1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Top 10 unis in the Uk for physics?

1. Dec 19, 2007 #1
    Ok I know this will be diffrrent for many different people but what in "your" (if you have a clue what you are talking about) are the top 10 schools for physics in the UK?

P.S. by this i am referring to prestige and not on their "value added" rubbish which league tables take into account!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With no evidence to back it up and likely to cause trouble but:
    Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Durham, QMW,Manchester,

4. Dec 19, 2007 #3
    Cool thanks. But thats only 6! Plus wouldnt you put Oxford in the top 10? Also what is QMW? And thinking about it dosnt york deserve a place?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  5. Dec 19, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

QMW is queen mary college London. Used to be called QMC in my day then merged with/absorbed a lot of other colleges - probably called QMWERTYUIOP now .
    Never been to the physics dept at York - the university is nice though.

6. Dec 20, 2007 #5

J77

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  7. Dec 21, 2007 #6
    Really, it depends on the type of Physics you want to do... but then I would never choose a university on prestige alone. I would pick it on 'does it feel right and would I enjoy it there' ;)

8. Jan 2, 2008 #7
    iv done Physics at Uk universities and have had interview at these top universties..

1. OXFORD
    2. IMPERIAL
    3. UCL
    4. CAMBBRIDGE (only therotical physics..more like maths)
    5. BRISTOL
    6. WARWICK
    7. YORK

QMW is a crap uni.....u dont need 10....these are suffcient..if u want 10 ..go to the league tables analyze them yourself..and go to each of the indivudual uni...its not only about the course end of the day...u have to see if you would like the environment..would you like more open space like BRUNEL, BRISTOL..oxford
    or u want it cramped like this city centre of London,...like Kings etc..its upto i can only give my advice..

9. Jan 2, 2008 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For an undergrad the RAE rankings or citation scores don't really mean a lot.
    What matters -
    1, Is the course about to be closed, how many staff/students do they have ?
    2, Will a future employer have heard of the Uni?
    3, Is it somewhere you want to live - centre of london or a leafy campus?
    4, Where will you live, how expensive, will you ever meet anyone not on your course?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?