Find the force so that all blocks are at rest with respect to each other

In summary, when analyzing the forces on the objects in this system, it is important to consider all contact forces and external forces acting on each object. The frictional forces acting on the blocks and cart must also be taken into account. When considering the forces acting on the cart, it is important to include the contact force between the pulley and the cart, even though the pulley can be considered as massless for linear acceleration purposes. The moment of inertia of the pulley only becomes relevant if there is tangential acceleration, which is not the case in this scenario. The minimum force given in this problem will result in the minimum acceleration for the system.
songoku
Homework Statement
(diagram given below)

Block 1 is put on top of a cart having mass 10 kg and block 2 is connected to block 1 through ideal pulley as shown in diagram (there is contact between cart and block 2). If coefficient of friction between block 1 and cart and block 2 and cart is 0.2, find the force F and acceleration of the system so block 1 and 2 are at rest with respect to the cart (mass of block 1 = 2 kg, mass of block 2 = 3 kg, the floor is frictionless and take acceleration due to gravity = 10 N/kg)
Relevant Equations
ΣF = m.a
friction = μ.N
Untitled 1.png

Free body diagram one each object:
Block 1:
Normal force upwards, weight downwards, tension to the right, friction to the left

Block 2:
Normal force to the right, tension upwards, weight downwards, friction upwards

Cart:
Contact force with block 1 downwards, contact force with block 2 to the left, external force to the right, weight downwards, friction with block 1 to the rightEquation:
Block 1:
friction = μ.N1 = 0.2 x 30 = 6 N

ΣF = m.a
T - friction = 3a
T = 3a + 6Block 2:
ΣF = m.a
N2 = 2a

T + friction2 = W
3a + 6 + 0.2 x 2a = 20
a = 4.12 ms-2Cart:
I did 2 different working to find F but ended up with different results.
(1) Taking all the 3 objects as one system, so the horizontal force acting on the system is F only
ΣF = mtotal.a
F = 15a = 61.8 N

(2) Only considering forces acting on the cart:
ΣF = m.a
F + friction with cart 1 - N2 = m.a
F = 10a + 2a - 6 = 43.4 NWhere is my mistake? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
(2) Only considering forces acting on the cart:
ΣF = m.a
F + friction with cart 1 - N2 = m.a
I believe you left out one of the horizontal forces acting on the cart. Anything that touches the cart can exert a contact force on the cart.

Likes songoku
TSny said:
I believe you left out one of the horizontal forces acting on the cart. Anything that touches the cart can exert a contact force on the cart.
You mean the contact force between cart and pulley?

songoku said:
You mean the contact force between cart and pulley?
Yes, assuming that you are not considering the pulley as part of the cart.

Or, you may consider the pulley as part of the cart. Then you would consider any forces that the string exerts on the pulley as forces acting on the cart.

Either approach is fine.

Likes songoku
TSny said:
Yes, assuming that you are not considering the pulley as part of the cart.

Or, you may consider the pulley as part of the cart. Then you would consider any forces that the string exerts on the pulley as forces acting on the cart.

Either approach is fine.
If I consider pulley and cart separately, should I put mass of pulley when I use my 1st approach?

(1) Taking all the 3 objects as one system, so the horizontal force acting on the system is F only
ΣF = mtotal.a

So total mass is the sum of masses of 4 objects?

songoku said:
friction to the left
How did you decide that? Are you looking for the minimum, maximum acceleration or range?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
How did you decide that? Are you looking for the minimum, maximum acceleration or range?
I am assuming the force given is minimum so acceleration is minimum

songoku said:
If I consider pulley and cart separately, should I put mass of pulley when I use my 1st approach?
The pulley can be considered to be massless.

Likes songoku
TSny said:
The pulley can be considered to be massless.
It can be considered massless but it still can exert contact force on the cart in this question?

songoku said:
It can be considered massless but it still can exert contact force on the cart in this question?
Yes.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Yes.
Why? Because I think if an object is considered massless it won't exert contact force

Thanks

songoku said:
Why? Because I think if an object is considered massless it won't exert contact force

Thanks
You can't conceive of a strut that is strong but so light that its mass is irrelevant?

But in the present case, for the purposes of linear acceleration its mass can be included in the mass of the block. The only reason for wanting to say it is massless is because of its rotational acceleration. So we could instead take it to be very small, so that its rotational inertia is negligible.

Likes songoku
The problem would be the same if you replaced the pulley with a protrusion of the cart such that the rope slides without friction over the protrusion.

1579276733792.png

Likes songoku and jim mcnamara
TSny said:
The problem would be the same if you replaced the pulley with a protrusion of the cart such that the rope slides without friction over the protrusion.

View attachment 255724
Except for the moment of inertia of the pulley leading to a difference in tensions.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Except for the moment of inertia of the pulley leading to a difference in tensions.
But the pulley was stated to be "ideal". I take that to mean no inertia.

Likes songoku
TSny said:
But the pulley was stated to be "ideal". I take that to mean no inertia.
If it's ideal it has no mass, right? I took your post to be explaining how it doesn't matter if it has mass, so not ideal.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
If it's ideal it has no mass, right? I took your post to be explaining how it doesn't matter if it has mass, so not ideal.
OK. I didn't mean to imply that you could replace the pulley by a slippery surface if the pulley has mass.

Likes songoku
TSny said:
OK. I didn't mean to imply that you could replace the pulley by a slippery surface if the pulley has mass.
Ah, ok.

Likes songoku
TSny said:
Well, if the string is not accelerating tangentially across the pulley (and it isn't in this case) then the moment of inertia of the pulley will not matter.

Likes songoku and TSny
jbriggs444 said:
Well, if the string is not accelerating tangentially across the pulley (and it isn't in this case) then the moment of inertia of the pulley will not matter.
Yes, I forgot it is not accelerating.

Likes songoku
I get it. Thank you very much for all the help TSny, haruspex, jbriggs444

1. What is the concept of finding the force to keep all blocks at rest?

The concept involves using Newton's Laws of Motion to calculate the force needed to keep all the blocks in equilibrium, or at rest with respect to each other.

2. How do you determine the force needed to keep all blocks at rest?

The force needed can be determined by first identifying all the forces acting on each block, and then using Newton's Second Law (F=ma) to calculate the net force needed to counteract those forces and keep the blocks at rest.

3. What factors affect the force needed to keep all blocks at rest?

The force needed can be affected by the mass of the blocks, the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the surface they are on, and any external forces acting on the blocks such as gravity or applied forces.

4. How does the placement of the blocks affect the force needed to keep them at rest?

The placement of the blocks can affect the force needed because it can change the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on each block. For example, if the blocks are stacked on top of each other, the force needed to keep them at rest will need to counteract the downward force of gravity.

5. Can you use this concept to find the force between two specific blocks?

Yes, this concept can be applied to find the force between any two specific blocks. By isolating those two blocks and considering the forces acting on them, the net force needed to keep them at rest with respect to each other can be calculated.