1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total forces acting downward on the plane

1. Jan 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm asked to find whether the object is moving or not
    in this question , i was given the solution like this , i am wondering why the tension from 100kg to the roller(up) and the tension from point B to roller doesnt cancel each other?

Total force acting down the slope ignoring friction for the moment is

150 + 100*9.81*sin 20 - 784 = -299.3

F_s = 0.2 *100 * 9.81 *cos(20) = 276.6N. Since the upward force is greater than this, the block is moving. Now we can use sliding friction in the sum of forces:

Total F = -299.3 + 0.2 x 100 x 9.81 x cos(20) = -299.3 + 184.4 = -114.9N. the minus sign says the sum of forces is upward, and the block slides up the ramp.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2016 #2
  4. Jan 9, 2016 #3
    You have to use static friction to find if the block is moving or not, you are using the kinetic friction!

For the tension, when you isolate one of the blocks, tension force acts on it. When you isolate the ENTIRE system, tension cancels itself because it does not contribute to the motion of the system as a whole.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted