Tonight's full moon and lunar eclipse

In summary, a full moon and lunar eclipse will occur tonight, visible early in the morning in the US and not visible in most of Europe. The beginning and end of totality are marked by U2 and U3, respectively, with regions shaded lighter than the "U2" line seeing the full totality and regions between U2 and U3 seeing parts of it. A partial eclipse can be seen between U1 and U2 (or U3 and U4). A handy website is available to track the eclipse in different locations and a table shows how far above the horizon the moon will be during different parts of the eclipse. Some individuals were able to see the eclipse, while others were hindered by cloudy skies.
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hello,
I don't see any other post about tonight's full moon and lunar eclipse, so I thought I would mention it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Visibility map from Wikipedia. The main article has the times as well. In the US the eclipse is visible very early in the morning, in most of Europe it is not visible.

U2 and U3 are the beginning and end of totality, respectively. If you live in a region shaded lighter than the "U2" line, you can see the full totality, between U2 and U3 you can see parts of it (before sunrise in the US, after sunset in Asia). Between U1 and U2 (or U3 and U4) you can see a partial eclipse only.

680px-Visibility_Lunar_Eclipse_2018-01-31.png

Attachments

• 680px-Visibility_Lunar_Eclipse_2018-01-31.png
    680px-Visibility_Lunar_Eclipse_2018-01-31.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,034
Likes Charles Link
mfb said:
Visibility map from Wikipedia. The main article has the times as well. In the US the eclipse is visible very early in the morning, in most of Europe it is not visible.

U2 and U3 are the beginning and end of totality, respectively. If you live in a region shaded lighter than the "U2" line, you can see the full totality, between U2 and U3 you can see parts of it (before sunrise in the US, after sunset in Asia). Between U1 and U2 (or U3 and U4) you can see a partial eclipse only.

View attachment 219406
I'm being a bit picky but Portugal, Spain, France, Iceland, the UK, Ireland, Italy and western Germany is far from most of Europe. I would generally not be this picky (nowhere in Europe or North America is any good this time) but I'm a bit annoyed that my location in Sweden won't have a proper night time lunar eclipse (observable blood moon) until 2028 or so.

In Chicago we have some clouds, but I did see the full moon about 1/2 hour ago. The lunar eclipse is supposed to occur just before moonset and sunrise here in Chicago from around 5 A.M. to 7 A.M. If I am awake and it is not too cloudy, I hope to get a look at it.

Charles Link said:
In Chicago we have some clouds, but I did see the full moon about 1/2 hour ago. The lunar eclipse is supposed to occur just before moonset and sunrise here in Chicago from around 5 A.M. to 7 A.M. If I am awake and it is not too cloudy, I hope to get a look at it.
This is a very handy website that someone pointed out this morning:

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2018-january-31#

You can enter your local metro area and click on the "See animation of how it will look" link.

2018.01.31.lunar.eclipse.chicago.IL.png

This yields a table of how far above the horizon the moon will be during different parts of the eclipse.

2018.01.31.lunar.eclipse.chicago.IL.details.png

You might want to be at the top of the Sears Tower, or whatever they call it nowadays.

Attachments

• 2018.01.31.lunar.eclipse.chicago.IL.png
    2018.01.31.lunar.eclipse.chicago.IL.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 548
  • 2018.01.31.lunar.eclipse.chicago.IL.details.png
    2018.01.31.lunar.eclipse.chicago.IL.details.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 567
glappkaeft said:
I'm being a bit picky but Portugal, Spain, France, Iceland, the UK, Ireland, Italy and western Germany is far from most of Europe. I would generally not be this picky (nowhere in Europe or North America is any good this time) but I'm a bit annoyed that my location in Sweden won't have a proper night time lunar eclipse (observable blood moon) until 2028 or so.
Between the P4 and U4 lines you won't see anything special. The full moon still gets sunlight, just a bit less than usual. The large majority of Europeans live south/west of the U4 line. The really interesting part happens to the east of the U3 line, only a very small fraction of Europe is there, and that fraction has a low population density as well.

I just watched it from 6:15 A.M to 6:40 A.M. in Chicago looking out my front window. Visibility was reasonably good with some clouds and haze. The moon, which was previously full, went from about 50% to less than 5% illuminated during that time. Clouds and haze on the horizon has made it so that the completely eclipsed moon is not visible from my location. In any case, I'm very glad that I got up early to watch it.

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
After an uncharacteristically clear evening, it clouded up around 1 am here in Oregon.

OmCheeto said:
After an uncharacteristically clear evening, it clouded up around 1 am here in Oregon.
I guess I had much more luck than most then. (see post 7). It seems 1/2 of the people are in Europe, and some of the others had a lot of clouds. And the timing for me was quite good. Today Chicago (my location) has heavy cloud cover.

Likes OmCheeto
Oh shoot, I was awake when it was happening, but forgot to look outside, but the forecast was for cloudy skies.

Likes OmCheeto and Charles Link
was total cloud here in Sydney, Australia

no pix to share :frown:

that's now 4 total eclipses in a row I have missed due to weather
seriously unimpressed

Dave

1. What is a lunar eclipse?

A lunar eclipse occurs when the moon passes through the Earth's shadow, causing it to appear dark and sometimes taking on a reddish hue.

2. Why is tonight's full moon also considered a lunar eclipse?

Tonight's full moon is also considered a lunar eclipse because it will pass through the Earth's shadow, causing a partial lunar eclipse to occur.

3. What time will the lunar eclipse be visible?

The lunar eclipse will be visible during the evening and early morning hours, depending on your location. It is best to check a lunar eclipse chart or local weather forecast for the exact time in your area.

4. How often do lunar eclipses occur?

Lunar eclipses occur about twice a year, but they are not always visible from every location on Earth.

5. Is it safe to look directly at a lunar eclipse?

Yes, it is safe to look directly at a lunar eclipse. Unlike solar eclipses, lunar eclipses are safe to view with the naked eye. However, it is always recommended to use caution and proper eye protection when viewing any celestial event.