Total surface area of gasoline droplets with 2 mm radius

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
saber1357
Messages
67
Reaction score
1
I have the following problem
Assume that 30.0 cm^3 of gasoline is atomized into N spherical droplets, each with a radius of 2.00 x 10^-3 m. What is the total surface area of these N spherical droplets?
I calculated the surface area of each atom to be 5x10^-9 m^2.
I also calculated the volume of each droplet to be 3.35x10^-14 m^3.
However, my mind can't seem to relate these numbers to my task. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First things first. Next time, please post this in the correct Homework Help section. This forum is for general academic advice not pertaining homework problems.:smile:

Ok, so you know you have N atoms each with a known surface area. If you know the surface area of one, what is stopping you from finding the total surface area of all of them?

HINT: What would be the surface area of 2 droplets? 3? 4? ...