Tornado Outlook for Saturday: 60% Probability in Eastern Nebraska

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tornado
In summary, there is an increased risk of tornadoes in certain areas of the country and there is a lack of shelters and basements for people to take cover in. There is also a discussion about the likelihood of dying in a tornado and the safety standards of certain buildings. Some people are taking precautions and seeking shelter, while others are skeptical of the severity of the situation. There is also mention of the potential destruction and danger associated with tornadoes.
turbo said:
The apartment construction project that I oversaw was 10 buildings, each containing 16-32 apartments (big, by Maine standards) but they were very, very under-designed, IMO. In severe weather, those buildings could collapse like houses of cards. Stacked vertical stud walls with minimal cross-bracing and other structural problems that would make any experienced constructor cringe. City inspectors probably just took their pay-offs and looked away. Working for the prime contractor, I got more threats from sub-contractors than I had ever imagined. The more corners they could cut, the more money they could make.

That's very sad. Sorry you had to deal with that without being able to stop the construction or improve the situation in some way. Must have left you feeling like you lost so much and as long as those buildings stood they were endangering lives.

So many things are needlessly substandard and there is nothing we can do but help our friends and family when a situation presents. But when it is in our realm of possiblilties to correct something (or we think it is) and we are still unable to make a change, that is where we take a personal loss.

So much has gone into the study of meteorology and the advancement of warnings systems that I am shocked that this has not been thought through that when the storms come and the warnings are effective, the people still have no where to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lacy33 said:
That's very sad. Sorry you had to deal with that without being able to stop the construction or improve the situation in some way. Must have left you feeling like you lost so much and as long as those buildings stood they were endangering lives.
I managed to stop and reverse some sub-standard stuff, but not enough IMO. The initial designs were woefully inadequate in respect to snow-loads, flashing and waterproofing, and lots of more critical structural problems. Unfortunately, if you can't engage the local code-enforcers honestly, there is little you can do.

turbo said:
I managed to stop and reverse some sub-standard stuff, but not enough IMO. The initial designs were woefully inadequate in respect to snow-loads, flashing and waterproofing, and lots of more critical structural problems. Unfortunately, if you can't engage the local code-enforcers honestly, there is little you can do.

Thought you might say something about this. You are a tough guy, I suppose when you need to be.
At least you tried. That's all we can do. But the next time around are we wiser! Right?

We just heard a storm hit a hospital:

(CNN) -- A possible tornado struck a hospital Saturday evening in Creston, Iowa, according to a dispatcher with the Union County Sheriff's Department. A search-and-rescue operation was under way.

From working in hospitals i know evacuations are done and if the building is safe, things should be ok. With hopes.

Lacy33 said:
From working in hospitals i know evacuations are done and if the building is safe, things should be ok. With hopes.
Evacuating hospitals can be tough. You have people with special needs, including monitoring, infusions, regular medications, intravenous medicines and feedings... How do you get everybody out safely??

turbo said:
Evacuating hospitals can be tough. You have people with special needs, including monitoring, infusions, regular medications, intravenous medicines and feedings... How do you get everybody out safely??

Of course its all work. The professionals direct staff and follow procedures. I was talking about evacuating within the building for tornados in MN.

When Irene hit the east coast, (remember that, yikes) NYC evacuated entire hospitals. And it went well.

turbo said:
Let's hope all our members in the danger zone escape unscathed, and that they keep us updated (hint, hint).
~10:00 P.M.

attachment.php?attachmentid=46232&stc=1&d=1334459065.jpg

Attachments

• KS_Storm.jpg
    KS_Storm.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 504
You and Roger be safe!

It appears it was another false alarm here. They really need to stop over hyping these potential storms.

Last edited:
Evo said:
You and Roger be safe!

It appears it was another false alarm here. They really need to stop over hyping these potential storms.
:bugeye: Only when we stop losing lives over them.

DaveC426913 said:
:bugeye: Only when we stop losing lives over them.

With tons of respect to Evo who was sitting together with family in the middle of this weather event, I do think the hype was VERY much called for.
Not only was it a good practice drill for extreme weather yet to come, but I am not convienced that this extra day warning didn't save lives.

I for one appreciate the money and science invested in giving people so much time to know if we don't tuck it in and tie the family to the most solid thing in the powder room (the best we can do now) we may find our belongings in the next state.

I came to PF years ago because of vortex physics.
Didn't take me long to realize I don't have the background to study that subject, I am still thankful for the science done by people qualified. And the lives saved.

Actually the hype was false, the official weather service never even issued a tornado watch, much less a warning for our area. The weather media made the threat up, it never existed for us.

It's intentially false fear mongering like this that causes people to ignore warnings and puts people's lives at risk. Intentionally false warnings for gaining popularity and ratings should be illegal.

Evo said:
Actually the hype was false, the official weather service never even issued a tornado watch, much less a warning for our area. The weather media made the threat up, it never existed for us.
Oh.
10 chars

Evo said:

It's intentially false fear mongering like this that causes people to ignore warnings and puts people's lives at risk. Intentionally false warnings for gaining popularity and ratings should be illegal.
Thank goodness for http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=twx&product=N0R&loop=yes. If I had to depend on the Topeka TV "meteorologists", I'd be in a shelter on most stormy days. :mad:

Dlgoff, Is that Manhattan in the middle of that map? Cause I didn't think I was in Kansas any more! :tongue:

Lacy33 said:
Dlgoff, Is that Manhattan in the middle of that map? Cause I didn't think I was in Kansas any more! :tongue:

The way the wind is blowing the last couple of days, I'm not sure if I'm in Kansas any more. :uhh:

I hate tornado season. My house was almost hit last year, the tornado shifted towards a different part of the city and barely missed my house. I was elated that I didn't get hit by it, but still those who did get hit I felt sorry for.

Evo Child woke me up. The sirens are going.

I'm too tired for this.

Last edited:
That was 7 hours ago, should we be worried?

http://www.kmbc.com/news/31018742/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Andre said:
http://www.kmbc.com/news/31018742/detail.html
That one touched down, the one nearer to me didn't touch down, a blast of cold air killed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
That one touched down, the one nearer to me didn't touch down, a blast of cold air killed it.

No, smoke from the smoker killed it, good karma... :biggrin:

Rhody...

Back