Top Recommended Machine Design Books for Mechanical Engineering Students

• Thread starter McEngStudent
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's search for a book on machine elements and the recommendation of three books by their teacher. The student asks for feedback on the books and receives positive reviews for Shigley's book. In the end, the student decides to purchase Shigley's book.
McEngStudent
Hello, engineers!

I'm a Mechancial Engineer student currently in my 2nd year. We started a course called "Machine Elements" (or "Machine Design") after Christmas this year, and I'd really like to purchase a book about the subject. But here's my dilemma:

Since I'm only a student, I cannot afford to purchase all the books I'd like to purchase. So I need to narrow my choises down to one book per subject. However, in this particular subject our teacher recommended three books:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0131976443/?tag=pfamazon01-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0131384384/?tag=pfamazon01-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0071268960/?tag=pfamazon01-20

(I hope that worked)

I would really apprieciate any feedback concerning these three books. And especially if anyone has actually used them in real enigneering design.

Thank you all in advance :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll find that people who own whichever book will plug what they have. To follow this.
Shigley is a damn fine book.edit: Plus it's cheapest by nearly a tenner.

+1 vote for Shigley's text.

I used Shigley's in my machine components class last term. It's a really good book and it covers A LOT of material so definitely hold on to it.

Thank you all for your reply. I will order Shigley's book in the near future :)

1. What is Mott's theory?

Mott's theory, also known as the Mott's law, is a theory proposed by Sir Nevill Francis Mott in 1929 to explain the electrical conductivity of insulating materials. It states that the electrical conductivity of an insulating material will decrease as the temperature is lowered, and eventually reach zero at absolute zero temperature.

2. Who is Norton and what is his contribution to science?

William A. Norton was an American physicist and engineer who is best known for his research on the flow of electrons in semiconductors. He is credited with developing the Norton equivalent circuit, which is a simplified model for analyzing the behavior of complex electrical circuits.

3. What is Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design?

Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design is a textbook written by Joseph Edward Shigley and Charles R. Mischke that is widely used in engineering curricula to teach mechanical design principles. It covers topics such as stress analysis, fatigue, materials, and safety factors.

4. How do Mott, Norton, and Shigley relate to each other?

Mott, Norton, and Shigley are all scientists and engineers who have made significant contributions to the field of materials science and mechanical engineering. Mott's theory explains the electrical conductivity of insulating materials, Norton developed a simplified model for analyzing electrical circuits, and Shigley's textbook is a widely-used resource for teaching mechanical design principles.

5. What impact have Mott, Norton, and Shigley had on the field of science?

Mott, Norton, and Shigley have all had a significant impact on the field of science. Mott's theory has been applied to understand the electrical properties of materials, Norton's equivalent circuit has been widely used in circuit analysis, and Shigley's textbook has educated and influenced generations of engineers. Their contributions have advanced our understanding of materials and mechanical systems, and have paved the way for further scientific discoveries and technological advancements.