Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #5,181
KingGambit said:
If I have to interprete his quotes.
A good discussion of what the quote might actually mean is in this article:

https://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2014/05/23/oppenheimer-gita/

The article is from Alex Wellerstein's blog Nuclear Secrecy, which is worth reading for much more than just this article.

Likes KingGambit
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,182
  • #5,183

• Wow
Likes Astronuc, pinball1970, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #5,184
KingGambit said:
Germany had launched blitzkrieg, Benelux fell in three weeks. And in June 1st 1940, German soldiers marched in Paris. V2 had been raining on London and other cities, still the US Gorvernment only gave UK lend lease.
Yep. The public didn't want to help The United Kingdom. It was all that Roosevelt could do just to get Lend Lease passed. We were very 'isolationist' at the time.

• #5,185
Last edited:
Likes Tom.G, OmCheeto, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #5,186
PeterDonis said:
It didn't. By early 1940 the US government already had researchers working on nuclear fission. What took until January 1942 was doing enough research to show that an atomic bomb was a real possibility--enough of one to justify a full-on effort to design, produce, test, and deploy bombs.
Indeed yes.

I think it's actually in the letter that a snip is posted here that the "lore" at the time was that a uranium-based bomb was possible but might require something that could only be delivered by an ocean ship. They were thinking it might require something like a reactor, and so many many tons of material. So at the time of the letter, folks were thinking that it would be a pretty drastic increase in destructive capability, but they didn't quite have a handle on how drastic. They were thinking in terms of bringing a barge into a harbor and wiping out the harbor. Nobody was thinking airplane delivery.

But there was a lot of research going on. And presently the lore changed to something a little more accurate. An airplane delivered device seemed possible.

Plus, various hints were coming out the NAZIs and Japan had their programs. This worried a lot of people. It turned out that the NAZIs were not as far along as was feared. And Japan was even farther behind. Turns out that getting your city bombed frequently makes it tough to construct precision scientific equipment. But it was not possible to be sure of that.

• #5,188
TIL elections in the USSR had only one candidate. However victory was not certain. They had to get at least fifty percent of the vote. It was possible to vote against the candidate by writing an angry message on the otherwise blank ballot. Evidently this was a real possibility.

Murray Gell-Mann got involved in advising about anti-ballistic missiles. He found them destabilizing. At a conference an official of the USSR, Millionshchikov, sought him out. This man told Murray that the people of Moscow wanted the ABM, destabilizing or not. He said, if we do not put up this system then we would not get a single vote in the next election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzFw2d2YHCU

• #5,189

Reminds me of a ciliate:

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 1.09.04 PM.png

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu, pinball1970, Tom.G and 1 other person
  • #5,191
NASA had a panel on UAPs (formerly UFOs).

Basically, they want better data:
“We have not seen the extraordinary yet.” Most incidents end up being more mundane. Panel member Scott Kelly, a former NASA astronaut and naval aviator, recounted flying in an F-14 off the coast of Virginia, when his co-pilot swore that he saw a UAP. “We turned around,” he said. “We went to go look at it. It turns out it was Bart Simpson, a balloon.”
An ISO (Identified Simpson Object).

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, russ_watters, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #5,192

• Wow
Likes pinball1970, collinsmark and Drakkith
  • #5,193
BillTre said:

The last part of the video kind of reminds me of this spoof:

(The following is not real: it's a creative video made with CGI meant as satire/comedy)

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Borg, OmCheeto and 1 other person
  • #5,194
TIL Fats Waller died aged 39 of pneumonia.

• Sad
Likes BillTre
  • #5,195
  • Haha
Likes jack action and BillTre
  • #5,196
  • #5,197
BillTre said:
An ISO (Identified Simpson Object).
Worse, Gene Simmons at 34,000 ft:

• Wow
Likes pinball1970, collinsmark, Borg and 1 other person
  • #5,198
According to Wikipedia, Paul McCartney wished to make a film about a rock band whose members discover they are being impersonated by a group of extraterrestrials. He had Isaac Asimov write a proposal but that's as far as the project went.

• Wow
Likes BillTre, Ibix and pinball1970
  • #5,199
Hornbein said:
According to Wikipedia, Paul McCartney wished to make a film about a rock band whose members discover they are being impersonated by a group of extraterrestrials.
I have my suspicions about this woman.

Likes strangerep
  • #5,200
TIL of the Subtropical Russian Party. Their slogan was, “Let there be bananas in the Banana Republic.” And their entire platform was that they wanted the mean temperature of Russia to be 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

Tropical Russia.jpg

With that much global warming, Russia, Antarctica, and Denmark/Greenland would have the most of the livable real estate.

Likes BillTre
  • #5,201
DrGreg said:
Today I learned that the PracticalCryptography website does not support HTTPS.
Curious, http://www.russinovich.com is the same. Author of several cyber security novels.

"Someone might be able to see the information you send or get through this site."

scary ? nah

Last edited:
Likes Hornbein
  • #5,203
  • #5,204
TIL The drones are tuned in a bag pipe, I thought the piper blew up the bag and off he went.

Far from it.

The drones are Bb and octave apart (on the ones I have checked) and the tune is played on the chanter with his fingers

In the wiki link below there is a recording of the “Skye boat song.”

The top note at the end each phrase sounds flat which I thought odd if they want to showcase an instrument on wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagpipes

I may contact bag pipe news see what their view is
https://bagpipe.news/

The inspiration for this informative thread was this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/excellence-on-obscure-instruments.1053063/

#31 – Bag pipes at a wedding from @DennisN

Last edited:
Likes Ibix and DennisN
  • #5,205

Likes pinball1970 and Tom.G
  • #5,206

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, pinball1970, Tom.G and 2 others
  • #5,207
pinball1970 said:
TIL The drones are tuned in a bag pipe, I thought the piper blew up the bag and off he went.

Far from it.

The drones are Bb and octave apart (on the ones I have checked) and the tune is played on the chanter with his fingers

In the wiki link below there is a recording of the “Skye boat song.”

The top note at the end each phrase sounds flat which I thought odd if they want to showcase an instrument on wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagpipes

I may contact bag pipe news see what their view is
https://bagpipe.news/

The inspiration for this informative thread was this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/excellence-on-obscure-instruments.1053063/

#31 – Bag pipes at a wedding from @DennisN
I bet that flatness is deliberate.

I live in Bali. The gamelan notes are close to a pentatonic scale but deliberately "sour" to give it a certain character.

Country blues was tuned by ear and usually didn't match orthodox pitch correctness. It gives the sound personality.

In Thailand karaoke is popular. Often I'd be far enough away I could hear only the singer, not the background. It sounded grossly out of tune to me so I'd be sure to pack ear plugs. If you can hear the chords though it usually made sense. Asian singing often uses "out of tune" notes that in the West only little children sing.

Likes pinball1970
  • #5,208

• Wow
Likes Astronuc, phinds and pinball1970
  • #5,209
TIL... about the Lesbian Rule and its relationship to Dark Matter. (Not what you're thinking!)

Aristotle (via Wikipedia) said:
For what is itself indefinite can only be measured by an indefinite standard, like the leaden rule used by Lesbian builders; just as that rule is not rigid but can be bent to the shape of the stone, so a special ordinance is made to fit the circumstances of the case.
Yep, definitely like Dark Matter.

The puzzling name similarity between the Lesbian Rule (pliable lead) and female-gay seems to be coincidence -- associated with writings of the poet Sappho of Lesbos.

• #5,210
TIL that papyrus is now nearly extinct in Egypt:

Likes Drakkith
  • #5,211
Swamp Thing said:
TIL that papyrus is now nearly extinct in Egypt:

I got some growing at my house.
Its an interesting plant (with a lot of history).

Likes pinball1970 and Swamp Thing
  • #5,212
Likes BillTre
  • #5,213
Today I learned that The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is called Il Buono, Il Brutto, Il Cattivo in Italian, which means The Good, the Ugly, the Bad. And Spanish has a "two countries divided by a common language" thing going on with it being released in Spain as El bueno, el feo, y el malo (same as in Italian) and in South America as El bueno, el malo, y el feo, (same as in English).

Spanish Wikipedia: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_buono,_il_brutto,_il_cattivo. Note the bold text at the top of the first paragraph.

Edit: also, today I learned that if you use the paste key on this phone instead of the popup context menu, it has a nasty habit of replacing a word with what you paste instead of inserting it.

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith
  • #5,214
This looks fun:

Likes collinsmark, OmCheeto, pinball1970 and 3 others
  • #5,215
BillTre said:
This looks fun:

It is fun. 😁 I know I took a photo or two, but I can't find them right now.

Likes Astronuc and BillTre