Top Biology Journals: 65 Characters

In summary, the conversation discusses various journals in the field of biology and their specialties. The speaker mentions the Phys. Rev. series in physics and asks if there is an equivalent in biology. Another speaker responds saying that there are many journals in biology, including Nature and Science, which are multi-disciplinary. Specific journals for different areas of biology are also mentioned, such as the British Journal of Pharmacology for pharmacology and Matrix Biology for the extracellular matrix. The conversation ends with a suggestion to read the American Anthropological Association and the Journal of Forensic Sciences for those interested in anthropology.
J77
Hello Bio people,

Could I ask a quick question...

Physics has the Phys. Rev. series, is there an equivalent in Biology?

Biology news on Phys.org
Nature is great.

arildno said:
Nature is great.
Yes it is :smile:

...but Nature and Science are a bit special - not your everyday journals like PRX.

shoot what's the online site medlibrary?
can't remember. But like arxiv there is one online.
As for actual journals, i don't think there is just one i think there are tons. Granted most that i had to look in were neuroscience(and psychology) ones.
The two i remmeber the most were Journal of Neurosci. And Cerebellem or Cerebral

See this link:http://www.sciencewatch.com/jan-feb2005/sw_jan-feb2005_page1.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
It really depends on what discipline of biology you are interested in. Nature and Science are great, and cover some very interesting research, but they are quite multi-disciplinary.
For example, for all things pharmacology the British Journal of Pharmacology (pubslihed by Nature group) is very good. For all things regarding the extracellular matrix Matrix Biology is very good. And so on.

Rade said:
See this link:http://www.sciencewatch.com/jan-feb2005/sw_jan-feb2005_page1.htm
That's great as a general overview :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
If your interests include anthropology the American Anthropological Association makes a great read
http://www.aaanet.org/
I also subscribe to the Journal of Forensic Sciences.

Related to Top Biology Journals: 65 Characters

1. What are the top biology journals with 65 characters or less in their titles?

The top biology journals with 65 characters or less in their titles are Nature, Science, Cell, Journal of Experimental Biology, and Molecular Biology and Evolution.

2. Why is it important to have a character limit in journal titles?

A character limit in journal titles ensures that titles are concise and to-the-point, making them easier to read and understand. It also allows for consistency and uniformity among journal titles.

3. How are the top biology journals with 65 characters selected?

The top biology journals with 65 characters are selected based on their impact factor, which is a measure of how often articles in a particular journal are cited by other publications. These journals also have a high reputation and readership within the scientific community.

4. Can a journal change its title to be included in the top biology journals with 65 characters?

Yes, a journal can change its title to be included in the top biology journals with 65 characters. However, this may affect its impact factor and readership, as it may take time for the new title to gain recognition and establish its reputation.

5. Are there any other criteria besides character limit that determine a journal's ranking as a top biology journal?

Yes, there are other criteria that can determine a journal's ranking as a top biology journal, such as the quality and impact of the articles published, the reputation and expertise of the editorial board, and the overall prestige of the journal within the scientific community.