1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc derivatives - Minimum total surface area in a box of V = 160 ft2

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    Hi everyone! I'm new to online math forums. I wonder if anyone can give me a hand on this - it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a box with a square base and an open top is to have a volume of 160 cubic feet, find the dimensions of the box having the minimum total surface area. Use calculus to find the solution.

2. Relevant equations

If X are the sides of the base, and Y is the height of the box, what would be the formula to find surface? How can the minimum surface be calculated using derivative applications?

3. The attempt at a solution

Surface = minimum possible
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

In terms of x and y, formulate an expression for the total outer surface area of the box.
  4. Apr 15, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

If "x" is the length of a side of the square base, y is the height of the box, then the base is an "x by x" square and there are four sides that are "x by y" rectangles. Do you know how to find the area of squares and rectangles?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook