Top Physics Grad Program Rankings- according to students

In summary, the conversation discusses a ranking of top physics schools based on student reviews. The rankings are biased towards larger departments, but personal fit and satisfaction are important factors to consider when choosing a school. Some schools, like MIT, may not participate in these rankings due to their focus and the type of students they attract.
jgrossman
I came across these rankings for Top Physics Schools according to student reviews. Interesting!

(link deleted)

1 University of California-Santa Barbara 9.467
2 Brandeis University 9.133
3 University of Pennsylvania 9.100
4 Syracuse University 9.056
5 University of California-Los Angeles 9.050
6 Yale University 8.917
7 Cornell University 8.733
8 University of California, Davis 8.683
9 Columbia University, NY 8.667
10 Carnegie Mellon University 8.610
11 The University of Chicago 8.570
12 Boston University 8.422
13 Vanderbilt University 8.400
14 University of California-Berkeley 8.155
15 University of Virginia 8.133
16 University of Minnesota Twin Cities 8.000
17 Baylor University 7.978
18 Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) 7.767
19 Worcester Polytechnic Institute 7.733
20 University of Michigan-Ann Arbor 7.727
21 Washington University in St. Louis 7.700
22 University of Kansas 7.600
23 Stony Brook University, SUNY 7.578
24 Purdue University-West Lafayette 7.567
25 University of Arizona 7.533

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kinda useful I guess, but I don't really understand why anybody should care.

Arsenic&Lace said:
Kinda useful I guess, but I don't really understand why anybody should care.

Because the ranking is based on the level of happiness of the students in the program not the stats of the students before they step foot on campus. How happy you will be at a place is a useful consideration

Good to see I'm headed to one of the good ones. :)

jesse73 said:
Because the ranking is based on the level of happiness of the students in the program not the stats of the students before they step foot on campus. How happy you will be at a place is a useful consideration

I think a better way to find out about this is to talk to their grad students during the visit behind closed doors. That's when the honesty really kicks in, IME (after visiting 3 schools).

The rankings seem heavily biased in favor of very large physics departments, are the number of students responding to these queries taken into account? Where are the smaller departments? The ones I visited were mostly very happy with their experience, the only "bad" things I heard were due to personal reasons and not the school/faculty's shortcomings.

no mit?

462chevelle said:
no mit?

They're too focused to respond to an indirectly solicited survey. ;)

I think there are certain places that are best for a certain type of personality. MIT might be an example, and I heard Harvard is too among others. If you are very independent, self motivated, and assertive you will do very well. However if you need more guidance these are probably not the best places which is why some of the students feel isolated or unhappy.

1. What criteria are used to rank top physics graduate programs?

The criteria used to rank top physics graduate programs typically include factors such as research opportunities, faculty expertise, student satisfaction, funding opportunities, and job placement rates. Other factors may also be considered, such as program prestige and the number of publications and citations from faculty and students.

2. How are the rankings determined?

The rankings are determined through a combination of data analysis and student surveys. Data is collected from various sources, including program websites, faculty profiles, and student outcomes. Student surveys are also used to gather feedback on their experiences and perceptions of the program.

3. Do these rankings change from year to year?

Yes, the rankings can change from year to year as programs may improve or decline in certain areas. New programs may also enter the rankings, while others may drop out. It is important to note that rankings should not be the sole factor in choosing a graduate program, as individual fit and goals should also be considered.

4. Are these rankings reliable?

The reliability of these rankings can vary. It is important to consider the methodology used and the sources of data. Also, keep in mind that rankings are subjective and may not necessarily reflect the experience of every student in a particular program. It is always a good idea to research the program yourself and talk to current or former students to get a better understanding of their experiences.

5. How should I use these rankings in my decision-making process?

These rankings can be a helpful starting point in researching and comparing different graduate programs in physics. However, they should not be the only factor in your decision-making process. It is important to consider your own goals and priorities, as well as factors such as program fit, location, and funding opportunities. Ultimately, it is best to choose a program that aligns with your personal and professional goals.

Back