Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #5,251
Ibix said:
It's the word for God in Hebrew, and their names are all phrases that refer to God somehow.

Edit: or at least, the christian canonical angels' names are so. Whether a TV series stuck to that or just decided that anything ending in -el sounded angel-y is, of course, another question.
Yes, just like IsraEL
El, here means God (Elohim?) I don't know. I'm not a Jews myself.
And I read somewhere that Isra-el, means
Fight with God (Elohim)
or
Struggle with God.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,252
TIL that in the most distant galaxies time appears to pass at 20% of the actual rate.

Likes Math100
  • #5,253
Hornbein said:
TIL that in the most distant galaxies time appears to pass at 20% of the actual rate.
The "actual rate"? What is that? ;)

• #5,257
Ivan Seeking said:
And all over the country people are objecting: I've seen it hotter here before!!!!
I used to be amazed that few understand the concept of an average. Then I came to expect this.

Last edited:
  • #5,258
Mike Judge, the creator of the animated cartoon, "Beavis And Butthead", earned a bachelor's degree in Physics before turning to entertainments. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Judge

(small grammatical edit)

Last edited:
  • #5,259
symbolipoint said:
The Mike Judge, the creator of the animated cartoon, "Beavis And Butthead", earned a bachelor's degree in Physics before turning to entertainments. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Judge
Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine holds a BA in social studies from Harvard University. He publishes a regular newsletter in the New York Times. His father participated in the Mau Mau uprising. He worked as a stripper and also in the office of United States Senator Alan Cranston. Now that's versatility.

• Wow
Likes BillTre and pinball1970
  • #5,260
KingGambit said:
And I read somewhere that Isra-el, means
Fight with God (Elohim)
or
Struggle with God.
I don't understand this. Why would they fight/struggle with God? Isn't he supposed to be on their side? And (in the other possible interpretation) why would an omnipotent God "fight" or "struggle" at all?? :oldconfused:

Maybe I should have posted this in the "Things That Make No Sense" thread. :olduhh:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Tom.G and KingGambit
  • #5,261
strangerep said:
I don't understand this. Why would they fight/struggle with God? Isn't he supposed to be on their side? And (in the other possible interpretation) why would an omnipotent God "fight" or "struggle" at all?? :oldconfused:

Maybe I should have posted this in the "Things That Make No Sense" thread. :olduhh:
The OT is one big struggle! Anything more than that will land me in PF prison.

• #5,262
TIL that blockbuster has its roots in war and munitions, not money, investment and marketing. "Blockbuster" is a weapon/ that can take out an entire block in an explosion.
I thought, queueing round the block to get in the cinema may have had some influence on the etymology but no.
According to wiki at least.

• #5,263
pinball1970 said:
TIL that blockbuster has its roots in war and munitions, not money, investment and marketing. "Blockbuster" is a weapon/ that can take out an entire block in an explosion.
I thought, queueing round the block to get in the cinema may have had some influence on the etymology but no.
According to wiki at least.
I read about that in my in histories of the blitz. Called a hit movie a blockbuster was around then too.

The bikini swimsuit was named after the Bikini atoll nuclear bomb test site.

• #5,264
Hornbein said:
I read about that in my in histories of the blitz. Called a hit movie a blockbuster was around then too.

The bikini swimsuit was named after the Bikini atoll nuclear bomb test site.
Yes that's dark. Balaclava too?

• #5,265
TIL that there are about 70,000 homeless persons in Los Angeles alone.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
  • #5,267
Ivan Seeking said:
Some people ask why we don't just put them all in jail:
The proper answer to this is not the rated capacity of the prison system.

The proper answer is to compare the monthly rents in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, which have a median of $2,258 ($27,096 / year), and the cost of an inmate in California, which is $106,131 / year.

Making cheap housing available seems to be way cheaper and more humane. And if they need mental health support, the $79,000 difference would be better spent on psychiatry treatment than prison security.

• Haha
Likes Math100, BillTre, symbolipoint and 2 others
  • #5,268
jack action said:

The proper answer is to compare the monthly rents in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, which have a median of $2,258 ($27,096 / year), and the cost of an inmate in California, which is $106,131 / year.

Making cheap housing available seems to be way cheaper and more humane. And if they need mental health support, the $79,000 difference would be better spent on psychiatry treatment than prison security.
While true, "we don't have enough cells" doesn't require an appeal to their conscience, empathy, or sense of decency.

Drug addiction and mental health issues are big drivers and are often used as justification to just arrest them all. But the math makes it easy to see that isn't even possible.

• #5,269
jack action said:

I have no idea if any of that is correct, but I still like the post.

Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
  • #5,270
symbolipoint said:
I have no idea if any of that is correct, but I still like the post.
This is basically what they do in Finland. They provide the housing. It ended up being cheaper than dealing with the issues caused by a large homeless population. It also turned out that a majority of people provided with stable living conditions ended up eventually supporting themselves. A large homeless population is not the "problem", it is a symptom of a larger societal problem.

• Informative
Likes OmCheeto, symbolipoint, jack action and 2 others
  • #5,271
2023-07-09_08-27-08.png

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes Math100, Janus, Swamp Thing and 1 other person
  • #5,272
TIL that when Marconi Co. neded some large RF plugin inductors made for a shortwave transmitter, they turned to a maker of brass musical instruments... [44:05]

Likes BillTre
  • #5,273

Do you guys think of 2% in the same way?

I believe this is 2% of your "original" money and assuming you never add a single dollar more to savings/investments.

• #5,274
kyphysics said:

Not saying I disagree with the idea, but anything you work for will lose value in time even if you don't use it: Food will perish, anything you build will rot (wood) or oxidize (metal), etc.

So the concept of working and enjoying the fruit of your labor only 40 years later is kind of a weird concept.

• Informative
Likes BillTre, Ivan Seeking and kyphysics
  • #5,275
jack action said:
Not saying I disagree with the idea, but anything you work for will lose value in time even if you don't use it: Food will perish, anything you build will rot (wood) or oxidize (metal), etc.

So the concept of working and enjoying the fruit of your labor only 40 years later is kind of a weird concept.
Apparently he keeps his money under his bed instead of gaining interest in a bank or growing in value in an index fund.

Apparently not the sharpest tool in the shed. :oldeyes:

• #5,276
kyphysics said:

I believe this is 2% of your "original" money and assuming you never add a single dollar more to savings/investments.

The issue here is that the central banks have a difficult time with precise monetary control. Deflation is really bad for economies, and is hard to stop. So they want a buffer somewhere above zero. In the US the target used to be around 4%, but 2% is a better expectation now.

Plus economies work better when money is invested so others can use it by borrowing. Keeping it under your mattress is both stupid and not good for your neighbors.

• #5,278

Likes Tom.G
  • #5,279
That Donkey & Tiger video made using "AI"; was using artificial intelligence to make the video really necessary? Interesting story anyway.

• #5,280
TIL that Willie Nelson and the President's son smoked a joint on the roof of the White House back when Carter was President. Carter confirmed it.
https://consequence.net/2020/09/jimmy-carter-willie-nelson-weed-white-house/

Too funny!!! Long story but when I was much younger, my uncle had virtually unlimited access to the busses of many celebrities for weeks or months at a time. On one occasion my family took Willie's bus for a um....1000 mile test drive for a week. Sure enough, we found a weed tray under one of the bed mattresses. :oldeyes:

Likes Hornbein and BillTre
  • #5,282
symbolipoint said:
That Donkey & Tiger video made using "AI"; was using artificial intelligence to make the video really necessary?
No, but is anything in the arts really necessary?

What impresses me is how quickly I got sick of AI art once the novelty wore off. There's something ugly about it. But it is still in its infancy. In ten years, who knows?

I will further say that if I want art that is ugly, grotesque, and surreal -- and sometimes I do -- then AI art is unbeatable. Instant and it's free.

• #5,283
Hornbein said:
and [AI art is] free.
I highly doubt that.

• #5,284
TIL what a Nottingham algebra is and that
$$
\mathfrak{not}_n\cong \mathfrak{not}_\infty /\mathfrak{not}^n
$$
Good, that I'm a Forest fan.

• Informative
Likes Math100 and dextercioby
  • #5,285
Hornbein said:
and [AI art is] free.

jack action said:
I highly doubt that.

Well, @Hornbein might have a point here.

It goes without saying that AI is in its infancy, and that's certainly true in legal realms.

But there have been some early signs (and again, everything involving AI is "early" at this point in time) that AI generated works will not be afforded the same copyright protections as other works.

Here is an article as an example: US Copyright Office: AI Generated Works Are Not Eligible for Copyright.

So what does this mean? If an image is generated by AI (not just "AI sharpened," but wholly created such as diffusion based methods discussed in several PF threads), and you get ahold of such an image, you might be able do what you will with it and nobody's really going to stop you. At least in the US.

On the other hand, if your computer wholly generates an AI image, and some marketing department you've never heard of gets their hands on it and decides, without asking, to plaster that image on their cereal boxes, there's not much that you can do about it either.

Here's an article that's a little more recent: New US copyright rules protect only AI art with ‘human authorship’

So maybe it's kinda free? I speculate that rules and rights will become much less ambiguous in the coming years.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes symbolipoint