1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and Moment of Inertia of a black ring

1. Nov 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A black ring is placed concentrically on a turntable and is being pulled by a constant force of 12.5 N and the force is applied at a distance of .01m from the spindle/pulley. It's known that the ring accounts for about 8.50% of the total moment of inertia. Find moment of inertia of turntable in kg*m^2.

Note: And it's being pulled counter clockwise
    Note: I have already calculated the alpha to be: 1.28 rad/s^2 (this is from data retrieved from an experiment)

Diameter of pulley :.02m (radius= .01m)
    Diameter of turntable: .1m (radius = .05m)
    Diameter of inner ring: .05m (radius=.025m)
    Diameter of outer ring: .06m (radius= .030m)

2. Relevant equations and attempt at the problem
    torque = Radius x Force

torque (pulley): .01m x 12.5N= .125N*m
    torque (turntable): .05m x 12.5N = .625N*m
    torque (ring): (.030m x 12.5N) - (.025m x 12.5N) = .0535N*m

So Net torque= .125+.625+.0535= .8035 N*m

Total moment of Inertia = .8035N*m/ 1.28 rad/s^2= .6277 kg*m^2

And since the ring accounts for 8.5% of the total moment of inertia I would multiply (.0850)(.6277)= .05335 kg*m^2

Then subtract .05335kg*m^2 from .6277kg*m^2 would give me the moment of inertia for the turntable?

So my question for this problem is that would I need to account the torque calculated for the turntable for the net torque? Because since the pulley/spindle is attached to the turntable and is pulled by the constant force, I would think the torque would have been just the radius of the pulley/spindle multiply by the Force (so net torque would be .125+.0535= .1785N*m instead of .8035N*m). So I wasn't sure about this part and somewhat confused as well... Thanks!

I also provided a picture for reference attached to this thread and also please point out any mistakes I've made as well if there is any calculated mistakes...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have no idea what you are doing there. Yes, there's an applied torque of .125N*m on the pulley, but what are these other torques? There's not another force of 12.5N applied tangentially to the turntable, is there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted