Total Lunar Eclipse 8th Oct 2014

In summary, a total lunar eclipse will be visible for all Pacific and parts of it for most of USA parts of South America, Central Asia. It will be cloudier and showery tonight, but will be clear by the time totality occurs.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
hi guys and gals

a total lunar eclipse will be visible for all Pacific and parts of it for most of USA parts of South America, Central Asia

CC_Oct14_EclipseMap2_crop1-630x294.png

cheers
Dave

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thanks, Davenn! I didn't know there was an eclipse tonight!

:) no probs, do you (your location) fall within the totality area ?

after 3 cloudless days, its totally cloudy and showery here today, not looking good for tonite :(

Dave

Yes, but it will be pretty early in the morning by the time it hits totality, so we'll see.

Doggone. Should have gone to Hawaii.

One of the nice things about following professional photographers on Facebook, is that one of them invariably shares the works of their fellows:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/q89/s720x720/10641090_10153270778519478_1114441611559454376_n.jpg?oh=409bd9446197c5c08f4c132e794d1a22&oe=54C711A4&__gda__=1420712535_ccadd1641213f97b0e502ecdc9cefe2c
Lake Selmac, Oregon
April 15th, of 2014
Heres an image i made on the last blood moon we had
It pretty much changed my life. Figured I would share it here to help hype everyone up for tomorrow!
Where will you guys be? Happy Clear Skies everyone!

--- Jasman Lion Mander
posted yesterday

Likes Greg Bernhardt
that's a nice one :)

sky has partly cleared here ... still hoping it will improve more ~ 4 hrs till eclipse start time

Dave

It's raining here. :L

was looking good here right up till 30 mins before the start just a few scattered clouds
then it pretty much totally clouded over ...
got a couple of the partial phase .. max totality is still 30 mins away so praying for a couple more gaps

so freakin' frustrating :(

Dave

PS totality starts in 2 minutes here

And I'm about to have to go to bed too... :s

I will post a couple of totality pics if I get them ... even if a bit cloud covered

good nite :)

From my little point-and-shoot.
moon_2.jpg
moon_3.jpg
moon_5.jpg
moon_6.jpg
moon_7.jpg

Likes Drakkith, OmCheeto, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person
cool well done!, Don :)

davenn said:
cool well done!, Don :)
Thanks. But they're not Andy Resnick quality. :D

well they are better than what I have seen tonite
where in the world are you Don ?

I'm in California and set the alarm so I could watch this. I also watched some live video feeds, but they were "upside down", since the live feeds I saw were from Australia. Also got to see two meteors during the times I was outside.

Likes davenn
I had a nightmare last night that was so horrible, it woke me up.
I dreamt that I had just woken up, and it was 6:30 in the morning.
Fortunately, the nightmare occurred at 3:36 am, and I got to watch much of it.

Likes davenn
Thank you very much for this heads up. I was worried that clouds and scattered showers would continue here but by 4 AM they had cleared and the night sky was very clear. The full moon was so bright that here, given East Coast US conditions, that only perhaps 50 stars were visible due to the "wash out". As the shadow creeped across the Moon, more and more stars became visible and it was wonderful celestial theater.

Then I got an unexpected treat! Just as Totality was occurring the Sun began to "rise", opposite the Moon. This was occurring here just as the Moon was nearing the Horizon. It truly was a "Blood Moon" to behold. I'm hoping for some local photos better than mine.

well the weather totally crapped out here :(
saw a few glimpses of the partial phase then nothing of totality
and of course I wake to a stunning sunny spring morning today
the mind boggles, that's 2 total lunar eclipses I have missed this year due to clouds on the nite :(

not a happy camper

OmCheeto said:
I had a nightmare last night that was so horrible, it woke me up.
I dreamt that I had just woken up, and it was 6:30 in the morning.
Fortunately, the nightmare occurred at 3:36 am, and I got to watch much of it.

Ah, I see you got my psychic message to you about the burnt beans. Horrible, I know... :(

Likes nsaspook
davenn said:
... where in the world are you Don ?
Kansas, USA

haven't been up and down the roads of Kansas since 2006

( one of my Midwest storm chasing trips)

I saw the eclipse from the balcony of my university atrium. It was quite cloudy but I could still see the reddish hue piercing through. It was my first proper experience of an eclipse and I was happy to be able to witness it, even if it was just for 10 minutes or so.

Likes dlgoff

What is a total lunar eclipse?

A total lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth comes between the Sun and the Moon, blocking the Sun's light from reaching the Moon. This causes the Moon to appear reddish in color, giving it the nickname "blood moon."

When did the total lunar eclipse on 8th Oct 2014 occur?

The total lunar eclipse on 8th Oct 2014 occurred in the early hours of the morning, starting at 4:17 am UTC and ending at 9:33 am UTC.

Why was the total lunar eclipse on 8th Oct 2014 significant?

The total lunar eclipse on 8th Oct 2014 was significant because it was the second in a series of four consecutive total lunar eclipses, known as a tetrad. It also coincided with the Jewish holiday of Sukkot and the Christian holiday of the Feast of Tabernacles.

Where was the total lunar eclipse on 8th Oct 2014 visible?

The total lunar eclipse on 8th Oct 2014 was visible from most parts of North America, South America, and East Asia. It was also partially visible from parts of Europe, Africa, and Australia.

How often do total lunar eclipses occur?

Total lunar eclipses occur on average about twice a year, but a tetrad of four consecutive total lunar eclipses is much rarer, only happening about once every few years.