Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Today I learned

1. Aug 15, 2016 #1681
    Yeah it's a scary disease but it can fortunately be managed well in many cases. Recently people with epilepsy have been allowed to get a driving licence here, if their doctor allows.
    Sadly, for some people medication doesn't work so well.

2. Aug 15, 2016 #1682

RonL

Gold Member

Today I Learned, Om has a web site :woot:

"That's exactly as far as I got.
    Interesting.
    hmmm.... I have many theories outside of EE that I'm not allowed to share here at the forum.
    Doesn't bother me a bit, as, like you, I post them on my own website.
    My website get's about one view per year, and no one in 20 years has commented on my theories.
    I took that as a clue."

Tell me more, tell me more...... :biggrin:

3. Aug 15, 2016 #1683

OmCheeto

Gold Member

It's a "humorous" site.

A small excerpt:
    Though, as funny as it seems, the concept has actually been put into practical use.

[edit] Long before I thought of it, btw.....

4. Aug 15, 2016 #1684

OmCheeto

Gold Member

TIL something about the Beatle's "Blackbird" song:

Om on Facebook;
    "A lovely little sad song. Listening to it, it reminded me of Simone Manuel's reaction to winning the gold medal, and the history of why it was significant. This made me curious as to the original inspiration of the song, as it seemed to fit too well."

Wiki claims; "McCartney has stated that the lyrics of the song were inspired by the unfortunate state of race relations in the United States in the 1960s."​

Well, there you are then."​

5. Aug 15, 2016 #1685

RonL

Gold Member

Didn't know anything practical had been accomplished, but in 1976, I tried to get a patent on a wheel design that would convert your 100' height into about 1/2" strokes that were spaced around the tires, pumping small shots of hydraulic fluid to a drive motor. The simple math gave me a positive power up to about 12 miles per hour, at that point the car weight remaining fixed, killed any additional speed.:frown:

6. Aug 15, 2016 #1686

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Your's sounds suspiciously just like the invention I'm planning on patenting.
    hmm........

ps. Today I would like to learn where to get one of those "patent idea" notebooks. I hear they are some kind of special. hmmmm..... [google google google]

TIL, that they aren't that special:

"The only required element is that it contain bound pages that can't be temporarily removed (no loose-leaf binders). That's because, as you move forward in the invention process, you'll need to record your progress chronologically. This includes your own thoughts about your idea and your plan of action, as well as any and all conversations you have with others, especially potential business contacts like engineers or manufacturers. Be sure to date these conversations and detail them in your notebook. You'll want to do that because, as recommended by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office , your dated notebook will act as a record to validate your progress..."

7. Aug 15, 2016 #1687

RonL

Gold Member

My design was rejected three times and the final rejection was based on an air pump connected to a train wheel (in 1897 no less), I did not have money to continue trying to get coverage of any type, it pretty well broke my spirit for getting invested in things beyond my mental and financial means. My head is still full of "STUFF" o0)

8. Aug 15, 2016 #1688

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Here's an interesting story on this subject I read today:
    http://www.littlethings.com/real-peter-norman-story/?utm_source=tickld&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=miracle [Broken]

Also a TIL. Didn't think the Australians had similar issues for so long.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  9. Aug 19, 2016 #1689
    TIL, while going through my email, the US government is giving research grants to break the laws....of physics. This led to some very interesting reading on time reversal symmetry as well as reciprocity breaking. It appears the research should benefit superconductive, meta-materials and quantum computing development to mention a few fields. http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=189493&WT.mc_id=USNSF_51&WT.mc_ev=click

10. Aug 19, 2016 #1690

OmCheeto

Gold Member

1897? Ha ha! That's actually the era where I expect to find MY patentable idea. This is just too simple.

ps. Send me a PM of the 1897 patent, as TIL that there were 22,065 "utility" patents issued that year. I ain't got time for that much searchin'

11. Aug 20, 2016 #1691
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  12. Aug 20, 2016 #1692

mfb

2017 Award

Nice :)

On what level is the German in the book?

13. Aug 20, 2016 #1693
    It's on a very basic level. It's specifically written as first reading for beginners. There are 10 (very) short stories about a young man from Italy who came to Berlin in order to learn German. There are several books in the series and I've already bought second one.
    I took a year of German 9 years ago and now I'm trying to revise and learn more. This book is exactly the level that fits my needs :-)

14. Aug 20, 2016 #1694

fresh_42

2017 Award

TIL that Sloop John B is actually an Irish folk song for the tin whistle. (Micho Russell, I remember you!)
    This explains the very first note, but I'm still not sure if it is a "c" and which one.

Corr.: Bahamas.

15. Aug 20, 2016 #1695

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Today I learned that LED 100W-equivalent light bulbs (1500 lumens) have now reached the point where they fit in my existing light fittings (well, I had to modify one of the shades slightly) and produce similar light to the old incandescent bulbs. We bought some (at 12.99 UK pounds each - many times the price of the old bulbs) and finally have enough light from the ceiling light that we no longer need the table lamps as well to be able to read comfortably. It's great to have light again which actually comes on at full brightness when I turn on the switch!

Unfortunately these ones are not dimmable, so they are not yet suitable to replace the existing bulbs in our bedrooms, and anyway LED dimmables (which are currently too bulky for our light fittings) will need new dimmer switches as the ones for incandescent bulbs don't work properly with LEDs. We tried a dimmable CFL, but it didn't dim properly and it also made a loud buzzing as soon as it was no longer at maximum. At the moment, we have halogen incandescent bulbs, which only come in clear glass, so we get annoying glimpses of the bright filament and it makes very sharp shadows.

However, this is definitely progress. Within a few years I hope we will be back to where we were with cheap incandescent bulbs.

And perhaps they could introduce a built-in "heating" feature too; I used to like the fact that my old desk lamp took the chill off the surface of my desk and my keyboard in cold weather, making my hands and arms more comfortable, but now I have to turn up the room heating instead. :wink:

16. Aug 20, 2016 #1696

mfb

2017 Award

They last basically forever, and save electricity - in the long run they are cheaper. Even if you have to heat a bit more.

17. Aug 21, 2016 #1697
    Today I learned that The Science Forum is not the Physics Forum.

18. Aug 21, 2016 #1698

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Stick around ... you might like this place as well.

19. Aug 21, 2016 #1699
    I hope so...

20. Aug 21, 2016 #1700

rbelli1

Gold Member

TIL: Why the moderators here can seem a bit crotchety at times.

BoB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted