Mechanical Energy of two Cannonballs fired at two different angles

In summary: Note that mechanical energy is conserved in these scenarios, which means it is constant over time, and depends only on the mass and initial muzzle velocity.
Mustard
Homework Statement
A 20.0-kg cannonball is fired from a cannon with muzzle speed of 1,000 m/s at an angle of 37.0 degrees with the horizontal. A second ball is fired at an angle of 90.0 degrees. Use the isolated system model to find (a) the maximum height reached by each ball and (b) the total mechanical energy of the ball–Earth system at the maximum height for each ball. Let y=0 at the cannon.
Relevant Equations
ME = PE + KE
I solved for both heights: h1 = (1.85x10^4)m, h2 = (5.10 x 10^4)m

Question is knowing ME = PE + KE for ball at h1 (angled 37 degrees), is it safe to assume there would be no KE as velocity would equal zero at the highest point? So the mechanical energy = mgh ? Would it be the same for ball at h2?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the horizontal components of velocity of each ball at the highest points in their trajectory? Hint: Draw a diagram of each trajectory and draw on the velocity vector at the highest point.

etotheipi said:
What are the horizontal components of velocity of each ball at the highest points in their trajectory? Hint: Draw a diagram of each trajectory and draw on the velocity vector at the highest point.
By horizontal components do you mean Vx? For the first it would be Vx=1000(cos37degrees), 2nd ball would not have a Vx component?

Mustard said:
By horizontal components do you mean Vx? For the first it would be Vx=1000(cos37degrees), 2nd ball would not have a Vx component?

Right, yes. So what's the kinetic energy of each at the highest point in the trajectory?

etotheipi said:
Right, yes. So what's the kinetic energy of each at the highest point in the trajectory?
Hmmm, conceptually...I am having a hard time grasping why wouldn't kinetic energy be equal zero at the highest point since velocity would be zero?

But for the first ball, it won't have kinetic energy in the y-direction but it would have kinetic energy in the x-direction?
KEx=0.5(20)(Vx)^2​
For the 2nd ball, if we continue this train of thought it would be no KE in x-direction and KE in y-direction:
KEy=0.5(20)(1000)^2​

The kinetic energy of a body is defined as ##T = \frac{1}{2}m(\vec{v} \cdot \vec{v}) = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}m({v_x}^2 + {v_y}^{2}) = \frac{1}{2}m{v_x}^2 + \frac{1}{2}m{v_y}^2##.

You can then in a sense treat the kinetic energy in both directions separately. All that you need to do is find ##v_x## and ##v_y## at the top of the motion. You already know that ##v_y = 0## at the top of the trajectory since you used this fact to determine the heights. And in post #3 you worked out the horizontal components, ##v_x##.

So what are the kinetic energies of each?

etotheipi said:
The kinetic energy of a body is defined as ##T = \frac{1}{2}m(\vec{v} \cdot \vec{v}) = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}m({v_x}^2 + {v_y}^{2}) = \frac{1}{2}m{v_x}^2 + \frac{1}{2}m{v_y}^2##.

You can then in a sense treat the kinetic energy in both directions separately. All that you need to do is find ##v_x## and ##v_y## at the top of the motion. You already know that ##v_y = 0## at the top of the trajectory since you used this fact to determine the heights. And in post #3 you worked out the horizontal components, ##v_x##.

So what are the kinetic energies of each?
Ohhh! So KE for ball 1 = 0.5(20)(Vx)^2 , 2nd ball would not have KE. So told solve for ME for ball one would be:
ME = KE
*No PE since there is KE?*​
Solving for ME for ball two would be:
ME = PE​

Mustard said:
So told solve for ME for ball one would be:
ME = KE
*No PE since there is KE?*​

The Earth-ball system definitely still has PE! It's just it also has KE too.

Likes Mustard
etotheipi said:
The Earth-ball system definitely still has PE! It's just it also has KE too.
Hmmm, I think I got it! ME for both are equal around 10,000,000 J. Thank you very much, I appreciate you!

Likes etotheipi
Mustard said:
Hmmm, I think I got it! ME for both are equal around 10,000,000 J. Thank you very much, I appreciate you!

Note that mechanical energy is conserved in these scenarios, which means it is constant over time, and depends only on the mass and initial muzzle velocity.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the definition of mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of potential energy and kinetic energy in a system. Potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is mechanical energy related to the motion of cannonballs fired at different angles?

The mechanical energy of a cannonball is determined by its mass, velocity, and height above the ground. When a cannonball is fired at an angle, it has both horizontal and vertical components of motion, which contribute to its kinetic energy. The potential energy of the cannonball is also affected by its height above the ground, which changes as it moves along its trajectory.

3. How does the angle of firing affect the mechanical energy of the cannonballs?

The angle of firing affects the mechanical energy of the cannonballs by changing their initial velocity and height above the ground. A cannonball fired at a higher angle will have a greater initial potential energy, while a cannonball fired at a lower angle will have a greater initial kinetic energy. The total mechanical energy of the cannonball will be the same regardless of the firing angle.

4. What happens to the mechanical energy of the cannonballs as they travel through the air?

The mechanical energy of the cannonballs will change as they travel through the air due to the forces acting on them. As they move through the air, they will experience air resistance, which will cause them to lose some of their kinetic energy. However, if the cannonballs are fired at the same angle and with the same initial velocity, their total mechanical energy will remain constant.

5. How can the mechanical energy of the cannonballs be calculated?

The mechanical energy of the cannonballs can be calculated using the equation E = KE + PE, where E is the total mechanical energy, KE is the kinetic energy, and PE is the potential energy. The kinetic energy can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the cannonball and v is its velocity. The potential energy can be calculated using the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the cannonball, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height above the ground.