Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Today I learned

1. Mar 21, 2017 #2076

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Difference in value between my high school days and now is orders of magnitude.
    Around 1995 i built this little K-88 audio amp kit for my office, to stream background.
    k88AmpKit.jpg

I hot glued it in a sardine can and velcro-ed to the side of my monitor.
    It's a linear and look at that THD ! i think it cost about ten bucks then and took fifteen minutes to build. A couple old 6" pipe tees made steampunk enclosures. Tuned them to 6" woofers . Sound was great at low volume which used to be the mark of good equipment.
    For contrast
    In high school , 1964, i built a record player for my girlfriend with push pull 6AQ5's (miniature 6V6's) . Worked a week drilling for tube sockets and wiring the chassis. Just a decent output transformer cost me ten bucks even back then. K-88 is about same power and way superior performance not to mention it doesn't heat the room.

So i can only shake my head in wonderment at what's available to the hobbyist nowadays.
    We old guys can do that for dramatic effect. Recall Doc Brown's amazement at Marty McFly's videocam?

Just bought my first "Class D" for the TV bookshelf speakers, anxious to try it out.
    On living room stereo speakers though i remain old school. Keeping my antique 12 inch reflex Altecs forever because they 'fill the room' with sound. I've yet to encounter a compact speaker that can evoke frisson.

And, today i learned "What is a Fiio " ? Thanks !

old jim

2. Mar 21, 2017 #2077

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Today I learned (not for the first time) that there are two sides to every story.

It's interesting how people's recollection of events can be wildly different. Sometimes I wish we were all robots! Or, barring that, big, smelly dogs like @phinds!

3. Mar 21, 2017 #2078

phinds

Gold Member

I'll have you know that I smell WONDERFUL. Sometimes. OK, only occasionally. OK, only right after grooming. But I smell WONDERFUL right after grooming !

4. Mar 21, 2017 #2079

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

When I was in grade school, a teacher in one class performed an experiment where she took a student into the hall and told them a complex story. That student repeated it to the next student, etc. until the story made it's way through the entire class. The last student recited the story and then the teacher revealed the original story on the whiteboard. It wasn't even close.

5. Mar 21, 2017 #2080

phinds

Gold Member

Yeah, I've noticed that too, but then I've also noticed that my side is always right. Curious how that works out.

6. Mar 21, 2017 #2081

Drakkith

:rolleyes:

7. Mar 21, 2017 #2082
    Wow, usually my side is wrong here on PF... or maybe there's just a lot of people here smarter than I (but can this actually be???). Very interesting stuff to think about...

8. Mar 22, 2017 #2083

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

9. Mar 22, 2017 #2084

jtbell

10. Mar 22, 2017 #2085

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Today I learned sadly that Chuck Barris is dead.
    RIP Chuck Barris

"Have You Got A Nickle?"

11. Mar 26, 2017 #2086
    I learned that when a website does not respond fast enough, I need to stop hitting the Post Reply button again and again until the machine does what I want it to do.

Stupid machines.

12. Mar 26, 2017 #2087

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well okay, then. Troubleshoot this !

Terminated.jpg

No more recalcitrance out of that one.

13. Mar 31, 2017 #2088

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I was reading an article about a man who collected $763,000 in missing money. I followed the links and put my name in just for the heck of it. TIL that I have over $50 in unclaimed money for a previous address that I lived at.
    :partytime:

14. Mar 31, 2017 #2089
    I did that once, but the cost of getting a notarized claim for it was higher than the amount I supposedly had.

15. Mar 31, 2017 #2090

BillTre

Science Advisor

TIL that you can play Ms. Pac-Man on Google maps today (and presumably tomorrow (April Fool's Day).
    It seems to use roads from a randomly selected area.
    Punch the Pac-Man square at lower left to play.

16. Mar 31, 2017 #2091

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Can't figure out how to play the game, but this is freakin' cool!

They surveyed the heights of all my @#%&$#% neighbor's trees........

That is some serious computing power there, if they did this for everywhere.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  17. Mar 31, 2017 #2092

fresh_42

2017 Award

I hate Google's redirect. <grrrr>

18. Mar 31, 2017 #2093
    Today I learned, that I haven't failed. I have merely found 1001 ways that do not work. #semigroup-theory-is-awesome, #friday-nights-with-semigroup-theory, #deadline-is-in-one-month, #no-pressure.

Ok enough with the hashtag BS -.-

19. Mar 31, 2017 #2094

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I guess that it depends on the state. Mine just wants a photocopy of two forms of ID and a bill showing the address that I lived at. I'll make copies next week, send it in and see what happens.

For those who are interested in checking, the link that I used was this - http://www.missingmoney.com/. Once I saw a match, I followed a link to my state's lost money site.

20. Mar 31, 2017 #2095

Buzz Bloom

Gold Member

Hi Borg:

I confess I am a cautious person regarding possible scams. Try to make sure the organization and address are legit before sending them ID information.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Buzz

21. Mar 31, 2017 #2096

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Thanks, Buzz. My wife and I are extremely careful with regard to possible scams. When I told her about it, that was the first thing that she asked if I verified. The claim form came directly from the Virginia State Treasury - https://www.vamoneysearch.org/.

22. Mar 31, 2017 #2097

BillTre

Science Advisor

I used the arrow keys on my Mac laptop.
    Possible alternates might be keys on the numberpad (which I don't have) or the sets of letter keys (forget what they are) sometimes used for similar things.

23. Apr 1, 2017 #2098

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Ah ha! I opened the "Google Earth" app by mistake.
    Now I get it.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6330699,-121.1302995,18z/data=!1e3

ps. Today I learned that I'm really bad at playing Ms. Pacman.
    pps. Not sure what button I clicked on earlier on the "Google Earth" app, but I seem to have activated "3D trees", which is a sub-item under "3D buildings". Anyways, that's what I got all excited about this morning.
    ppps. It appears that "3D trees" has been available for 7 years, but only for selected cities. Not sure when Portland got added. The feature is not available for some small towns I checked: Madras & Veneta, Oregon.

24. Apr 1, 2017 #2099

fresh_42

2017 Award

NYC with its rectangular streets might be good unless the blocks aren't too large.
    Yep, tested.

25. Apr 1, 2017 #2100

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

Today I learned... how to build a lightsaber.
    33744728526_96e0a3bbf0_c.jpg
    Source (1:50 - ): Youtube link

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted