Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Today I learned

1. Aug 1, 2016 #1661
    Today I learned that, in the state of Texas, anyway, there is a crime called "tresspassing by projectile." It consists of shooting from one property ( where you may or may not have permission to shoot) onto another property where you don't have permission to shoot.

2. Aug 1, 2016 #1662

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Texas, of course.

Does an apple count as projectile?

3. Aug 1, 2016 #1663

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

I guess not. But neighbor boy's football might. :wink:

4. Aug 1, 2016 #1664

RonL

Gold Member

You might check out the saying that one might make to another, "you are absolutely glowing":smile:

5. Aug 1, 2016 #1665
    It would be interesting to read the actual law and see if it can be applied to anything other than bullets.

The reason this came up is because a group of people were shooting shot guns into the air from one property and the pellets were falling onto a neighbors cars. They pretty much destroyed the windshields with pits. (The show was called, "Southern Justice." A reality show like "Cops," but set in rural Texas.)

That being the case, if the thrown apples were obviously causing some kind of damage or if they were deliberately being thrown at a neighbor, I'm thinking this law could be invoked.

6. Aug 1, 2016 #1666

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I think my comment, and subsequent comments, deserve a new thread, as I took mfb's advice, and did the "stick my head in an oven" experiment again at 5 am this morning.
    I saw the strangest of things.
    And the maths that followed, were even stranger.
    But the new thread will have to wait, as it's time for my nap.

7. Aug 2, 2016 #1667
    Today I learned how to hit a ball with a stick and there will always be "Next". :biggrin:

8. Aug 2, 2016 #1668
    Today, I learned hundreds of French names from babynology.com and completed my first assignment of my French language course.

9. Aug 2, 2016 #1669
    I Learned today about brainstorming (why and how etc). :woot: I find the professor and her assistants are just so informative in their lecture and only hope the students later graduating from Stanford will be similarly good or probably better . The one thing I like from her lecture is instead of starting my comments in other people's talks or works with YES, BUT pattern, I need to learn to practice doing so with YES, AND one. How thoughtful!

10. Aug 3, 2016 #1670

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's how you make the whole greater than the sum of its parts....
    Harry Truman said "It's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't care who gets the credit"

old jim

11. Aug 4, 2016 #1671

OmCheeto

Gold Member

TIL that seabirds take naps while flying out at sea.
    They can also nap just half their brain at a time, so the other half can pay attention, and not run into other birds.
    [ref]

12. Aug 4, 2016 #1672

RonL

Gold Member

Til, never trash your wife's favorite political candidate 30 minutes before she trims your hair ?:), not my brightest moment :oops:o_O:eek::wideeyed:

13. Aug 4, 2016 #1673

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

14. Aug 4, 2016 #1674

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That explains Donald Trump, then.

15. Aug 4, 2016 #1675

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Today I learned (or rather just realized) that "Little Bow Peep" can be used as a legitimate archery term.

A "peep" is analogous to the rear sight of a gun (they are functionally equivalent), except peeps are used in archery. They attach to the bowstring. Peeps are standard on compound bows and are sometimes used on recurve bows. (Not all recurve and/or standard bow archers used peeps. Some do, some don't. But a compound bow is almost guaranteed to have a peep.) Peeps come in several different sizes and styles.

After that it's just a matter of punctuation. "Little Bow Peep," or "Little, Bow Peep" -- one describing a peep used on a small bow, and the other describing a small peep for a bow.

16. Aug 5, 2016 #1676

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Reminds me of a panda in a cafe. :smile:

17. Aug 6, 2016 #1677

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've hunted with a compound bow for years. No front or peep; who needs them. :oldbiggrin:

18. Aug 7, 2016 #1678

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Today (well, yesterday) I learned that it's good to trust my instincts when I spotted a UFO.

The UFO was initially just a slow-moving bright point of light in the daytime sky, too slow to be an aircraft. When I looked at it using binoculars, it was a tiny bright golden-yellow circle, just like a picture of the sun. My wife and I concluded that it must be a balloon, and the direction of motion appear to be consistent with the prevailing light wind, although we couldn't tell the distance.

Several hours later, we spotted a golden-yellow party balloon floating low over the house, again moving slowly downwind. We rapidly realised that it must be identical to the earlier UFO, and sure enough, as it floated into the distance, it looked very similar to the earlier one, except that this time the sun was further round, so it was only half-illuminated directly, and other half was a darker yellow-brown colour.

19. Aug 15, 2016 #1679
    TIL, that for the second time since installing Win10 it has reset my computer to boot on only one core after an update, I hate the way it changes other minor settings also. The moral of the story is if your running 10 you might want to check the system configure on your machine. :smile:

20. Aug 15, 2016 #1680
    I learned about epilepsy today.
    I don't know how true these people's descriptions of what they've been through actually are but am so happy I haven't had it so far. I did witness several kids around my house experiencing it painfully (like those being possessed in exorcism related movies).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted