Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Toss coin probabilities (Bino vs Gauss approx)

1. May 24, 2015 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Hi, I calculated the probability to this scenario:
    getting between 3 and 6 Heads after tossing a coin for n=10 trials...

The binomial probability for this is:
    [itex]P(3 \le k \le 6) = \sum_{k=3}^6 Bi(k;p,n)= \sum_{k=3}^6 \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!} p^k (1-p)^{n-k} =\sum_{k=3}^6 \frac{10!}{k!(10-k)!} (0.5)^{10} = 0.7734375 [/itex]

Whereas for the Gaussian approximation to the binomial:
    [itex] G(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi n p (1-p) }} \exp\Big( - \frac{ (x-np)^2}{2np(1-p)} \Big)[/itex]

I get:
    [itex]P(3 \le x \le 6) = \int_3^6 dx~ G(x) = ... = 0.633505 [/itex]

My question is why are the two probabilities so off from each other? Is it because [itex]n[/itex] cannot be considered as "large" ? I think when extracting the Gauss approximation, the additional higher orders go as [itex]\frac{1}{n}= 0.1[/itex] but that's for the gaussian distribution ##G## and not the integral of it.
    Any feedback?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. May 24, 2015 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

So the difference is mainly due to the fact that [itex]np= n(1-p)=5[/itex] is not large enoguh? So Gauss can go a bit off in its predictions (here ~10%)...

The strange thing is that this is the only rule the approximation break, whereas the other two rules give:
    [itex] \Big| \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} \Big( \sqrt{\frac{q}{p}} -\sqrt{\frac{p}{q}} \Big) \Big| = 0 <0.3 [/itex]
    and
    [itex] np \pm 3 \sqrt{npq} \in [0.26 , 9.74 ] [/itex] which is in [0,n=10]...

For the calculations I try to build my own source codes just for a practice :smile: (or check with the formulas in wolframalpha), and so far my numerical methods work fine.

5. May 30, 2015 #4
    You are forgetting the continuity correction: $$ P(3 \le x \le 6) \approx \int_{2.5}^{6.5} G(x)~dx \approx 0.7717 $$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook