Topics in Mechanical Engineering

In summary: Most CAD software has trial versions to test drive. If you want something cheap, turbo CAD isn't bad. AutoCAD is very popular and has student versions or discounts (w/o discount, $1200 for Lite version). Other professional CAD is similarly priced or higher.
Danielle Agamon
Hi! I'm currently in senior high and I'm planning to take Mechanical Engineering for my college.I want to make advance research this incoming vacation about the different things or should I call "topics" about mechanical engineering where would I start? thank you :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to get a job as an intern or lackey at a local engineering firm in your area. Do whatever you can to get aboard. If that doesn't work, try to get work with an HVAC company for the summer.

As for extra study material. Look for a Calc or precalc math solutions book and work some problems. Keep yourself sharp. Perhaps get a low cost textbook on Material science. Then solve some of the simpler problems in that text. You will get a big head start on many of the concepts, just doing these fairly easy and straight forward things.

Thank you :)

CalcNerd said:
As for extra study material. Look for a Calc or precalc math solutions book and work some problems. Keep yourself sharp. Perhaps get a low cost textbook on Material science. Then solve some of the simpler problems in that text. You will get a big head start on many of the concepts, just doing these fairly easy and straight forward things.
What about the drafting or sketching? Do you have some materials? That I can lean on to? thank you

Drafting or sketching? That kind of depends upon which field of ME you choose. And which ever way you do choose, the software will likely undergo 2-3 revisions before you actually hit the streets (unless you find a way to intern). Most CAD software is not cheap, although some offer student versions with big discounts (and your school or class may have some way to obtain at steep discount, some textbooks have 3-6 month versions). Suggest you wait and see what your school recommends, unless you want a cheap version to play with.

Most CAD software has trial versions to test drive. If you want something cheap, turbo CAD isn't bad. AutoCAD is very popular and has student versions or discounts (w/o discount, $1200 for Lite version). Other professional CAD is similarly priced or higher.

Likes Danielle Agamon
Thank you :)

1. What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems. This can include everything from machines and engines to thermal and fluid systems.

2. What are some common topics in mechanical engineering?

Some common topics in mechanical engineering include mechanics, thermodynamics, materials science, kinematics, and fluid dynamics. Other areas of focus may include robotics, manufacturing processes, and design principles.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineers should have strong problem-solving skills, a solid understanding of math and science, and a creative and analytical mindset. They should also possess technical proficiency in various software and design programs.

4. What type of work can a mechanical engineer do?

Mechanical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, energy, and manufacturing. They can also work in research and development, consulting, and government agencies.

5. How can I become a mechanical engineer?

To become a mechanical engineer, you typically need to earn a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Some positions may require a master's degree as well. It is also important to gain hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs and obtain licensure if working in certain industries.