Computing Riemann Tensor: 18 Predicted Non-Trivial Terms

In summary, the Riemann Tensor of the given diagonal metric has 18 potential non-trivial terms based on the basic rule of antisymmetry and symmetry. However, after checking each term, only 3 of them are non-zero. One additional non-trivial term is missing, which is equal to b^2/(b^2+r^2)^2.
JD_PM
TL;DR Summary
I want to understand why I do not get all non-zero terms and also if there's a way to refine better than I did.
I want to compute the Riemann Tensor of the following metric

$$ds^2 = dr^2+(r^2+b^2)d \theta^2 +(r^2+b^2)\sin^2 \theta d \phi^2 -dt^2$$

Before going through it I'd like to try to predict how many non-trivial components we'd expect to get, based on the Riemann tensor basic rule:

It is antisymmetric in its first and second pairs of indices but symmetric under exchange of these two pairs, i.e.:

$$R_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}=-R_{\nu \mu \rho \sigma}=-R_{\mu \nu \sigma \rho}=R_{\rho \sigma \mu \nu} \tag 2$$

OK. My conclusions are:

1) Based on ##(2)## I understand that terms with 3 or 4 repeated indices will vanish.

2) Based on ##(2)## and the fact that we're dealing with a diagonal metric, I see that we need to have one index repeated at least twice if we want to get a non-trivial term.

So based on such analysis I get 18 potential non-trivial terms:

$$R_{r \theta r \theta}, \ \ R_{r \phi r \phi}, \ \ R_{\theta \phi \theta \phi}, \ \ R_{r t r t}, \ \ R_{\theta t \theta t}, \ \ R_{\phi t \phi t}, \ \ R_{r \theta r \phi}, \ \ R_{\theta r \theta \phi}, \ \ R_{\phi r \phi \theta}$$ $$R_{ t r t \phi}, \ \ R_{t \theta t \phi}, \ \ R_{\phi \theta \phi t}, \ \ R_{t r t \theta}, \ \ R_{\theta r \theta t}, \ \ R_{\theta \phi \theta t}, \ \ R_{r \theta r t}, \ \ R_{\phi r \phi t}, \ \ R_{r \phi r t} \tag3$$

Note that we can get more than 18 non-trivial terms out of antisymmetry and symmetry operations on these 18 terms.

OK now is time to check this; Mathematica yields (for anyone interested in the code check Artes solution here):

Captura de pantalla (1069).png

Note we get 12 non-trivial terms. And this result includes the terms obtained out of symmetry and antisymmetry operations.

Mmm interesting. I checked every single term in (3) and only these three are non-zero:

$$R_{r \theta r \theta}=\frac{-b^2}{b^2+r^2}$$

$$R_{r \phi r \phi}=\frac{-b^2 \sin^2 (\theta)}{b^2 +r^2}$$

$$R_{\theta \phi \theta \phi}=\frac{b^2 \sin^2 (\theta)}{b^2 +r^2}$$

Besides, note that there's a non-trivial term that I am not getting:

$$R_{? ? ? ?}=\frac{b^2}{(b^2 +r^2)^2}$$

Mmm what am I missing?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you 😀

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the Riemann tensor in computing?

The Riemann tensor is a mathematical object used in differential geometry to describe the curvature of a space. In computing, it is often used in the study of general relativity and in the development of algorithms for solving differential equations.

2. How is the Riemann tensor computed?

The Riemann tensor is computed using a series of mathematical equations that involve the metric tensor, which describes the distance between points in a space, and the Christoffel symbols, which describe how the metric tensor changes as you move through the space.

3. What are the applications of computing the Riemann tensor?

The Riemann tensor has many applications in physics and engineering, including in the study of general relativity, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism. It is also used in computer graphics to model the deformation of surfaces and in machine learning algorithms for image recognition.

4. What are the 18 predicted non-trivial terms in the Riemann tensor?

The 18 predicted non-trivial terms in the Riemann tensor refer to the 18 unique components of the tensor that are not equal to zero. These terms represent the curvature of a space in different directions and are crucial in understanding the geometry of a space.

5. How does computing the Riemann tensor contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By computing the Riemann tensor, scientists are able to better understand the curvature of space and how it affects the behavior of matter and energy. This is essential in studying the laws of physics and the structure of the universe, including the formation of galaxies and the behavior of black holes.