Delta-v from Lagrange points to lunar surface?

In summary, the conversation discusses the delta-v requirements from Earth-Moon lagrange points to landing on the lunar surface and the best software for visualizing and calculating this data. The individual has found delta-v maps but none of them include lagrange points and is unsure how to calculate it. They mention the possibility of using Kerbal, but later find out that it does not model for lagrange points unless a specific mod is added. The conversation also mentions the "Atomic Rockets" resource for accurate scientific information and suggests searching for "Delta-v from Lagrange points to lunar surface?" for more information.
Treva31
TL;DR Summary
What is the delta-v requirements from each of the Earth-Moon lagrange points to landing on the lunar surface?
What is the delta-v requirements from each of the Earth-Moon lagrange points to landing on the lunar surface?

What would be the best software I could use to visualise and calculate that kind of thing?

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What research have you done on this so far? What have you found?

I have found delta-v maps but none of them include Lagrange points.
I have no idea how to calculate it. Any calculations I see are for orbits, which a lagrange point is not an orbit right?
I'm not sure if (or which) simulators include lagrange points either.
I will try Kerbal I guess..

I am happy to work it out I just don't know where to start.

Ah Kerbal doesn't model for Lagrange points :frown:

Treva31 said:
I have found delta-v maps but none of them include Lagrange points.
I have no idea how to calculate it. Any calculations I see are for orbits, which a lagrange point is not an orbit right?
If I put your subject line "Delta-v from Lagrange points to lunar surface?" into google I get this which has many delta-v maps that includes Lagrange points.

You might see "projectrho" popping up a lot in that search, that is the "Atomic Rockets" resource for SciFi writers and game designers who wants to get the science right. There is a ton of good stuff in there, for instance the collection of delta-v maps for mission planning.

Treva31 said:
Ah Kerbal doesn't model for Lagrange points :frown:
It does if you add the Principia mod.

• Informative
Likes Treva31, phinds and berkeman
Ah cool thanks!

Likes berkeman

1. What is Delta-v and why is it important for space travel?

Delta-v, or change in velocity, is the amount of thrust required to move from one point in space to another. It is important for space travel because it determines the amount of fuel and energy needed for a spacecraft to reach its destination.

2. How is Delta-v calculated from Lagrange points to the lunar surface?

The Delta-v from Lagrange points to the lunar surface can be calculated using the rocket equation, which takes into account the mass of the spacecraft, the specific impulse of the engine, and the gravitational pull of the Earth and Moon. This calculation can also be affected by factors such as atmospheric drag and gravitational assists from other celestial bodies.

3. What are the main challenges of achieving Delta-v from Lagrange points to the lunar surface?

The main challenges of achieving Delta-v from Lagrange points to the lunar surface include the precision and accuracy of the spacecraft's trajectory, the limited amount of fuel and energy available, and the potential for unexpected obstacles or disturbances in space.

4. How does Delta-v from Lagrange points to the lunar surface differ from other space travel maneuvers?

Delta-v from Lagrange points to the lunar surface differs from other space travel maneuvers in terms of the amount of energy and fuel required, the specific trajectory and timing needed, and the potential for using gravitational assists from other celestial bodies.

5. What are some potential future developments that could make Delta-v from Lagrange points to the lunar surface more efficient?

Potential future developments that could make Delta-v from Lagrange points to the lunar surface more efficient include advancements in propulsion technology, such as ion or nuclear engines, and the use of in-space refueling to reduce the amount of fuel needed for the journey.