Tokamak Transformer Properties

In summary: So, in summary, the transformer in a magnetic confinement device such as ITER can only provide a limited number of volts-seconds of operation before it needs to be recharged. This interruption is caused by the device running out of excitation current or permeability.
teroenza
Hello all,
I am a layman who is interested in nuclear fusion via magnetic confinement (the Tokamak setup). I recently read in a book about how the (a) transformer in the device could operate only for some number of "volt-seconds" before it had to be "recharged". This requires an additional outside source to keep the plasma temp. up in the meantime. I have never heard of this property of transformers. Is this something unique to this type of device, or a fundamental concept I missed?

Thank you

Google books page link, the specific text is on page 128

http://books.google.com/books?id=pPqq7EvBDZkC&lpg=PA154&dq=plasma%20physics%20Eliezer&pg=PA128#v=onepage&q=transformer&f=false

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the usual Faraday induction law the voltage on the secondary is:

V = - A·dB/dt (volts)

where V is the output voltage (per turn), A is the coil area, and dB/dt is the rate of change of the primary magnetic field. Rewriting this and integrating, we get

∫V·dt = - A·∫dB , or

V·Δt = - A·ΔB (volt seconds).

The volt-seconds limit is when the ΔB reaches the maximum due to current limit, or the iron saturates. This is why sometimes 60-Hz transformers will not work properly on 50-Hz power.

Bob S

Thank you for your reply. So the saturation of the iron must be dealt with somehow, and this would cause the mentioned interruption?

teroenza said:
Thank you for your reply. So the saturation of the iron must be dealt with somehow, and this would cause the mentioned interruption?
To maintain a constant poloidal voltage per turn, or poloidal electric field, you need a constant dB/dt (constantly increasing B), which means a constantly increasing excitation current. Running out of excitation current or out of iron relative permeability μ will cause the volt-seconds accumulation to stop. ITER needs over ~200 (~270?) volt seconds.

Bob S

And when the volt-second accumulation stops, this interrupts the operation of the transformer long enough to require the additional input to retain temperature and confinement? Also, you speak of ITER "needing" 200-270 volt-seconds. Do you mean that its transformer is "good for" or can sustain the conditions for that period of time before needing to be "recharged"? Finally, I know this is more complicated than I currently understand, but if an excitation current is needed for the poloidal field, why is a transformer necessary for that current (as opposed to directly energizing those coils).

Thank you

The idea for the poloidal electric field (volt-seconds) is the basic concept for the betatron accelerator. In the betatron, a constantly changing magnetic field f produces an azimuthal electric field. The same magnet in the betatron produces a vertical magnetic field to force the electrons into a circular orbit. So there are two separate functions of the magnetic field in a betatron: 1) the magnetic field forces the charged particles into a circular orbit, and 2) a changing magnetic field produces an azimuthal electric field to accelerate the charged particles. This latter effect is limited by volt-seconds. Read about betatrons by downloading the book "Principles of Particle Accelerators" (free) at

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...-cSxBA&usg=AFQjCNG_R_1TVNZD-9KTusPR3vJO_T9_eA.

and reading about betatrons in Chapter 11. Now, after reviewing the equations for the betatron accelerator, apply them to ITER.

Bob S

Thank you for your reply, and also for the download site. The book I linked to did not go deep enough for me to explore the topic further, the book you provided seems to do the trick.

1. What is a Tokamak Transformer?

A Tokamak Transformer is a type of transformer used in fusion reactors, specifically in the Tokamak design. It is responsible for supplying high-voltage power to the plasma within the reactor.

2. What are the key properties of a Tokamak Transformer?

The key properties of a Tokamak Transformer include high voltage and current capacity, high efficiency, and the ability to handle rapid changes in load.

3. How is the efficiency of a Tokamak Transformer measured?

The efficiency of a Tokamak Transformer is typically measured by the ratio of output power to input power. This can be affected by factors such as the core material, winding design, and cooling system.

4. What materials are commonly used in Tokamak Transformers?

The most commonly used materials in Tokamak Transformers are copper and iron. Copper is used for the windings due to its high electrical conductivity, while iron is used for the core due to its magnetic properties.

5. How are rapid changes in load handled by Tokamak Transformers?

Tokamak Transformers are designed to handle rapid changes in load by using various techniques such as tap-changing and load-tap-changing. These allow for adjustments to the transformer's voltage and current output in response to changes in the reactor's plasma conditions.