato strains also.

• Informative
Likes OmCheeto
  • #5,040
Today i learned that forces acting on the bones produce piezoelectric effects, which then play some important physiological roles.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8615512/

It has been demonstrated that bone and blood vases are piezoelectric, namely, electric signals are locally produced upon mechanical stimulation of these tissues. The specific effects of electric charge generation on different cells are not fully understood, but a substantial amount of evidence has suggested their functional and physiological roles.

• Informative
Likes weirdoguy, pinball1970 and BillTre