Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #3,361
http://madeupinbritain.uk/Mayday said:
The international distress call 'Mayday' was devised by Mockford 1923.

Pilots needed a clear panic call. Calling out 'SOS' over early radio communication was easily lost in transmission. Frederick was the senior radio officer at Croydon Airport in London and was given the task of finding a suitable call.

French influence

The majority of air traffic at the time was between Croydon and Le Bourget Airport in Paris. He heard French pilots using the term ‘M’aidez’, literally help me. It sounded like "Mayday" and because it had a stronger sound that both English and French pilots were familiar with Mockford suggested Mayday.In 1924, the Book of Wireless Telegraphy identified ‘Mayday’ as the international distress call.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,362
As long as nobody manages to ask Mockford, this question is not decidable, especially as they are pronounced identically. I still think venez m'aider was the original version which was shortened, rather than the grammatical correct m'aidez. In case of emergency nobody actually cares about grammar and infinitives are usually the clearer command and often by themselves a command. A fact that cannot be seen in english, but in other languages, e.g. in french: m'aider! is a command, m'aidez a polite question.

• #3,363
umm, no : "aider" means "to help" ; "Venez m'aider" is "You-come to-help me", which is reasonable, except it's actually "m'aidez" : "you-help me". I think there are a few verbs which imperative form is abnormal, but "aider" isn't one of them.

• #3,364
hmmm27 said:
umm, no : "aider" means "to help" ; "Venez m'aider" is "You-come to-help me", which is reasonable, except it's actually "m'aidez" : "you-help me". I think there are a few verbs which imperative form is abnormal, but "aider" isn't one of them.
Sorry, I do not believe in séances, so you cannot have asked Mockford from my point of view.

Venez m'aider is more plausible than m'aidez is, because in that case it would have been aidez moi, or aidez nous.

Likes etotheipi
  • #3,365
The "mayday" discussion is interesting (either way I learned something new there). But let's get back to this:
chemisttree said:
Oh, thank goodness! I thought this day would never come!
View attachment 268389
I just had a pavlovian dog reaction to this photo. I could taste the sour hot peppers and actually started drooling. It is three hours until lunchtime here.

Likes BillTre
  • #3,366
gmax137 said:
I just had a pavlovian dog reaction to this photo. I could taste the sour hot peppers and actually started drooling. It is three hours until lunchtime here.

Had a decent biryani an hour ago, satiation is in the gut of the beholder. Besides, anything more than onions, mustard, and relish | sauerkraut on a hotdog, is overkill. [edit: and cheese, of course]

fresh_42 said:
Sorry, I do not believe in séances, so you cannot have asked Mockford from my point of view.
Why ask Mockford ? Just dig up one of the early 20c pilots who said "M'aidez" and ask them what they meant.

Since he was a radop at a London airport, and the announcement - including "m'aidez" - appears in the London Times of that day in 1923, I'm going with that, rather than your take, 4 years and half a world away.

Last edited:
  • #3,367
hmmm27 said:
Since he was a radop at a London airport, and the announcement - including "m'aidez" - appears in the London Times of that day in 1923, I'm going with that, rather than your take, 4 years and half a world away.
This is getting ridiculous. M'aider is indistinguishable from m'aidez by only listening. And I bet people would say aidez-moi rather than m'aidez.

Likes etotheipi
  • #3,368
fresh_42 said:
This is getting ridiculous. M'aider is indistinguishable from m'aidez by only listening. And I bet people would say aidez-moi rather than m'aidez.
The actual answer is " A French phrase that an English-speaking radio-operator heard, and decided would be the callsign for "declaring an emergency".

• #3,369
We both have only secondary sources, hence this entire discussion may help people to remember the case, but that's it. It simply makes no sense as we cannot decide it. Wikipedia isn't a help either:
... and this either as a jussive infinitive M’aider, possibly shortened from Venez m’aider! 'Come help me!' or as an imperative M’aidez! 'Help me!'

• #3,370
True, and my French classes (which I wasn't any good at) is half a century old, and the phrase stems from a century ago.

• #3,371
TIL how little I knew about the "dark side" of mathematics. I thought that cranks were some tiny minority ..

..but there is vixra.org (arXiv backwards). Found this among other things. The reference "list" just blew my mind.

About the site:
ViXra.org is an e-print archive set up as an alternative to the popular arXiv.org service owned by Cornell University. It has been founded by scientists who find they are unable to submit their articles to arXiv.org because of Cornell University's policy of endorsements and moderation designed to filter out e-prints that they consider inappropriate. ViXra.org has no association with arXiv.org or Cornell.
ViXra is an open repository for new scientific articles. It does not endorse e-prints accepted on its website, neither does it review them against criteria such as correctness or author's credentials.
neither does it review them against criteria such as correctness
Yikes! :nb)

• Wow
Likes etotheipi
  • #3,372
nuuskur said:
TIL I learned how little I knew about the "dark side" of mathematics. I thought that cranks were some tiny minority ..
Seems it grows all the time. For centuries we were stuck with cube doublers, trisectionists and circle squarers. Then the Fermats joined the gang. Meanwhile we even have even ERHs and Collatzes.

Likes atyy
  • #3,373
fresh_42 said:
Seems it grows all the time. For centuries we were stuck with cube doublers, trisectionists and circle squarers. Then the Fermats joined the gang. Meanwhile we even have even ERHs and Collatzes.
Do you get emails from cranks who ask of you to review their "work" or how they have come to a revolutionary new result or some such?

• #3,374
nuuskur said:
Do you get emails from cranks who ask of you to review their "work" or how they have come to a revolutionary new result or some such?
Universities get such emails or entire papers. The flaws are not always so easy to identify as in the case above (2 pages is impossible), but alway a waste of time trying. I remember that we had someone here on PF who claimed that he solved ERH by methods from physics. I could imagine that physical insights can be gained through mathematical observations, but not the other way around.

• #3,375
fresh_42 said:
Universities get such emails or entire papers.
Journals also get these papers. ViXra.org probably saves journals a lot of time and aggravation.

My 1D inverse scattering idea was first rejected as impossible. I had to totally rewrite it to appear less crackpotty. :doh:

• #3,376
fresh_42 said:
Universities get such emails or entire papers. The flaws are not always so easy to identify as in the case above (2 pages is impossible), but alway a waste of time trying. I remember that we had someone here on PF who claimed that he solved ERH by methods from physics. I could imagine that physical insights can be gained through mathematical observations, but not the other way around.
Physicists have developed mathematical tools for physics that were later used in mathematics. It's not impossible to "use methods from physics" in mathematics, if these methods are mathematical in nature.

• #3,377
mfb said:
Physicists have developed mathematical tools for physics that were later used in mathematics. It's not impossible to "use methods from physics" in mathematics, if these methods are mathematical in nature.
IIRC it was a stochastic argument. It is not as if we had no statistical evidence for the ERH. I doubt that there will ever emerge new analysis from physics. This is definitely a realm where it goes the other way around: physical needs drove the development of analysis.

• #3,378
nuuskur said:
64f88830b67c01381746005056a9545d.jpg

Looks Good on Paper by Dan Collins for September 06, 2020

• Haha
Likes Buzz Bloom, Borg and nuuskur
  • #3,380
Sometimes the hazardous waste gets reelected, that could be considered recycling.

I'll keep it without specific example on purpose here.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Evo, nuuskur, Tom.G and 2 others
  • #3,381
mfb said:
... that could be considered recycling.
No. Refilling a bottle is not recycling.

• #3,382
TIL: the horns of the Moon always point to the South pole and can be using for wayfinding.

More specifically, during any phase of the Moon where you can discern the poles*, they will form a line that can be drawn to the South Pole - which, here at 45 degrees N Lat. - is 45 degrees below the horizon.

*which means it also works during the day

So, if you're lost (and can't make out any good stars) but the Moon is up and cooperating, it can be used as a compass to find due South. It doesn't point to the horizon; it points to the pole, which is below the horizon*. You then draw a vertical line up from there to find due south.

*By the same amount as your latitude.

1599773328669.png

• Skeptical
Likes Lnewqban and nuuskur
  • #3,383
How does that work with Earth's 23 degree axial tilt? Consider a situation where the Moon crosses Earth's orbital plane while being 50% illuminated. Its pointing will create a plane that misses the South Pole by 23 degrees.

• #3,384
Well, now I"m lost in the forest and dying of hunger. Thanks a lot.

• Haha
Likes hmmm27 and Tom.G
  • #3,385
A couple of things come to mind:
"Good enough for a Government job."
ANY approximation is better than a 'Stab in the dark'.

Likes Evo
  • #3,386
[Deleted by author due to possible errors.]

Last edited:
  • #3,387
TIL from the NFL TV announcers that not testing negative for COVID-19 it a great thing.

Announcer: "Over 5000 player tests were done this last week, and NOT ONE tested negative!"

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes atyy, diogenesNY, mfb and 2 others
  • #3,388
berkeman said:
TIL from the NFL TV announcers that not testing negative for COVID-19 it a great thing.

Announcer: "Over 5000 player tests were done this last week, and NOT ONE tested negative!"
What have you been watching? Your team didn't kick off, yet.

• #3,389
I think it was either in the very-early-pregame for the SF 49ers (start time 1:30PM PDT) or the pre-game for the (now) Las Vegas Raiders (start time was 10:00AM PDT).

• #3,390
berkeman said:
I think it was either in the very-early-pregame for the SF 49ers (start time 1:30PM PDT) or the pre-game for the (now) Las Vegas Raiders (start time was 10:00AM PDT).
They aired the Patriots and now the Saints over here.

• #3,391
fresh_42 said:
As long as nobody manages to ask Mockford, [...]
Hmm. The only Mockford I know is one "Brendan Mockford", a tall blonde handsome athletic guy 1 year ahead of me in high school. Girls tended to wet their panties if he spoke to them, but I found him thick as a brick. Not sure why anyone would ask him anything, except whether this or that girl was a "go'er".

Ah, high school. Lest we forget.

If only I could. :blushing:

• Haha
Likes Evo and Astronuc
  • #3,392
Oops. I was distracted by the Mockford memory. Anyway,...

TIL,... the meaning of Ugga Dugga (thank you @jack action).

At last I understand the meaning of certain control squiggles on my impact screw driver: 1 ugga dugga for cedar (rubbish), 2 ugga duggas is usually sufficient for interior work with soft-ish wood. 3 ugga duggas for typical hardwood work outside. 4 ugga duggas if you're trying to drive a 14g batten screw into 100-yr-old recycled eucalypt (even with a pilot hole).

For your typical physics crackpot: even 100 ugga duggas would not suffice. :headbang:

Likes Evo, jack action, Tom.G and 1 other person
  • #3,393
Missing_Square_Animation.gif

Likes atyy, Swamp Thing, Lnewqban and 1 other person
  • #3,395
Ibix said:
Today you learned that ##8/3\neq 5/2##?

Bingo, that's the key to it 😜

1600524769140.png

Likes Keith_McClary