Today I learned that it was nothing like as easy to replace my cooker hood fan motor as I had hoped. Firstly, the new wires were black, white, red and brown but the old one had blue, black, grey, white (and a circuit diagram inside the hood). On the old one blue = neutral, black = speed 1, grey = speed 2, white = speed 3. From a considerable amount of Googling I eventually came to the provisional conclusion that on the new one red = neutral (!), black = speed 1, white = speed 2, brown = speed 3, which fortunately turned out to be correct (given that there were 23 ways of getting wrong). Secondly, the new one just had bare wires but the old one had crimped spade terminals to fit approx 2.5mm blade contacts on the back of the switch. I ended up breaking the spade terminals off the end of the old wires and soldering the new wires to them. Thirdly, I needed at least 3 hands to put the hood back. I had got half way (using a stack of folding crates to prop things up) when fortunately my wife came home and was able to help. At least it seems to work well. I had only just got started on it when I somehow ended up chewing a large chunk of tooth, losing about 1/4 of a premolar. Fortunately it doesn't hurt and I've arranged to see a dentist tomorrow morning. By then I'll probably have a hole in my tongue from probing the sharp edge! And I've got a baroque concerto rehearsal this evening, where I play harpsichord continuo, so I have to take my not-very-portable digital keyboard and carry it between the car park and the church, which is not easy. I only had time for this because I hadn't yet taken all my vacation for the last year, and the company has a policy of "use it or lose it", so I'm on vacation from today for nearly 3 weeks. I'm beginning to think I'd rather be working. As it is, I expect to have a scary backlog when I return.