Total absorption through medium along ray

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the formula for absorption of radiance along a ray in a 3D graphics book. The formula is given as exp(-int_0^d(o(p+tv)dt)) and involves the probability density of absorption at a given point. The conversation also discusses setting up the equation and using an integrating factor to solve it, with some corrections and clarifications made along the way. The final equation is L(d) = exp(-int_0^d(o(p+tv)dt)), with the understanding that the incoming radiance is not zero.
cronusf
I have a 3D graphics book, which gives the formula for absorption of radiance along a ray. I am trying to derive the details and would like to see if my derivation is correct.

Let o(p) be the probability density that light is absorbed per unit length at point p.

They give the formula as: exp( -int_0^d(o(p+tv)dt) )

where p is the starting point of the ray entering the medium, and it exits at the point p+dv.

So to set this up, I look at a small section along the ray, to see how much light is absorbed across that small section of length h. I also recast things in terms of t, since the position along the ray is a function of t. Let L(t) denote the light radiance at point t.

L(t+h) = L(t) - o(t)*h*L(t)

That is, the light radiance after passing through a segment of length h equals the incoming light radiance minus the amount absorbed.

[L(t+h) - L(t)] / h + o(t)*L(t) = 0

Taking the limit h-->0

dL(t) / dt + o(t)*L(t) = 0

I multiply by integrating factor exp(int_0^t(o(t)dt))

to get

(exp(int_0^t(o(t)dt)) * L(t))' = 0

Integrating from 0 to d:

exp(int_0^d(o(t)dt))*L(d) - exp(int_0^0(o(t)dt))*L(0) = C

We know L(0) = 0 since no absorption yet.

L(d) = C*exp(-int_0^d(o(t)dt))

I'm not sure how to get rid of the C. I think it should not have occurred since I use definite integral. Also, is my integrating factor correct: exp(int_0^t(o(t)dt))??

Physics news on Phys.org
cronusf said:
I have a 3D graphics book, which gives the formula for absorption of radiance along a ray. I am trying to derive the details and would like to see if my derivation is correct.

Let o(p) be the probability density that light is absorbed per unit length at point p.

They give the formula as: exp( -int_0^d(o(p+tv)dt) )

where p is the starting point of the ray entering the medium, and it exits at the point p+dv.

So to set this up, I look at a small section along the ray, to see how much light is absorbed across that small section of length h. I also recast things in terms of t, since the position along the ray is a function of t. Let L(t) denote the light radiance at point t.

L(t+h) = L(t) - o(t)*h*L(t)

If you want to rephrase in terms of t, it should be o(p+tv), not o(t). Also, you meant "the light radiance at time t", not "the light radiance at point t".

That is, the light radiance after passing through a segment of length h equals the incoming light radiance minus the amount absorbed.

[L(t+h) - L(t)] / h + o(t)*L(t) = 0

Taking the limit h-->0

dL(t) / dt + o(t)*L(t) = 0

I multiply by integrating factor exp(int_0^t(o(t)dt))

to get

(exp(int_0^t(o(t)dt)) * L(t))' = 0

Integrating from 0 to d:

exp(int_0^d(o(t)dt))*L(d) - exp(int_0^0(o(t)dt))*L(0) = C

That last one is not correct. When you do a definite integral (with limits) you don't get an integration constant. So you should have 0 on the right hand side (the integral of 0 from a to b is still 0). Also, remember the o(p+tv).

We know L(0) = 0 since no absorption yet.

No, L(0) is your incoming radiance, so it is not zero. Just leave it in, or choose it equal to 1 as they have done in the book. Your equation above, where I have corrected by putting C=0 and the o(p+tv) then leads to:

L(d) = exp(-int_0^d(o(p+tv)dt))

Torquil

What is "Total absorption through medium along ray"?

"Total absorption through medium along ray" refers to the phenomenon where a medium absorbs all of the energy from a ray of light passing through it, resulting in no light being transmitted through the medium.

How does total absorption through medium along ray occur?

Total absorption through medium along ray occurs when the energy of the light ray is absorbed by the particles of the medium, causing them to vibrate and dissipate the energy as heat.

What factors affect the amount of total absorption through medium along ray?

The amount of total absorption through medium along ray can be affected by the thickness and composition of the medium, as well as the wavelength and intensity of the light passing through it.

What is the difference between total absorption and partial absorption through medium along ray?

Total absorption through medium along ray results in all of the energy being absorbed by the medium, while partial absorption allows some of the energy to pass through and be transmitted.

How is total absorption through medium along ray used in scientific research?

Total absorption through medium along ray can be used in various fields of science, such as spectroscopy, to study the properties of different materials and their interactions with light.