1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topics in Mechanical Engineering

1. Mar 11, 2015 #1
    Hi! I'm currently in senior high and I'm planning to take Mechanical Engineering for my college.I want to make advance research this incoming vacation about the different things or should I call "topics" about mechanical engineering where would I start? thank you :D

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2015 #2

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Try to get a job as an intern or lackey at a local engineering firm in your area. Do whatever you can to get aboard. If that doesn't work, try to get work with an HVAC company for the summer.

As for extra study material. Look for a Calc or precalc math solutions book and work some problems. Keep yourself sharp. Perhaps get a low cost text book on Material science. Then solve some of the simpler problems in that text. You will get a big head start on many of the concepts, just doing these fairly easy and straight forward things.

4. Mar 13, 2015 #3
    Thank you :)

5. Mar 16, 2015 #4
    What about the drafting or sketching? Do you have some materials? That I can lean on to? thank you

6. Mar 16, 2015 #5

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Drafting or sketching? That kind of depends upon which field of ME you choose. And which ever way you do choose, the software will likely undergo 2-3 revisions before you actually hit the streets (unless you find a way to intern). Most CAD software is not cheap, although some offer student versions with big discounts (and your school or class may have some way to obtain at steep discount, some textbooks have 3-6 month versions). Suggest you wait and see what your school recommends, unless you want a cheap version to play with.

Most CAD software has trial versions to test drive. If you want something cheap, turbo CAD isn't bad. AutoCAD is very popular and has student versions or discounts (w/o discount, $1200 for Lite version). Other professional CAD is similarly priced or higher.

7. Mar 27, 2015 #6
    Thank you :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook