Total resistance of 3 parallel resistive heating strips at 12V

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
goan
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I need to work out the total resistance of a heating element made up of 3 strips of resistive material in paralell. We are told that the unit is 12V and theheat is generated at a rate of 40W, I need to calculate the total resistance of the element. I kno I have to use the formula R=v²/r where R is the resistance, V is the voltage and r is the power(watts). i know that the voltage will be the same across all the strips but will the power, could you help me please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The power consumed is porportional to the total circiut resistance.

Thiis is a pretty straight forward problem, don't over think it.
 
goan said:
I need to work out the total resistance of a heating element made up of 3 strips of resistive material in paralell. We are told that the unit is 12V and theheat is generated at a rate of 40W, I need to calculate the total resistance of the element. I kno I have to use the formula R=v²/r where R is the resistance, V is the voltage and r is the power(watts). i know that the voltage will be the same across all the strips but will the power, could you help me please?



R(total)=3.6(ohm):blushing:
what is the problem here?
 
The power consumed is porportional to the total circiut resistance.

Inversely propotional.