Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #1,331
TIL that electrical circuits on boat docks do not necessarily have GFCIs. While many state governments do not require it, but it is just common sense to have GFCIs on any electrical circuit near water. It shouldn't be necessary for governments to mandate safety practices - but apparently it is.

Grieving Parents Warn Against the Dangers of Lake Electricity After Daughter Is Killed
https://gma.yahoo.com/grieving-parents-warn-against-dangers-lake-electricity-daughter-160804236--abc-news-topstories.html

Likes 1oldman2
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,332
TIL bald spots make good targets for Mockingbirds protecting their young. :olduhh:

Likes Hoophy and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #1,333
TIL that the recommended daily calorie intake for a male rower in an ocean-going solo rowboat is 4,000, although apparently one can get by with 2,700 in the form of 2 breakfasts + 2 dinners + grains, muesli, powdered drinks.

• #1,334
dlgoff said:
TIL bald spots make good targets for Mockingbirds protecting their young. :olduhh:
lol...Is there a story to share?

• #1,335
Today I learned that a Twinkie has more energy pound for pound than TNT. Twinkies just do not release it as fast.

Likes EnumaElish, Hornbein and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #1,336
Astronuc said:
TIL that electrical circuits on boat docks do not necessarily have GFCIs. While many state governments do not require it, but it is just common sense to have GFCIs on any electrical circuit near water. It shouldn't be necessary for governments to mandate safety practices - but apparently it is.

Grieving Parents Warn Against the Dangers of Lake Electricity After Daughter Is Killed
https://gma.yahoo.com/grieving-parents-warn-against-dangers-lake-electricity-daughter-160804236--abc-news-topstories.html
This is so sad, I remember when "common sense" was more than just a John Prine album.

• #1,337
Today I learned that Julian Assange tricked the US gvt into forcing down the plane of the President of Bolivia in an attempt to capture Edward Snowden. Assange discussed the fake "plan" on an unsecure line.

Likes EnumaElish
  • #1,338
ProfuselyQuarky said:
lol...Is there a story to share?
No. Just a couple scratches.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #1,339
dlgoff said:
No. Just a couple scratches.
Has it been like this?
55385_lustiger_vogel.jpg

Likes Sophia, dlgoff, Hoophy and 1 other person
  • #1,340
Astronuc said:

I wonder: how far across the water can disabling shocks go given whatever common power sources are found on boat docks? I would have thought just a few (less than 10) meters but the article seems to imply much more.

• #1,341
fresh_42 said:
Has it been like this?
55385_lustiger_vogel.jpg

Cool hair cut, Fresh.

Likes Sophia, 1oldman2, Hoophy and 2 others
  • #1,342
WWGD said:
Cool hair cut, Fresh.

Feather cuts seem to be in style.

• #1,343
Today I learned Kai-lan, Kohlrabi, Savoy, Collard Greens, Brussels Sprouts, Kale, Cauliflower, CABBAGE, and Broccoli are all the same species. I love domestication!

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Sophia
  • #1,344
Today I learned that Jupiter's Red Spot has turned orange.

Likes 1oldman2 and Hoophy
  • #1,345
Hornbein said:
Today I learned that Jupiter's Red Spot has turned orange.
Where did you hear that? I missed it.
(never mind, found it) thanks by the way. :smile:

• #1,347
Today I learned that during the Martian summer atmospheric concentrations of Methane increase and then fall during the Martian winter. All though many geological processes could produce this Methane, maybe there is a (very) remote chance it is from microbes. After all, microbes seem to generally have faster metabolisms in warmer environments.

• #1,348
TIL about Planes That Changed the World 2of3 Douglas DC3

and the SR-71

Likes Hoophy and 1oldman2
  • #1,349
Hoophy said:
Today I learned Kai-lan, Kohlrabi, Savoy, Collard Greens, Brussels Sprouts, Kale, Cauliflower, CABBAGE, and Broccoli are all the same species. I love domestication!
Yep. The species called: open the window.

Likes Hoophy and Sophia
  • #1,350
I learned how to replace the backcover of a Huawei P6.

An "old" phone lying around the house had one of the corners "detached" from the main body after it was dropped.
So I got around fixing it.

I also learned that its normal that it heats up (a lot) when doing intensive stuff.
I don't get why they didn't fix it though, it's quite disconcerting with the occasional story of exploding batteries.

• #1,351
Today I learned that Trump voters are more educated and have 20% higher incomes than Sanders or Clinton voters.

Likes kdv
  • #1,352
Hornbein said:
Today I learned that Trump voters are more educated and have 20% higher incomes than Sanders or Clinton voters.
Source please. :-p

Likes mfb
  • #1,354
Hornbein said:

That doesn't surprise me all that much, but that's only because I've read the chapter in Lies My Teacher Told Me about the myth that educated people are somehow more liberal or tolerant (the specific example was regarding the war in Vietnam). I was a little surprised then, even thought in hindsight maybe I shouldn't have been.

As for what I learned today, it's to be more careful when following recipes.

• #1,355
Last edited:
Likes mfb
  • #1,356
collinsmark said:
The article says nothing about education level.
it grazes the subject in next to last paragraph

Likewise, although about 44 percent of Trump supporters have college degrees, according to exit polls — lower than the 50 percent for Cruz supporters or 64 percent for Kasich supporters — that’s still higher than the https://www.census.gov/hhes/socdemo/education/data/cps/2014/tables.html , or the 29 percent of American adults overall, who have at least a bachelor’s degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,357
collinsmark said:
[Emphasis mine.]

The article says nothing about education level. [As in direct comparison of Trump voters with Clinton or Sanders voters.]

By golly, you're right. I couldn't find statistics about degrees for Clinton-Sanders voters.

Likewise, although about 44 percent of Trump supporters have college degrees, according to exit polls.

• #1,358
jim hardy said:
it grazes the subject in next to last paragraph
I did read that, but it's not a direct comparison of education level between of Trump voters with Clinton or Sanders voters. Rather it's a comparison between Trump voters and voters of other republican candidates, and also some US census data thrown in.

• #1,359
collinsmark said:
I did read that, but it's not a direct comparison of education level between of Trump voters with Clinton or Sanders voters. Rather it's a comparison between Trump voters and voters of other republican candidates, and also some US census data thrown in.

Democrats hold advantages in party identification among blacks, Asians, Hispanics, well-educated adults and Millennials. Republicans have leads among whites – particularly white men, those with less education and evangelical Protestants – as well as members of the Silent Generation.
http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/07/a-deep-dive-into-party-affiliation/

I believe it is true that the higher the level of education, the more likely one is to be a Democrat.

Likes Buzz Bloom and mfb
  • #1,360
collinsmark said:
I did read that, but it's not a direct comparison of education level between of Trump voters with Clinton or Sanders voters.
edit noted.
yes, that's why i said "graze..."

somebody will surely find that statistic.

• #1,362
Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/07/a-deep-dive-into-party-affiliation/

I believe it is true that the higher the level of education, the more likely one is to be a Democrat.
I thought that as well, but the data in that article don't exactly support it. It seems to be just barely true today, but that seems to be fairly recent. During most of the past 20 years Rs were more likely to be college educated. The graphs are not constructed for this purpose, so its confusing. There were more college educated people voting Democratic, but more likely that a Republican be college educated than a Democrat.

In most of those years
P[ College educated voter votes D ] > P[ College educated voter votes R ]
P[ Republican is college educated ] > P[ Democrat is college educated ]

this is largely because
P[ Voter is D ] > P[Voter is R]

The D's have a big advantage in post-grads. Maybe that's where the impression comes from. Doctors, lawyers, and finance people shifting to D. Not surprising, as the D's policies increasingly favor the well-to-do "yuppie" class.

But the D's also have an advantage in no-college folks, so it isn't clear that education is correlated with Dness. If it is, it isn't much.

Recall that this is registered party members. The situation with the general public is surely different. Maybe that's where the impression comes from. Registered Democrats and those who vote Democratic are not the same group.

Thanks, this is really interesting.

Last edited:
  • #1,363
Today I learned that if a dog chases a kangaroo, the kangaroo will head for water, go in, and turn and wait for the dog. If the dog comes into the water, the kangaroo will then grab it and hold it under the water until it drowns.

Likes Hoophy, Sophia and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #1,364
Today I learned that it took life 500 millions year to learn photosynthesis.

Well, I learned photosynthesis in elementary school.

Likes mfb and Sophia
  • #1,365
Stephanus said:
Today I learned that it took life 500 millions year to learn photosynthesis.

Well, I learned photosynthesis in elementary school.

But you aren't a huge rock.