Total Moment of Inertia of Two Rods

In summary: P.I is the moment of inertia of the object at point P. So, we have:I = L*r*z*d/m where m is the mass of the object at point P.
Raios168

Homework Statement

The rods of length 2 meters and and mass 20 kg are joined at their ends to form a V shape. What is the total moment of inertia measured from the reference point perpendicular to the plane of the paper and at the point where the two rods are joined. (So find total moment of inertia at the edge of the V shape, but with respect to the plane perpendicular to the page). Also the rods are 60 degree apart.

Homework Equations

Moment of Inertia at the edge of a rod = 1/3 ML^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I not just add the two moments of inertia to get 2/3 ML^2 as the total?

EDIT: I think the correct way to do this is to find the CoM of the system (which will be the mid point of the line connecting the midpoints of the two rods). And then use parallel axis theorem to find the total moment of inertia about the CoM. And then apply parallel axis theorem again to find the MI about the the point connecting the two rods. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Either method should bring you to the same result. I know which way I'd choose if I was in a hurry :smile:

Raios168 said:

Homework Statement

The rods of length 2 meters and and mass 20 kg are joined at their ends to form a V shape. What is the total moment of inertia measured from the reference point perpendicular to the plane of the paper and at the point where the two rods are joined. (So find total moment of inertia at the edge of the V shape, but with respect to the plane perpendicular to the page). Also the rods are 60 degree apart.

Homework Equations

Moment of Inertia at the edge of a rod = 1/3 ML^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I not just add the two moments of inertia to get 2/3 ML^2 as the total?

EDIT: I think the correct way to do this is to find the CoM of the system (which will be the mid point of the line connecting the midpoints of the two rods). And then use parallel axis theorem to find the total moment of inertia about the CoM. And then apply parallel axis theorem again to find the MI about the the point connecting the two rods. Can anyone confirm this?

The only problem with the latter plan is how to calculate the MOI of the rods about the C.o.M. Because the rods are fixed together at one end, I think you have to calculate the MOI using integration or use the formula for calculating the MOI of a rod about a rotated coordinate axis.

SteamKing said:
The only problem with the latter plan is how to calculate the MOI of the rods about the C.o.M. Because the rods are fixed together at one end, I think you have to calculate the MOI using integration or use the formula for calculating the MOI of a rod about a rotated coordinate axis.
Hence my comment above...

Schaum's- 3000 Solved problem in Physics. page 212.
Rule: Moments of inertia about an axis are added algebraically.

azizlwl said:
Schaum's- 3000 Solved problem in Physics. page 212.
Rule: Moments of inertia about an axis are added algebraically.
I don't think this applies to this particular case.

The individual rods are not joined at their centroids, but at one end of each rod and at an angle to one another, in the shape of a V when looking parallel to the presumed axis of rotation.

You can calculate the MOI of each rod about one end, but combining the two is a bit trickier than you are led to believe by this 'Rule'.

Four coplanar, large, irregular masses are held by a rigid frame of negligible mass, as shown in figure 11-6. Taking an axis through P and perpendicular to the page, show that I=I1 +I2+I3+I4 where I1 is the moment of inertia of object 1 alone about the axis and similarly for the others.

p is intersection of lines joining the masses.

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
Four coplanar, large, irregular masses are held by a rigid frame of negligible mass, as shown in figure 11-6. Taking an axis through P and perpendicular to the page, show that I=I1 +I2+I3+I4 where I1 is the moment of inertia of object 1 alone about the axis and similarly for the others.

p is intersection of lines joining the masses.

It's not clear what I1 thru I4 represent. Are they supposed to be the moments of inertia for the individual masses referred to the axis thru P?

How exactly to you 'add algebraically' the MOI of one mass which is placed at an angle to another mass?

Last edited:
We can go to the basics for moment of inertia about an axis and write the integral for the given scenario. In the figure the z-axis projects out of the page:
Fig1.png

L is the length of each rod of mass M, the distance from the z-axis of a mass element is r. The domain of r is 0 to L, and a differential mass element is ##dm = (M/L)dr##.
$$ I = 2\int_0^L r^2 \frac{M}{L}~dr$$
It should be clear from the symmetry that the moment of inertia will be twice that of a single rod.

What is the definition of total moment of inertia?

The total moment of inertia of a system is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion, taking into account the distribution of mass and its distance from the axis of rotation.

How is the total moment of inertia calculated for two rods?

The total moment of inertia of two rods can be calculated by adding the individual moments of inertia of each rod, taking into account their respective masses and distances from the axis of rotation.

What is the significance of the axis of rotation in calculating the total moment of inertia?

The axis of rotation is crucial in calculating the total moment of inertia because it determines the distance at which the mass is situated from the axis. The further the mass is from the axis, the greater the moment of inertia will be.

Can the total moment of inertia of two rods be negative?

No, the total moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is a physical property that represents the distribution of mass around an axis and therefore must always be a positive value.

How does the total moment of inertia affect the rotational motion of the system?

The total moment of inertia has a direct impact on the rotational motion of the system. A larger moment of inertia means that more force is needed to produce the same amount of rotational acceleration, while a smaller moment of inertia will result in easier rotation.