Total Mechanical Energy Problem

In summary, the roller coaster has a total mechanical energy of 17640 J at location A, with a height of 15 m above the ground and a velocity of 0 m/s. As it moves towards location B, which is only 3 m above the ground, the roller coaster will gain kinetic energy and maintain its total mechanical energy due to the conservation of energy in the absence of friction. To find the velocity at points B, C, and D, you can use the equation PE = KE and solve for velocity. The kinetic energy at these points can also be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2mv^2.
Snape1830
The 120 kg roller coaster just makes it to the top of hill A that is 15 m above the ground. It moves forward, picking up speed towards location B which is only 3 m above the ground. What is the total energy of the roller coaster as it passes location B, C, and D? Note: the velocity at the top of the hill is 0 m/s. The height of C= 8m and the height of D = 0 m. Ignore friction.

I know that total mechanical energy (TME) = PE + KE. However, I only have the velocity at the top of the hill and not at points B,C, and D. How do I find the velocity? I think I've done something like the Initial PE= final KE, but is that right? My teacher never told us that. Then further down on the questions it asks us to find the velocity of the roller coaster at these points, so is there a way to find TME without knowing the velocity? Do I use Work = change in kinetic energy?

Then another question asks us to find the kinetic energy at these points.

Please help I'm really stuck!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without friction, total mechanical energy is a conserved quantity. What's the total mechanical energy at location A?

gneill said:
Without friction, total mechanical energy is a conserved quantity. What's the total mechanical energy at location A?
PE= mgh. So PE= 17640 JOhh I get it! So 17640=TME since kientic energy is 0 J. I completely forgot about that. Thanks!

Snape1830 said:
PE= mgh. So PE= 17640 J

Ohh I get it! So 17640=TME since kientic energy is 0 J. I completely forgot about that. Thanks!

:smile: You're welcome.

Hello,

To calculate the total mechanical energy (TME) of the roller coaster at points B, C, and D, we first need to find the velocity at these points. We can use the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another.

At point A, the roller coaster has only potential energy (PE) as it is at rest. As it moves down the hill, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy (KE). At point B, the roller coaster has lost some potential energy but gained some kinetic energy. We can use the equation PE = mgh (mass x gravity x height) to calculate the potential energy at point A. Since the velocity at the top of the hill is 0 m/s, the kinetic energy at point A is also 0.

At point B, the roller coaster has lost 15 m of height, so the potential energy is now mgh = (120 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(15 m) = 17,640 J. To find the velocity at point B, we can use the equation KE = 1/2mv^2 (1/2 x mass x velocity squared). We know the mass (120 kg) and the kinetic energy (17,640 J), so we can solve for the velocity: v = √(2KE/m) = √(2 x 17,640 J / 120 kg) = 14.7 m/s.

We can use the same process to find the velocity at points C and D. At point C, the height has decreased by 12 m, so the potential energy is now mgh = (120 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(12 m) = 11,520 J. The velocity can be found using the same equation as before: v = √(2KE/m) = √(2 x 11,520 J / 120 kg) = 12.3 m/s.

At point D, the height has decreased by 8 m, so the potential energy is now mgh = (120 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(8 m) = 9,600 J. Again, we can use the same equation to find the velocity: v = √(2KE/m) = √(2 x 9,600 J / 120 kg) = 10 m

1. What is total mechanical energy?

Total mechanical energy is the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy in a system. It is a measure of the energy an object possesses due to its position and motion.

2. How is total mechanical energy calculated?

The total mechanical energy of a system is calculated by adding the kinetic energy, which is equal to 1/2mv^2, and the potential energy, which is equal to mgh, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. Is total mechanical energy conserved?

According to the law of conservation of energy, total mechanical energy is conserved in a closed system. This means that the total amount of energy in the system remains constant, even if it is transferred between different forms of energy such as kinetic and potential energy.

4. What happens to total mechanical energy when work is done on a system?

When work is done on a system, the total mechanical energy of the system will change. If work is done by a conservative force, such as gravity, the change in total mechanical energy will be equal to the work done. However, if work is done by a non-conservative force, such as friction, some of the mechanical energy will be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat.

5. How is total mechanical energy useful in solving problems?

Total mechanical energy is useful in solving problems because it allows us to analyze the motion of an object by considering its energy instead of individual forces. By using the conservation of energy principle, we can solve for unknown variables, such as velocity or height, without needing to know the specific forces acting on the object.