Torque and Inertia of objects on Inclined plane

In summary, the two blocks moved with a coefficent of kinetic friction of .36. The tension on the string on the left side was 7.67 N and 9.22 N.
cooltee13

Homework Statement

a block with mass m1= 2 kg, and a block of mass m2 = 6kg are connected by a massless string over a pulley in the shape of a solid disk having radius R = .25m and mass M = 10 kg. These blocks are allowed to move on a fixed wedge of angle pheta = 30 degrees. the coefficent of kinetic friction is .36 for both blocks and pulley. Determine A) the acceleration of the two blocks and B) the tensions in the string on both sides of the pulley.

Homework Equations

well, I already solved part A) I just need help with part B. I used the sumTorque = Ialpha, where alpha = a/R. along with this equation below:

The Attempt at a Solution

well, i wanted to solve for a so i did the following:(note f=coefficent of friction*): -T1Rf+60cos(T2)Rf = 1/2mR^2*(a/R) ====> -T1f +60cos(T2)f = 1/2ma.

M2gf - T1f + 60cosT2f = 1/2Ma
M2gf = M1af + 60cosM2af + 1/2Ma
M2gf = a(M1f + 60cosM2f + 1/2M)
a = M2gf/(M1f + 60cosM2f + 1/2M) = .31 m/s^2

Im not sure how to solve for the Tension though, do i use the same equation??

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer for B is 7.67 N and 9.22 N.

But I want to know how they got that. Can anybody help please?

can anybody help? do I need to explain more?

A diagram would be helpful. Are both sides of the wedge at an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal?

In any case, assuming you've correctly found the acceleration, just apply Newton's 2nd law to each block separately to find the tensions.

Im not sure how to put a diagram on this forum, but If i apply Newtons second law, I don't end up with the same Tensions as the book answer.

F = ma
I come up with 6.08 N for T1

Show exactly what you did to get the tension. (Until I understand the setup better, I cannot verify your answer for the acceleration.)

how do I insert an image so i can show you the picture?

One of the icons in the post editing window is for inserting images. Or you can attach a file.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning or rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation.

2. How is torque related to an object's mass and acceleration?

Torque is directly proportional to an object's mass and acceleration. This means that the greater the mass of an object and the faster it accelerates, the greater the torque applied to it.

3. What is inertia?

Inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its state of motion. This means that an object at rest will tend to stay at rest, and an object in motion will tend to stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How does an object's inertia affect its motion on an inclined plane?

An object's inertia plays a role in determining its motion on an inclined plane. Objects with greater inertia will require more force to move up the incline, while objects with less inertia will require less force. This is because inertia resists changes in motion.

5. What factors affect an object's torque and inertia on an inclined plane?

The factors that affect an object's torque and inertia on an inclined plane include the object's mass, the angle of the incline, and the force being applied to the object. The greater the mass and angle of the incline, the greater the torque and inertia. The greater the force applied, the greater the torque, but not necessarily the inertia.