Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torsion Scalar and Symmetries of Torsion Tensor

1. Jul 13, 2015 #1
    I've started f(T) theory but I have a simple question like something that i couldn't see straightforwardly.
    In Teleparallel theories one has the torsion scalar:

upload_2015-7-13_15-26-12.png
    upload_2015-7-13_15-27-27.png
    And if you take the product you should obtain
    upload_2015-7-13_15-29-31.png
    But there seems to be the terms like
    upload_2015-7-13_15-31-56.png upload_2015-7-13_15-32-16.png upload_2015-7-13_15-32-48.png .
    How does this one vanish?

because we know that Torsion tensor is not symmetric in first two indices but antisymmetric in the last two indices.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2015 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Often one is interested in torsion tensors that are totally antisymmetric. Is that the case here?

4. Jul 14, 2015 #3
    Oscillatory behavior

5. Jul 14, 2015 #4
    Nope. These are defined in terms of Wietzenböck konnections:
    upload_2015-7-14_9-59-32.png and are not totally antisymmetric.

6. Jul 14, 2015 #5

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Will you buy me strong black coffee if I do it for you? Okay, start by multiplying the two tensor
    [tex]S^{\rho\mu\nu}T_{\rho\mu\nu} = A + B , \ \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex]
    where
    [tex]A = \frac{1}{4} T^{\rho\mu\nu}T_{\rho\mu\nu} + \frac{1}{4} T^{\mu\rho\nu}T_{\rho\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{4} T^{\nu\rho\mu}T_{\rho\mu\nu} , \ \ \ \ (2)[/tex] and [tex]B = -\frac{1}{2}T_{\alpha}{}^{\mu\alpha} \ T^{\rho}{}_{\mu\rho} + \frac{1}{2}T_{\alpha}{}^{\nu\alpha} \ T^{\rho}{}_{\rho\nu} ,[/tex] or
    [tex]B = -\frac{1}{2}T_{\alpha}{}^{\mu\alpha} \ T^{\rho}{}_{\mu\rho} - \frac{1}{2}T_{\alpha}{}^{\mu\alpha} \ T^{\rho}{}_{\mu\rho} = - T_{\alpha}{}^{\mu\alpha} \ T^{\rho}{}_{\mu\rho} ,[/tex] which is the same as
    [tex]B = T_{\alpha}{}^{\mu\alpha} \ T^{\rho}{}_{\rho\mu} = T^{\alpha\mu}{}_{\alpha} \ T^{\rho}{}_{\rho\mu} . \ \ \ \ \ (3)[/tex] That is all for [itex]B[/itex]. To work on [itex]A[/itex], we start with the identity
    [tex]T^{\mu\nu}{}_{\rho} \left( T^{\rho}{}_{\nu\mu} + T^{\rho}{}_{\mu\nu} \right) = 0 .[/tex] In the first term, if we make [itex]\rho \to \nu[/itex], [itex]\mu \to \rho[/itex] and [itex]\nu \to \mu[/itex], we find
    [tex]T^{\rho\mu}{}_{\nu} \ T^{\nu}{}_{\mu\rho} + T^{\mu\nu}{}_{\rho} \ T^{\rho}{}_{\mu\nu} = 0 .[/tex] Let us rewrite this as
    [tex]T^{\rho\mu\nu} \ T_{\nu\mu\rho} + T_{\mu\nu\rho} \ T^{\rho\mu\nu} = 0 .[/tex] Using the antisymmetry in the second term, we get
    [tex]T^{\rho\mu\nu} \ T_{\nu\mu\rho} = T^{\rho\mu\nu} \ T_{\mu\rho\nu} .[/tex] Now, on the RHS we make [itex]\rho \leftrightarrow \mu[/itex] and get
    [tex]T^{\rho\mu\nu} \ T_{\nu\mu\rho} = T^{\mu\rho\nu} \ T_{\rho\mu\nu} .[/tex] Add [itex]T^{\rho\mu\nu}T_{\nu\mu\rho}[/itex] to both sides,
    [tex]T^{\rho\mu\nu} \ T_{\nu\mu\rho} = \frac{1}{2}\left( T^{\mu\rho\nu} \ T_{\rho\mu\nu} + T^{\rho\mu\nu} \ T_{\nu\mu\rho} \right) .[/tex] In the second term on the RHS, lower the indices on the first tensor and raise them on the second tensor
    [tex]T^{\rho\mu\nu} \ T_{\nu\mu\rho} = \frac{1}{2}\left( T^{\mu\rho\nu} \ T_{\rho\mu\nu} + T_{\rho\mu\nu} \ T^{\nu\mu\rho} \right) .[/tex] Using the antisymmetry and dividing by 2, we obtain
    [tex]\frac{1}{4} T^{\mu\rho\nu} T_{\rho\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{4} T^{\nu\rho\mu} T_{\rho\mu\nu} = \frac{1}{2} T^{\rho\mu\nu}T_{\nu\mu\rho} = - \frac{1}{2} T^{\rho\mu\nu} T_{\nu\rho\mu}.[/tex] And finally, we rewrite this identity in the form
    [tex]\frac{1}{4} T^{\mu\rho\nu} T_{\rho\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{4} T^{\nu\rho\mu} T_{\rho\mu\nu} = - \frac{1}{2} T^{\rho\mu}{}_{\nu} \ T^{\nu}{}_{\rho\mu} .[/tex] Now, substituting this identity in (2) leads to [tex]A = \frac{1}{4} T^{\rho\mu\nu} T_{\rho\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2} T^{\rho\mu}{}_{\nu} \ T^{\nu}{}_{\rho\mu} . \ \ \ (4)[/tex] Now, put (3) and (4) in (1), you get
    [tex]S^{\rho\mu\nu}T_{\rho\mu\nu} = \frac{1}{4} T^{\rho\mu\nu} T_{\rho\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2} T^{\rho\mu}{}_{\nu} \ T^{\nu}{}_{\rho\mu} + T^{\alpha\mu}{}_{\alpha} \ T^{\rho}{}_{\rho\mu} .[/tex]
    Okay, don’t forget my coffee.
    Sam

7. Jul 28, 2015 #6
    I owe you a black coffee :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook