Torque- Vector cross product using both geometric and algebraic methods

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque produced by a force applied to the end of a lever about the origin in a Cartesian coordinate system. The length of the lever is 0.5m and the applied force is (3i-5j)N. The calculation is done twice, once using the geometric definition of the cross product and once using the algebraic definition. The resulting values are -1.5Nm and -1.5k Nm respectively. The discrepancy in the calculated value may be due to a typo in the lecturer's solution.
garyd

Homework Statement

A lever is orientated along the y direction in a Cartesian coordinate system. The length of the lever is 0.5m and one end of it is at the origin of the coordinate system. A (3i-5j)N force applied to the other end of the lever. Calculate the Torque produced by the force acting on the lever about the origin. Do calculation twice, firstly using the geometric definition of the cross product and secondly using the algebraic definition of a cross product

L=(0i+0.5j+0k)m
F=(3i-5j+0k)N

Homework Equations

T=LFsin(theta)

T=L × F

The Attempt at a Solution

theta= 90+59= -149°
mag F= √(3^2+-5^2)= 5.83N
mag L= .5m
LFsin(theta)= .5*5.83*sin(-149)=T=-1.5Nm

&

(0*-5) - (.5*3) =T=-1.5k Nm

My lecturer has a solution of -2.5Nm! Help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer.

I think my lecturer must be putting the lever in the 'i' direction and using theta=-59

garyd said:
I think my lecturer must be putting the lever in the 'i' direction and using theta=-59

That's a good guess. There is some kind of typo.

Dick said:
That's a good guess. There is some kind of typo.
Thanks for your help.Much appreciated.

1. What is torque?

Torque is the measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis.

2. How is torque calculated using the vector cross product?

Torque is calculated by taking the cross product of the force vector and the displacement vector, multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.

3. What is the difference between the geometric and algebraic methods of calculating torque using vector cross product?

The geometric method involves visualizing the force and displacement vectors in a three-dimensional space and taking the cross product, while the algebraic method involves using mathematical equations to calculate the cross product.

4. How is torque affected by the direction of the force and displacement vectors?

The direction of the torque will depend on the direction of the force and displacement vectors. If they are parallel, the torque will be zero, but if they are perpendicular, the torque will be maximum.

5. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative if the direction of the force and displacement vectors are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative cross product.