Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #5,356
TIL learned NASA found Voyager 2 again. TODIL (the other day I learned) That they had lost it but I thought I'd wait till they found it again before posting.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,357
BillTre said:
The Great Carrier Reef; probably mostly dead now due too high water temperatures off Florida.View attachment 330001
I wonder if its harboring any Swordfish or Barracuda...
1690992921941.png
1690992947682.png

• Haha
Likes diogenesNY, pinball1970, berkeman and 1 other person
  • #5,358
pinball1970 said:
TIL learned NASA found Voyager 2 again. TODIL (the other day I learned) That they had lost it but I thought I'd wait till they found it again before posting.
Oops...

CNN —

The Voyager mission team at NASA has been able to detect a signal from Voyager 2 after losing contact with the spacecraft, which has been operating for nearly 46 years.

“We enlisted the help of the (Deep Space Network) and Radio Science groups to help to see if we could hear a signal from Voyager 2,” said Suzanne Dodd, Voyager’s project manager at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. “This was successful in that we see the ‘heartbeat’ signal from the spacecraft. So, we know the spacecraft is alive and operating. This buoyed our spirits.”

Commands sent to Voyager 2 on July 21 accidentally caused the spacecraft’s antenna to point 2 degrees away from Earth. The miniscule shift means that Voyager 2 can’t receive any commands from mission control or send data back to Earth from its location more than 12.3 billion miles (19.9 billion kilometers) in interstellar space.

The mission team was pleasantly surprised to be able to detect the spacecraft’s “carrier signal” using the Deep Space Network, an international array of massive radio antennas that allows NASA to communicate with missions across the cosmos.

Each of the three giant dishes are equidistant, meaning that one is always in communication with different spacecraft as Earth rotates. One radio antenna is located at Goldstone near Barstow, California, the second near Madrid, and the third near Canberra, Australia.

Now, the mission team will attempt to send a signal back to the spacecraft.

“We are now generating a new command to attempt to point the spacecraft antenna toward Earth,” Dodd said. “There is a low probability that this will work.”
https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/01/world/voyager-2-communication-blackout-scn/index.html

(emphasis mine) That's kind of depressing...

Likes BillTre
  • #5,359
berkeman said:
Oh..that IS TIL and IS v depressing.

Some PhD student, "what's this dude?"
PhD "Dude! Don't touch that!"
Some PhD student, "Dude don't panic, just the the dish in Oz, see what happens if you change the orientation by a few %."
PhD "That's actual V2, you didn't touch it right?"
Some PhD student, "It's ok, just turned it back. No harm."
PhD "Ok. Except the first command will mean the second command will not be received."
Some PhD, "Dude, of course yeah, I'm learning so much here."

Likes strangerep and berkeman
  • #5,360
pinball1970 said:
[...]
Some PhD, "Dude, of course yeah, I'm learning so much here."
That reminds me of when I had the task of "supervising" a 3rd yr compsci student over the Dec-Jan univ holidays. He wondered what would happen if he adjusted an aircon dial in our main computer room. He caused an instant precautionary shutdown of our main server -- during a peak usage time. Yeah, he learned that lesson... (sigh)

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #5,361

• #5,362
You know, if I had encountered this on a real test, it is quite possible I'd have gotten it wrong.
Not because I don't know my grammar but because I read through it too fast and interpolated words that weren't there.
1691092211703.png

• #5,363
DaveC426913 said:
You know, if I had encountered this on a real test, it is quite possible I'd have gotten it wrong.
Not because I don't know my grammar but because I read through it too fast and interpolated words that weren't there. ...

I did the same on first reading, mentally inserting "practicING" where it said "practice", because that is what our mind does when we read - like that famous example of a paragraph with every single word grossly misspelled, yet it is easily read, because the first and last letters are correct (and maybe the right number of letters? I forget). But since I didn't see any error in the first go-around, I took a closer look the second, and caught it, so I do think I would have got it on a test.

Nit -pick (for fun), since"practicING" is longer than "practice", I think you "extrapolated", rather than "interpolated"! :)

Ahhh, here it is - the trick is first/last letters correct, middle letters mixed up, but the right letters:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Likes gmax137
  • #5,364
NTL2009 said:
Nit -pick (for fun), since"practicING" is longer than "practice", I think you "extrapolated", rather than "interpolated"! :)
or, interpolated the word "to"

They began practice their piano duet
becomes
They began to practice their piano duet

Likes Math100 and DaveC426913
  • #5,365
NTL2009 said:
I did the same on first reading, mentally inserting "practicING" where it said "practice", because that is what our mind does when we read
Me, I think I assumed the word 'to' before 'practice'.

• #5,366
NTL2009 said:
I did the same on first reading, mentally inserting "practicING" where it said "practice", because that is what our mind does when we read ...
In UK English, the word "practice" as a verb is already wrong in this context; it should be "practise" (the spelling follows the same scheme as advise/advice). So I considered that one wrong even before I spotted the missing "to"!

• Informative
Likes dextercioby and jack action
  • #5,367
TIL:
Jonathan Scott said:
In UK English, the word "practice" as a verb ... should be "practise" (the spelling follows the same scheme as advise/advice).

I did not know that!

• #5,368
strangerep said:
That reminds me of when I had the task of "supervising" a 3rd yr compsci student over the Dec-Jan univ holidays. He wondered what would happen if he adjusted an aircon dial in our main computer room. He caused an instant precautionary shutdown of our main server -- during a peak usage time. Yeah, he learned that lesson... (sigh)
My previous company was pretty good in terms of student placement and summer jobs. We got a lot of foreign students too.
Great fun trying to learn the languages.
From memory no real gaffs, they were smart kids.
Also from memory I got absolutely nowhere with Portuguese.

• #5,369
Jonathan Scott said:
(the spelling follows the same scheme as advise/advice).
Does the pronunciation follow the same scheme?

English people: "Just going into my dental office to practiss my practizz."
:oldbiggrin:

• #5,370
DaveC426913 said:
No, "practice" and "practise" in UK (and Australian) English usually sound the same. And even though the verb form is "practise", it is very common for people to get it wrong, which is why the "advise/advice" hint is very useful. As an amateur musician, I'm very familiar with the word in both forms.

Likes pinball1970
  • #5,371
Jonathan Scott said:
In UK English, the word "practice" as a verb ... should be "practise" (the spelling follows the same scheme as advise/advice).
Also license/licence.

• #5,372
Reminds me of this one.

Paris
in the
the spring

• #5,373
Borg said:
Reminds me of this one.

Paris
in the
the spring
Yeah and it got me again

• #5,374
This year is a hot one.
Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 11.41.43 AM.png

• Sad
  • Wow
Likes collinsmark, pinball1970 and berkeman
  • #5,375
BillTre said:
This year is a hot one.
View attachment 330129
Could be nothing to do with people though Bill. Natural cycle. Our contribution could be minimal, negligible.
Options are.
Do nothing.
Do something I would add "just in case."

• Skeptical
Likes BillTre
  • #5,376
pinball1970 said:
Could be nothing to do with people though Bill. Natural cycle. Our contribution could be minimal, negligible.
Options are.
Do nothing.
Do something I would add "just in case."
I was being a little bit sarcastic. Edit. A lot actually

Likes BillTre
  • #5,377
pinball1970 said:
I was being a little bit sarcastic. Edit. A lot actually
We've been plotting your sarcasm over the years, and this year it is off the charts... :wink:

pinball sarcasm index.jpg

• Haha
Likes NTL2009, collinsmark, Borg and 7 others
  • #5,379
RIL (recently I learned) That there are some very complimentary views of pf on another science forum (Greg, it was a one time thing, it meant nothing plus I had been drinking heavily)
I'm on Facebook because of music announcements but don't participate in chat, not on twitter (is that just "X" now?) but I use YT a lot and encounter the discussion that goes with it.
This site is not a horror show in that way and some of the posters seem decent and well informed but there are elements of that in there.
Anyway the summary of pf summed up the pf mission I think. "Real" science discussed experts, no bs, ( paraphrasing)

Likes BillTre
  • #5,380
Hmm... Sounds like we've got 'em all fooled. :wink:

(sorry, just couldn't resist)

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #5,381
DaveC426913 said:

English people: "Just going into my dental office to practiss my practizz."
:oldbiggrin:
Practice is the same in UK, Advise is like "eyes" ending and advice is more like "ice" ending.

Last edited:
  • #5,382
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/tree-in-pakistan-remains-under-arrest-for-120-years/1132523 said:

Tree in Pakistan remains ‘under arrest’ for 120 years​

thumbs_b_c_0de69e350873f5a42e0b739f5e07efa7.jpg

[...]

Despite the fact that Pakistan gained its independence from British colonial rule in 1947, a board on the tree still reads: " I am under arrest. One evening a British officer heavily drunk thought that I was moving from my original location and ordered mess sergeant to arrest me since then I am under arrest."

[...]

Abu Zar Khan Afridi, a journalist from the area, said the tree "shows the oppression of British rule in the subcontinent and just imagine if a British officer could put a tree in chain then how were treating the locals of that era?"

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
  • #5,383
I keep an open mind. Do we really know what that tree was up to?

• #5,384
pinball1970 said:
Just kids, you know?

Likes pinball1970
  • #5,385
pinball1970 said:
Looks shady to me.

• Haha
Likes diogenesNY, Swamp Thing, BillTre and 5 others
  • #5,386
After reading the interesting post #16 of Perok that Muhammad Ali never served jail time and was freed by SCOTUS on appeal for draft evasion, I learned further today, that the court actually voted 5-3 to send him to jail, but reversed itself 8-0 after a clerk pointed out that DOJ had withheld from his draft board reliable testimony supporting his religious sincerity.
https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2017/09/08/muhammad-ali-supreme-court-vietnam-war

• #5,387
TIL that those fizzy/effervescent tablets often has some really dramatic sodium content :frown:

My blood pressure went haywire for a period parallel with the 30+ days this summer (without any apparent medical reason, and that was a medical conclusion: no worries) and finally found the likely culprit - 4-5 of those tablets a day that time :doh:

Selling them as sweet, refreshing vitamin supplements is quite a killing 😰

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes russ_watters and BillTre
  • #5,388
Ex-London, the UK is poorer than Mississippi

F3Pky9uX0AEwOvn?format=png&name=large.png

• Informative
  • Wow
Likes BillTre and berkeman
  • #5,389
BWV said:
Ex-London, the UK is poorer than Mississippi

View attachment 330388
That's a downer. Not the way we would like Manchester to be on the map.